A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Alot of new ppl always ask the same kind of question. How do i fix the engine light after installing a header? When this light comes on from the installation of a new header/midpipe, be aware that this has no effect on the performance of your car. its just a stupid reminder that the o2 (oxygen) sensor is finding a problem caused by when you removed or did something to the stock catalytic converter.

STEP 1
-purchase 2 spark plug anti foulers at your local auto parts store
-18 mm size
-made by HELP brand / part number 42002

STEP 2
-disconnect the negative terminal on your battery. this will reset your ecu
-take one of the anti foulers and drill out its center using a 1/2 bit ,
-this will increase its hole size and allow your stock o2 sensor to fit

STEP 3
-screw the drilled spark plug anti-fouler on top of the original
-in case you need to remove the foulers, use some kind of anti-seize on the threads

STEP 4
-unscrew your stock o2 sensor and place your anti-fouler fix in
-use anti seize on the threads -clean your cell (by wiping it off with a paper towel)

STEP 5

-reinstall your o2 sensor
-reconnect your battery (your ecu is reset)
-you have just solved the problem of the annoying light

At the end of everything, it should look like this in the same order ( o2 sensor-->1/2 drilled fouler--> undrilled fouler-->header or exhaust.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
good write up J.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yo J,

When i installed my header, i put one anti fouler.. the 02 sensor at the top. I have 2 sensors, one in the middle of the pipe and one right at the bottom at the second cat convertor. Did i put the anti fouler in the wrong spot? was it supposed to be at the bottom one? Also, did i need 2 foulers, one on top of the other? I used only 1.

Never had a check engine light till now though, its been about a year and half since i had it on.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if u dont have a engine light on, then your good. sometimes it will work with 1 anti fouler.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check what the code is and see wut it is. the antifouler for the 02-03 is supposed to be on the exhaust manifold/ header. the bottom bung.

·
Registered
47 Posts
would you happen to kno if 1/2 fits for the 06 sensors, according to advance autos they are different sensors but didnt say if they changed sizes

·
Registered
372 Posts
so how did you manage to put the bung on the midpipe? does my 02 spec v have a sensor by the mid pipe? i still dnt have idea where to put the anti fouler,i put mine by the headers in bottom.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so how did you manage to put the bung on the midpipe? does my 02 spec v have a sensor by the mid pipe? i still dnt have idea where to put the anti fouler,i put mine by the headers in bottom.
04-06 has it on the midpipe, 02-03 has it on the header

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only needed to do a wire extension and place my 2nd O2 after the second cat, i have a 04 specv, but if you remove the 2nd cat you need the anti-fouler.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have had the check engine light on for awhile now so today i went and bought the antifoulers, drilled the hole, but my damn o2 sensor wont unscrew from the midpipe ! i was trying with a vicegrip, maybe an o2 sensor socket will do the trick? lol

·
BDSF
11,452 Posts
i have had the check engine light on for awhile now so today i went and bought the antifoulers, drilled the hole, but my damn o2 sensor wont unscrew from the midpipe ! i was trying with a vicegrip, maybe an o2 sensor socket will do the trick? lol
PB blaster. Also might help to warm the engine/exhaust up before trying to take it off (don't burn yourself though, lol).

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok my question is i have a 2002 ser spec v and obvious my headers have two bungs to put the 02 sensors.. when i got my car the 2nd 02 sensor was by the midpipe im guessing previous owner did that.. should i close that bung up and put my 02 sensor on my header with the spacer or should i leave it by the mid pipeplease help someon... oh and my checkengine light has always been on due to that help asap please........

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok my question is i have a 2002 ser spec v and obvious my headers have two bungs to put the 02 sensors.. when i got my car the 2nd 02 sensor was by the midpipe im guessing previous owner did that.. should i close that bung up and put my 02 sensor on my header with the spacer or should i leave it by the mid pipeplease help someon... oh and my checkengine light has always been on due to that help asap please........
Similar question. I have an 02 Spec V with a 4-1 header, 1 upper and 1 lower bung. The shop that put the header on, reversed the sensors, putting the secondary up top and primary on the lower bung. So far no SES light but I am skeptical. If it turns out to be a problem, will it work if put the primary up top and install the anti-fouler on the lower bung?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Similar question. I have an 02 Spec V with a 4-1 header, 1 upper and 1 lower bung. The shop that put the header on, reversed the sensors, putting the secondary up top and primary on the lower bung. So far no SES light but I am skeptical. If it turns out to be a problem, will it work if put the primary up top and install the anti-fouler on the lower bung?
^^ yes because thats how the sensors are suppose to be.... save your self the troublke and switch it now...why wait? ... put the primary first and the secondary second with the spacers and have a good runnin spec

·
Registered
15 Posts
^^ yes because thats how the sensors are suppose to be.... save your self the troublke and switch it now...why wait? ... put the primary first and the secondary second with the spacers and have a good runnin spec
Yeah, light went on tonight. I am going to do the job right in the morning. Anybody near Marietta. Ga got a vice I can borrow for a few minutes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
ok is this only for the second o2 sensor or the botht the first and second , cuz i noticed in the pics i only see the second one pictured ...

and yea very nicely detailed and explained right up ... good job :)

1 - 20 of 137 Posts