A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key will not turn into any position (Rotates 1/2” then stops dead), the steering wheel is locked, the key fob isn’t working.

Im getting pretty desperate here any help is appreciated.

I have an 07 sentra ser with a cvt and equipped with an intelligent keyless system.

The battery died from a radar detector in the 12v outlet being left for two weeks. Once I charged the battery I noticed my key fob has stopped responding and I have a flashing red car/key symbol (security Immobilizer?). The key will not turn in the ignition, I cannot get to ACC or On. When I put the key in the ignition the red security Immobilizer icon turns off for a bit (30s?) but then starts back up.

I have 3 keys and 1 fob, none of the keys work in the ignition, all work in the drivers side door. The battery in the fob is 4 weeks old. The keys can set the alarm by locking the drivers side door 1 turn and unarm the alarm by unlock with 2 turns.

Ive tried pulling the battery for and hour to reset but no change. Ive WD-40d the ignition lock. Ive wiggled the steering wheel, jacked up the car and put it in neutral and pushed it around.

There is a security bypass box with a key under my dash from an old unused remote starter, it was there when I bought it, never used, not sure if it could be suddenly causing a problem.

The manuals Immobilizer rest procedures starts with putting the car in ACC which I cannot do and leads me to think the ignition switch is bad, and ways to confirm this? Seems like and expensive part to throw at it.

any other ideas? Thoughts? Anything would be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I was able to bypass the issue. This solenoid is part of the i-key package in years 07-09. I had to pop off the column trim and tap out the security breakaway bolts on the ignition lock assembly. Once I had the assembly in hand I backed out another 2 breakaway bolts, removed the white ignition switch (PhilipsX2) and this ignition lock solenoid assembly just falls off the ignition cylinder/switch assembly.
For some reason it never picked up in order to unlock the ignition cylinder. Once I pulled it off the key turned freely. I put it all together leaving out the troubled assembly and the key turns, the car starts.

Of course a big caveat, there is no ignition lock now, the car will not start without the keys chip being read but anyone can turn the ignition to ON and even endlessly crank the engine. The car also still doesn’t recognize the key fob, neither for locks or keyless entry/start. The drivers side door lock can still arm/disarm the alarm.

Im still not 100% sure if the solenoid was defective or the signal was bad, I checked a lot of fuses but not all, this part seems unique to i-keys of these narrow production years so I couldn't any information on it.
9E829D81-E68B-477B-958E-8D5844EC3FC6.jpeg
1FB9875E-F8C8-4752-97A5-4F84AFD20046.jpeg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts