A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my 2003 Sentra Spec-V has been running like crap. I have always performed scheduled maintenance, had a tune up less than 3000 miles ago but it's just not that fun to drive anymore. It's making some wierd noises now and, since last maintenance, I have had to add oil twice because there was none. I have never had to add oil between services.
I'm a girl, hate dealing with car related stuff. I don't know much about engines. Just to drive into an auto shop is a minimum $300. Please help me with what to say when I go to shop.
My car:
2003 Nissan Sentra SpecV 89,000 miles I drive like a maniac, but take care of my car.
The issues:
*Obviously burning/losing oil. No spots or drips on driveway-Totally clean!
*When driving at sustained speed, car starts making this whining noise as if I am wrong gear and should be shifting into higher gear. Revs stay the same, everything same except noise. If I take my foot off of the gas for a second, then back on, noise goes away and is all good again. After the last service, the problem went away for, like, a week. Now is back. I read several posts here about similar issues that required some kind of valve something... I don't understand so, if that is the problem, I don't know what to say to my mechanic. Apparently, "Ummm.... valve spark plug problem?" in mechanic translates to "You need a new clutch. That will be $700-$900". My clutch is still clutching. From what I have heard about a slipping clutches. This is not it.
*When accelerating, I have way less power. Like, merging onto freeway acceleration. There is kind of a put-put sound that I can only describe by sticking out my tongue and making a strawberry sound (doesn't help make me look less dumb to mechanic). Closest I can think of is that I feel like I am driving a geo metro. Not as fun as my car usually is.
If anyone can offer some advice as to what could be the problem and/or possible solution, I would be super appreciative if you could also share with me some "key phrases" that I can use when I speak to my mechanic later.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Power valves or Butterfly valves may have come loose inside the intake manifold and may have been ingested into the engine causing engine damage.

that with the combination of the Precat self destructing and being sucked back into the engine could cause ring seal issues and lead to excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
331 Posts
*When accelerating, I have way less power. Like, merging onto freeway acceleration. There is kind of a put-put sound that I can only describe by sticking out my tongue and making a strawberry sound (doesn't help make me look less dumb to mechanic). Closest I can think of is that I feel like I am driving a geo metro. Not as fun as my car usually is.
What kind of sound does a strawberry make? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic is the one that pointed out the oil issue during my last service. He said to keep an eye on it, and if problem continued, call him back. So, I began checking oil, called mechanic, he recommended a new clutch. Seriously, I don't think I need a new clutch.
Now, going to a different auto shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right??? Thank you!!!!! That is what I thought. My personal opinion is my mechanic is sick of me and my "my car isn't fun to drive anymore" whining.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.... How should I say that whole butterfly power valve thing when I speak to car mechanic? Is there anything else I should ask them to check?
And, that is something that would also cause the putt-putt issue?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
explain it like i mentioned above and if they are missing then it will definitely affect the performance... if it hasn't already damaged the engine.

do you have a bf or someone who is somewhat inclined? it's not difficult to take the manifold off and check it out. maybe someone in the Bay area will check it out for you on the forum....possibly free if you're hot and show some boobies! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, guys! I totally appreciate your assistance.

Re: Boobs Sexy works to my advantage a lot of the time, but has never gotten me anywhere in an auto shop(cars).

I'll let you guys know how it goes with mechanic. And, since this has been an issue for a while now, keep your fingers crossed for me that there isn't any major damage cuz that may delay my road trip to Texas planned for next week.

BTW, Who is Karl and what is he close to?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and my bad

Not Strawberry, RASPBERRY
You know? Like if you stick out your tongue and blow? Now you understand why mechanics don't take me seriously? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i'd like to see a demonstration of you sticking your tongue out and blowing...

for educational purpose to help you with your engine problem.

Karl is on this forum (MisterNuts) and he is Sonoma or somewhere near there.

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Thank you, guys! I totally appreciate your assistance.

Re: Boobs Sexy works to my advantage a lot of the time, but has never gotten me anywhere in an auto shop(cars).

I'll let you guys know how it goes with mechanic. And, since this has been an issue for a while now, keep your fingers crossed for me that there isn't any major damage cuz that may delay my road trip to Texas planned for next week.

BTW, Who is Karl and what is he close to?

I hope it all works out for you and that there isn't any major damage.

Sidenote: where are these boobies you speak of? LOL.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 64 Posts