A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First, I would like to thank everyone that posts on this forum. I have learned to perform a lot of maintenance on my car, but without a nice garage I'm unable modify my car the way it deserves. This has been a great experience for me.

I currently own a 2004 silver spec v and I love this car. It has not given me any major problems in the past and I would really like to keep it. From reading the forum posts on previous threads I'm pretty sure that I have a problem with my timing chain tensioner or the chain itself. I've only had the problem for the past 500 miles and I'm upset that it might be the first problem that I had to take it to the dealership to fix. I'm really hoping that it's just the tensioner.

I would like to know if there is anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that wouldn't mind looking into this issue with me and to perform future mods to my car. I really want to keep the track record of maintaining my car without going to a dealership. Please let me know if you are willing to help.

Thanks,

Hsin

PS: I will pay for expertise on this issue! lol

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay,

Around 500 miles ago, my car started to make the marbles in a can noise and it only happens between 2000 and 2500 rpms. I've opened up the hood and pinpointed to the location of he sound and it's where the timing chain is located. I haven't taken apart anything yet and I've looked at the service manual.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to further diagnose my problem.

· Super Moderator
6,882 Posts
The QR is straightforward to replace, it's just cramped for space. I'm wondering how come it only happens between 2k and 2.5k rpms. You guys think it's due to oil pressure? At that rpm, it's too low to push the tensioner to put tension on the chain and when you go past that rpm it finally pushes it to put tension? Then again the oil pressure shouldn't be progressive unless the relief valve is screwed up.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
The QR is straightforward to replace, it's just cramped for space. I'm wondering how come it only happens between 2k and 2.5k rpms. You guys think it's due to oil pressure? At that rpm, it's too low to push the tensioner to put tension on the chain and when you go past that rpm it finally pushes it to put tension? Then again the oil pressure shouldn't be progressive unless the relief valve is screwed up.
with all the little flaws the qr has i wouldnt be surprised if this was just another one of them haha

· Premium Member
39,173 Posts
If you are going in to fix the tensioner, you might as well get the chain and everything else done.

That way you don't have to worry about anything in there again.

Infact, you might be able to rebuild your whole engine for around that price if someones helps you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.