A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This can be an issue when purchasing items online, such as this forum. I have been a victim of it a few times already, and have learned a few little tricks that may be helpful to you all as well. I will say, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING you can. The more you can get in writing, the better.

To begin, make sure you ask everything you'll need to know about the item, and make sure you get answers to all of them (some sellers may avoid 1 question because they know you wont like the answer). Make sure pictures of the item are provided, so you know what to expect.

Be a little weary of purchasing from members with very little posts. It's hard sometimes because many people join only to sell off a few parts. In that case, try and get some ebay feedback, or feedback off another forum. They aren't always bad people, but don't put all your trust in them. I also encourage you to use the new "itrader" feedback system on here to help build a database that will provide us as buyers and sellers with easier transactions and trust amongst each other.

When sending payment, NEVER send cash or checks unless you're meeting up. The best way to fight against people trying to rip you off, is to pay through PayPal WITH A CREDIT CARD.
The reason for this, is because paypal has some safety precautions to help in the event of a bad transaction between buyers and sellers, but they sometimes let you down. This is where purchasing with a credit card comes in hand. If making a dispute through paypal falls through and you feel they have wrongfully come to that conclusion, contact your credit card company and pursue a chargeback.

Once a chargeback dispute is opened, your credit card will attempt to recoup your money. They require you send them any documents that would help your case (emails, texts, letters from professionals, pictures, etc). If you never received the item, your claim should be easy. If you got an item that was broken, wrong, or inaccurately described, have a professional/knowledgeable person in that field write you a letter/sign it stating the issue.
Your credit card (CC) will also require you to attempt to return the item. Usually calling, texting, and emails with some documented proof of date, time, attempts, will be sufficient if the seller avoids all contact with you. You may be on your way to getting your money back and keeping the item. However, if you do make contact and have to send the item back, make sure you track it.

NEVER wait over the allotted time PayPal gives for a chance to dispute transactions. I'm not sure what the current time frame is now, possibly 30 days? If the seller is giving you excuses for not sending it out yet (trying to delay until after dispute time frame?), not providing a tracking number, or is not responding, go through with a dispute and let the seller know if they're ready to send the item, you will be glad to make another transaction once they're ready. This will give you the room to extend that dispute time frame again, in the event they fall through. I personally would be skeptical if they didn't send it the first time, but definitely don't go through with a third try. Lol

For now, that's all I have. If you have any additional tips for making purchases online, please inform us. PM me if you're trying to dispute something and need me to elaborate a little more on something, I'll be glad to try and help.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
39,045 Posts
Nice write up man. This is needed.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Anytime you meet someone from online (Craigslist, forums, whatever) always meet in a public place (Wal-Mart parking lot is my favorite) in daylight if at all possible. If not, do it directly under parking lot light. This way if things go sideways there can be witnesses and depending on the Wal-mart possibly cameras as well.

Also, if you are doing a meet like this only accept cash. Don't accept a check only to have it bounce 3 days later.

For added security I always keep my .40 in my center console because I can in TX. If your state has laws against this I don't recommend it.

So far I have bought/sold three sets of rims and the meets have always met the above conditions. Haven't had an issue yet.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Anytime you meet someone from online (Craigslist, forums, whatever) always meet in a public place (Wal-Mart parking lot is my favorite) in daylight if at all possible. If not, do it directly under parking lot light. This way if things go sideways there can be witnesses and depending on the Wal-mart possibly cameras as well.

Also, if you are doing a meet like this only accept cash. Don't accept a check only to have it bounce 3 days later.

For added security I always keep my .40 in my center console because I can in TX. If your state has laws against this I don't recommend it.

So far I have bought/sold three sets of rims and the meets have always met the above conditions. Haven't had an issue yet.
And don't brandish your firearm if things don't go according to plan lol. Firearm permits are for life threatening situations ONLY.....if you drop your exhaust or wheels or whatever in the persons vehicle and they try to take off, call the police and give them a description of the person, vehicle and any property they have. If you shoot up their car, you go to jail and they keep your shit.

Go Tarheels! Go Panthers!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Nice write sammy i'm sure they are plenty of other members that got scam but to ashame to post it. I think they should post it so other don't have to deal with it & put that Member/Vendor on blast.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
And don't brandish your firearm if things don't go according to plan lol. Firearm permits are for life threatening situations ONLY.....if you drop your exhaust or wheels or whatever in the persons vehicle and they try to take off, call the police and give them a description of the person, vehicle and any property they have. If you shoot up their car, you go to jail and they keep your shit.

I never said to pull it out lol. Only way mine is coming out is if I feel my life is in danger as in I have something (knife, bat, tire iron, firearm, etc) pulled on me. Same laws apply if I had a conceal and carry and that happened. Not once has anyone I have bought or sold from known I have it. You have to use a little intelligence here...

EDIT: After a quick reread of your comment I agree completely.
Sent via Tapatalk while driving your Mom's car, eating a cheese burger, and street racing.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You have to use a little intelligence here...

Sent via Tapatalk while driving your Mom's car, eating a cheese burger, and street racing.
Think about this statement and apply it to some of the random heroes on this forum lol. You have to more or less pull out crayons and construction paper and draw these kids a picture. You know as well as I do that common sense ain't so common.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Think about this statement and apply it to some of the random heroes on this forum lol. You have to more or less pull out crayons and construction paper and draw these kids a picture. You know as well as I do that common sense ain't so common.

Touche'

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A guy I knows brother met someone locally to buy some guitars off CL, in a public place. The sell asked the buyer to bring cash, and buyer told him he would not, he wanted to see them first.

The day they met, seller told him the guitars were in the trunk, so he popped it open, pulled a gun and told him to get in. The seller refused, and took off, got shot in the leg.

You gotta be careful with local meetings for sure. Lol. My post is mainly for the online side. But definitely bring at least one person with you when buying stuff, and don't meet at your house.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a tip for trading items...don't do it (online anyway). Make the other person sell you their item for a price (paypal), then sell your item to them at same price. This way you have a transaction record on paypal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts