A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking this to start a conversation so bare with me here!!!!!! If one was to fabricate an intake manifold for the B17, oe would have to incorporate an IAC in it as well? Couldnt imagine that you could delete it with an ETB. Please let me know what is thought and the benefits and drawback of having one in newer efi systems v/s carbuetated [email protected]!!!!!

· Registered
688 Posts
IAC's are an old school technology, idle is controlled by the throttle position and injector duty cycle.

On the NA MRA8DE engine (I'm assuming that's what you have), they intake runners are already extremely long to provide as much torque and power down low as possible. If you shorten the runners (really the only thing you can do) you are going to kill the low end and mid range power for hardly any gains up top. And since there's no way to tune the ECU, you won't be able to take advantage of any changes you make anyway. Its an extremely costly thing to do with little to no benefit. You would be better off getting a better intake, and spending money on suspension and brake mods. IF power is the goal, a good small wet shot of nitrous is really the only way to ACTUALLY add power to this engine. And that's risky since you can't lower the timing up top.

If you have a CVT model, DO NOT add any extra power to it. You will drastically reduce the CVT's life. I tuned a CVT Juke two days ago, and warned the guy that its a bad idea. He persisted. And with only 20-30 extra ft lbs of torque, the CVT started slipping like you wouldn't believe. He is now getting the funds together for a $5000 replacement (installed and all the fixings).

If you want to make an intake for shits and giggles, go for it! All the power to you. As someone who has been making custom intake manifolds for MR series engines for years, I can tell you it is an extremely intense project that requires some serious math to do right and some very expensive custom CNC'ed parts (both laser cut and milled). Not to mention the CAD time you need to spend on reproducing the flange that bolts to the head. That sucker needs to fit PERFECT.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always love your input Fre. I am installing a
fuel tech system for injection, ignition, cam sensors, crank sensor, and couple other things. I am removing the oem ecu and running g strictly fuel tech. I do have a cvt and couldn't agree more with its miserable demise. Will be installing 6 speed mt soon 2015 Sr to keep up with power gains. Yes internals will be done in couple weeks I. Case your going to ask. Lol. It's something for me to do to keep me busy. Don't hurt that it will be a one of a kind when finished. I'll keep yall updated on Progress. Again, thank you for your input, it is appreciated

· Registered
688 Posts
You are aware that the Power steering, HVAC, airbag, TCS, ABS,BCM, IPDM, and several other systems in the car operate off of can-bus that REQUIRES input from the OEM ECU to operate correct? You quite literally wont have 90% of the vehicles functions without the stock computer running the show. Even the alternator is Can-Bus driven in b17's so you will have to adapt on a different cars alternator to even have charging.

Even if you six speed swap the car you wont have anything other than a running engine and a heavy shell to work with.

Also; swapping to a six speed requires custom pieces to be made to mount the clutch slave cylinder into the firewall, and the full pedal assembly from a six speed car to mount, On top of different axles, trans mount, shift linkages, shifter assembly. That's without making the oem electronics work.

I can appreciate the go for it attitude, I really can. But your going to do all of this work and end up with the same ~120 whp car, with no accessories, no safety features, no power steering, and no information displays.

I have done OBD legal six speed swaps on Jukes, which is the same platform. It took MONTHS of labor and a full donor car to do just the six speed swap.

If you want a six speed, and sentra, and more pep in your step, save the $5000 MINIMUM in parts your going to need, and trade the NA car in for a SR Turbo or Nismo and have at it. 200 whp stock, reliable (mostly), and fully functional. Even if your going for a full race car, this is still the better way to do it. You WANT TCS, ABS and Power Steering in a race car. Its an undriveable 3200 lb mess without those systems working

I am finishing up a 600+ horsepower Juke right now. And we kept it as stock electronically as possible to retain things like TCS, ABS, and Power Steering to make the car easier to race. Even the Spec b17 races they do in Canada (yes thats a thing lol) use completely OEM ECU's and electronics (video of a spec car below)

Again, its your car, do what your going to do, and I hope it ends up how you want. But take it from someone who works on A LOT of b17's. It's not going to be a usable car in any fashion if you do what your trying to do, and its going to cost you a fortune to do it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well pretty much all ready there. As always your input and advice I take to heart man!!!!! Cant learn and be closed off to constructive criticism!!! I have put alot of thought into that statement you made about a 3200 lb of mess. lol as well as the creature comforts i will be loosing!!!!! However my friend I am to far into this at this point to turn back. Let me clarify my statement from before about the full race. I plan on leaving the canbus intact as well as electronics in the cabin, headlights turn signals all I am going to run on FT is ignition, crank, cam sensors etc..... just what is necessary to run the car everything else will hopefully stay intact. We shall see at this point. All and all it is an amazing learning experiance doing this. Who knows, may just end up with some once in a life time hack or performance part from the trial and error that turns this platform to top of ladder!!!! Worth a shot and the time with my kids!!!! Appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts