A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
For scooting around the streets our cars are angry. I pulled a srt4 through 1st and half of second from a little roll.

Although he was shredding his tires....he was surprised. Going into 3rd it began to get sad....

·
Premium Member
39,173 Posts
Atleast you know what gear your in when it starts to go down hill....lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
In a track setting, i would imagine you would want to always be in the top most part of your rpm range where your peak HP is. Slowly pulling out from the low end is no way to exit a turn lol I sadly dont have any real experience on a track, but i have done my fair share of spirited driving / fast cornering. (inb4 road racing is evil)
i have plenty of track exp.and have dove in on plenty of si's in a turn and passed with ease "while their car sounds like its about to blow up" in mid cornering and pull the rest of third and fourth "which is where the spec starts to lose its power ". but that dosent matter what matters is .is i can pass inthe the turn and most of the time after the turn is where the startt finish line is and by that time im in front of them soooo what im saying is low end tq is just as good a thing to have as high end hp/revving.not to bash on honda but ive drrove plenty and they just dont have that " HERE WE GO FEEL". that i like we can beat this topic to death and only "agree to disagree".

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
it should seem obvious that different motor sports require different engine characteristics

drag racing allows the car to launch at high rpm and pretty much stay there the entire run.
[i shift at 7700, the motor never sees below 6000 rpm for 1/4 mile]

auto-x does not allow a 7000 rpm launch [different tires with different characteristics]
many cars run the entire set of cones in 1 or two gears, this requires a much more flexible engine, with good midrange power.
on one set of cones, in a parking lot, i could run the entire course in 2nd gear
but it was a riot of smoke and bog lol
a little more torque down around 4000 rpm and a less severe jump in hp at 6000 would have made the car much easier to drive
[new engine solves this by adding cid, 4.1L]

i used to have different motors for different moto-x tracks back in the day
[high speed tracks vs tight, slow, muddy tracks]

161 - 166 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.