A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So while I was shopping around for tires I came across some pretty interesting information about when and where your tires were made. I'm sure most of you guys know this already, but I thought it would be good to share for those that didn't (like me :tongue:). From what I learned, tires shouldn't sit on shelves for longer than 4-5 years because the begin to slowly dry rot and weaken. I think this is good info for people buying used tires or "new" tires for cheap from some sketch looking shops. It would really be unfortunate if your "new" tires unexpectedly blew out on the highway 2 months after buying them.

So starting with where to look. The information is usually listed in the inward facing side of the tires, but some manufacturers put them on both sides for convenience. But expect it to be on the inward side.
What you want to find is the place where it says "" followed by a 4 digit number/letter combination. The first two letters are the code that you use to find the location of where you tires were made. You can use this website to locate: Tire Codes 01-0P

Example on my tires:

P1020147.jpg

My tires location code is U8 which shows that they were made in the Nankang Factory in China.

Now for reading the date on when your tires were made. Shortly after the DOT code, there are another series of numbers. You want to look at the 4 digit number combination if your tires are manufactured after 2000 (which I pray they are). Tires The first two numbers represent the week of the year they were made in and the second number represents the year. Tires manufactured pre-2000 have a 3 digit code with the first two represent the week of that year and the 3rd number represents the year of that decade. So for example on my tires again:

P1020148(2).jpg

This number combo shows that they were made in the 43rd week of 2012. So they are in good condition.

Here are more examples:

This tire was made by Bridgestone/Firestone in Lavergne, TN on the 40th week of 2003.

blk_tire_laseretch419x302.jpg

This next tire was made by Kumho Tires in Gwangju, South Korea on the 35th week of 2007.

Tires1.jpg

Hope I helped you guys learn something :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't know Nankang got factory in China....thought always made in Taiwan...
But great info !!
haha thanks! And I guess they do have a factory there lol. The website listed the city as TAIWAN PROVINCE and the country as China. I could be wrong though :ugh:

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
haha thanks! And I guess they do have a factory there lol. The website listed the city as TAIWAN PROVINCE and the country as China. I could be wrong though :ugh:
There is no such thing as Taiwan PROVINCE, and i don't want go more details on this just a hassle. But hey your how to get hacked...get mods to clean up that morons' reply.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no such thing as Taiwan PROVINCE, and i don't want go more details on this just a hassle. But hey your how to get hacked...get mods to clean up that morons' reply.
Haha I gotcha. and yea I reported him already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts