A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I was out tonite just racing around in miami when i meet up with my friend and this guy is like "yo se-r, u wunna run it?" , then i look over and it looks like every other ricy civic in miami so I'm like w.e let's go. So we do a 20mph and I have an auto transmission btw, when like in third gear my gears lock up? like @ 5000 rpms it stays there like for like 5 seconds before ABRUPTLY jumping into fourth? I'm like WDF, so the civic flys by me I'm like r u serious? a 2.5L getting spanked by a STOCK 2000 civic SI? wow...Does anyone know why this happens or how to avoid this from happening? This has happened before when im not even racing...in 2nd n 3rd gear like the engine maxes oout @ 5000 rpms and just stays there like trying to forcefully shift gears like pulling foward but not shifting? until like 5 secs later is when it shifts? WTF?

·
39,080 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I think that that is what automatics do.

The ecu is probably trying not to red line or something.

You're hitting your rev limiter?

I don't know man. But someone will chime in soon.

·
39,080 Posts
Oh, and don't judge the civics by their cover.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
jdm spec b16 ?? or usdm b16 ?? also a good driver goes a long way.. your only limited to a shitty automatic

·
39,080 Posts
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a well built boosted automatic B15 that would give anything a good run for their money.

Other than that one, I haven't really seen an automatic really perform.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Oh, and don't judge the civics by their cover.
Seriously. But, to the OP, did you have the O/D off? The auto trans are pretty strong so it shouldnt be giving you problems, although they do make a lot less power than 5spds due to higher valvetrain loss.Have you checked your trans fluid level cause too little will cause eratic shifts.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
that makes me want to cry. My co worker has a b15 with everything under the sun bolted to it without a turbo. he calls it a frankenstien and i always make fun of him for spending so much money to make no torque. one of these days i am going to line up with him and show him that a cai and header is all it takes to beat his hatch. He always says i have jdm this and that and i tell him JDM= just don't matter the spec will spank you

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
lol, watch out for the civics, but i guess you got the auto working against you. so far i havent lost to one thats non turbo. but losses happen eventually.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
lol, watch out for the civics, but i guess you got the auto working against you. so far i havent lost to one thats non turbo. but losses happen eventually.
Am I the only one who actually read the post? His trans locked in 3rd and the civic went past him. Lets say you mis-shifted or it wouldnt go into gear for 5 seconds, I would be suprised if you werent passed by any car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, first off, most civics down here in miami are putting out less than 180-190 hp. All most of these civics have are an intake and maybe headers. Besides most of them are 1.6 and 1.8 So they would have to spend some good money on swaps and maybe boost to be able to be decent. Obviously like I said i have auto which gives me a disadvantage but wdf, i still should NOT have lost a dam civic which was STOCK. WTF? And im guessing only one person read...my gears locked in 3rd so i doubt its the driver I mean he couldve missed a gear but 5-6 secs go a long way. I mean i would get ahead of him for like 4 secs before he shift into third and flys by.smh. Imma check out the trans fluid and what not but I SWORE i was gonna obviously take him. I mean 1.6 vs 2.5? not that hard right? And i do judge most civics by cover cuz like i said most of these hatchys and civics down here all they got is intake headers and maybe exhaust, there are very few on boost. I think imma have to get a spec v...I wanted a manual tranny from the get go but I just needed a car fast and I wanted an se-r or spec v but I found the se-r first :/ Imma go out next wednesday down to okee see what happens, I'll let you guys know. Thanks for everyone who posted on here.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
u need a man pedal.

but on some real shit, ive seen those DOHC or VTEC's n/a smack around some fast shit...they can go like 12's n/a cuz they dont weigh shit. i watched a speed6 w. probably about 300whp (was modded) get spanked by a EK, all motor, honda prolly weighed half of what the mazda did

·
Registered
184 Posts
my buddy has a 92 or 93 hatch..i dont know what year it is. but it came with a 1.5 and he swapped in a b16with aem cai, dc 4-2-1 header and a new stockish exhaust, aem cam gear, and crower stage 1 cams....everytime we race he has me start at 2nd gear 2500 rpms to try to make it even. he will be in 1st gear at like 6000k. right when we go he will pull a car on me but when im about 5000 rpms im right back on him and by the top of third i have 4-5 cars on him, easy kill every time

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im 100% he was bone stock, my friend told me to take him cuz he knew we were both stock, and i doubt STOCK si's run low 7's they're 1.6L. If i had a manual tranny he wouldve had his ass handed to him, I've taken si's before in my old manual hyundai ffs. smh. Oh and as far as NOS he wasnt spraying although he had backfire which I thought was weird. I'm going to hold on to my auto se-r for a little while until I get some money from my job saved up and in about 3 months or less I'm getting a spec V. Having a powerful car with auto transmission is like putting restrictions on it, like the gears locking up -___-

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I think that that is what automatics do.

The ecu is probably trying not to red line or something.

You're hitting your rev limiter?

I don't know man. But someone will chime in soon.
Not in my case, my 1.8 auto jumps up to 6500 everytime, on every gear! :p

Do you have any other problems with your car apart from that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
im 100% he was bone stock, my friend told me to take him cuz he knew we were both stock, and i doubt STOCK si's run low 7's they're 1.6L. If i had a manual tranny he wouldve had his ass handed to him, I've taken si's before in my old manual hyundai ffs. smh. Oh and as far as NOS he wasnt spraying although he had backfire which I thought was weird. I'm going to hold on to my auto se-r for a little while until I get some money from my job saved up and in about 3 months or less I'm getting a spec V. Having a powerful car with auto transmission is like putting restrictions on it, like the gears locking up -___-

those year si's are no joke...when i had my boosted corolla i ran one that had internal motor work and everything done to it and he gave me a run everytime we ran. i would win by about a car and i was pushing over 250whp

·
39,080 Posts
I wouldn't judge a car by the litres it has anyway. That is like saying, 'I have a 2.5L QR25, I can woop this car that has a RB24, right.'

There is a reason civics are/were the most sort after cars. They don't need alot of power to run with most cars because they are light as hell.

Now if your trans stuck on third, then get that fixed. But going by a friends advice, 'he's stock', then getting your ass handed to you on a crystal platter, should simply be accepted.

Look at the areas you can improve on and then get them back. If we never lost a race, we would never upgrade our car or driving skills.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts