A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Baby Kicker
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have 215/45/17 falken ziex 512's(all season). What can i do to increase traction on snow besides lowering the psi? Im going upstate and im afraid of sliding down the mountain when i brake, mainly because my abs went out.

If nothing else can be done besides driving real slow(trying to get there as quick as possible) i have to beg my brother to give me the 94 Passat with no heating but it has blizzaks. And ill be driving 2 people so the passat is kind of a no no. lol

Please help,
Matt

·
The Wheel Ninja
2,113 Posts
actually raising the tire pressure would work better.. the thinner the tire the better it works in the snow... cuts through the snow better... thats why in the winter i go down to 15's or 16's for a 195 or 205 tire...

·
Registered
21,701 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Unless you can find someone who will lend you REAL snow tires, I think the blizzaks are your best best but if you're driving 2 other people why is it a no no?
Lowering your psi is something you can do to get better traction but if you raise your
psi like Bacon said, you'd have horrible traction. Having normal/high psi on 215/17's is not the same as having 195/15/16's so that method can't be applied.

How much snow is there anyway? Unless it's bad, you shouldn't have a problem, just drive safe.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
just engine brake, and downshift... stay in a low gear so u dont have to brake as much... and drive slow... and actually i would lower the tire pressure, so u have more rubber on the road then filling it up higher...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Ohhh shit, Matt with two girls in one car! Don't tell me it's just you and those 2 chicks.....

I'd recommend the sentra then :up:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been trying to get rid of my snow tires for a while. $250 - Michelen Arctic Apline Sports on 15" Steelies. They've got a decent amount of miles on them, but still have at least 1 or 2 seasons left. They're a lifesaver in the snow, and $250 is less than the deductable you'll have to pay after sliding off any icy road. :wink:

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
21,701 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That's one thing I miss the most about my car - the suspension parts. Koni yellows with LTB, FSTB and RSB :banghead:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
There's not much difference over the stock FSTB and like the cheap Meagan ones. If anything, they're like a few mm's bigger which isn't worth it. LTB is where you feel it the most

1 - 17 of 17 Posts