A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra SER-Spec V
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the time has come my SER has about 75 psi in each cylinder and won’t start so I’m going to just buy a jdm motor and swap it out my question is I have my plenum which is metal and the one on the replacement motor is plastic is it even worth it to swap them out? Also if there’s anywhere on the forum that points out how to pull the motor the quickest and easiest way. If anyone could help thanks.

· Registered
130 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the replacement motor? QR25’s with plastic manifold’s like the ones found in B16 Sentra’s, Altima’s, and Rogue’s don’t have the same mounting points as QR25’s with the aluminum manifold’s like the ones from B15 Sentra’s or Altima’s. There’s also JDM QR25’s with direct fuel injection that have a plastic manifold and those aren’t a direct swap into a B15 Sentra either. This is what it looks like so don’t buy it if it looks like this:

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine Automotive wheel system Automotive design

Best bet is to get a motor with another aluminum manifold just to make sure it’ll be an easy direct swap.

I have a Spec V and I did a JDM motor swap this past summer, so I can help you out if you need anything. When I pulled the motor, I had to pull my transmission with it because there wasn’t enough clearance to get the motor by itself. I basically had to bring the both of them to a vertical tilt to get them out of the engine bay, and then move the transmission to the new motor. I removed as many parts inside the engine bay as I could before pulling the motor itself. I took lots of pictures before and as I removed parts so I could remember where they were. I also put hardware into ziplock bags and labeled where they came from.
Before my engine swap:
Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold

This is my JDM motor below. I removed my aluminum intake manifold and installed an Altima plastic plenum with 2J-Racing’s adapter kit.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

Some pics from the tear down:

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Automotive tire

· The Watcher
7,441 Posts
That is a DD motor, not a DE, though that DD motor will fit buy just replacing the timing cover but the ecu can't run it.

Another issue is that most DE motors that come from japan are 2 liters and you would need to verify the stroke. If you have a QR20 the only issue is the rotating assembly....and maybe the cams...

· The Watcher
7,441 Posts
Actually, now that I think about itand not confusing 1st and 2nd gen QRs, you just need the the bracket that bolts over the timing cover from the US B15 QR to the DD motor.

Reactions: Tritton

· Registered
130 Posts
Actually, now that I think about itand not confusing 1st and 2nd gen QRs, you just need the the bracket that bolts over the timing cover from the US B15 QR to the DD motor.
Yea, the QR25DD is close to a 1st gen so that mount should work, but you still need the ECU and harness. Reason for the harness being there’s a sensor at the mechanical fuel pump that’s on the back of the head on the exhaust cam. As far as I’ve seen no JDM dealer is selling whole harness and ECU’s with those motors, and since they were never sold on the US domestic market you’ll never find them in a junkyard. Those QR25DD motors were only in production for a few years, I want to say it was like 2002-2006. There’s probably some engineering or financial reason that Nissan decided to stick with port injection with the 2nd gen QR25. It’s possible to assemble everything if you can source the parts somehow, but it’s just so much easier and cheaper to go with a regular QR25DE or upgrade to a VQ if you have the means.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any pictures of the replacement motor? QR25’s with plastic manifold’s like the ones found in B16 Sentra’s, Altima’s, and Rogue’s don’t have the same mounting points as QR25’s with the aluminum manifold’s like the ones from B15 Sentra’s or Altima’s. There’s also JDM QR25’s with direct fuel injection that have a plastic manifold and those aren’t a direct swap into a B15 Sentra either. This is what it looks like so don’t buy it if it looks like this:

View attachment 175700
View attachment 175701
Best bet is to get a motor with another aluminum manifold just to make sure it’ll be an easy direct swap.

I have a Spec V and I did a JDM motor swap this past summer, so I can help you out if you need anything. When I pulled the motor, I had to pull my transmission with it because there wasn’t enough clearance to get the motor by itself. I basically had to bring the both of them to a vertical tilt to get them out of the engine bay, and then move the transmission to the new motor. I removed as many parts inside the engine bay as I could before pulling the motor itself. I took lots of pictures before and as I removed parts so I could remember where they were. I also put hardware into ziplock bags and labeled where they came from.
Before my engine swap: View attachment 175702

This is my JDM motor below. I removed my aluminum intake manifold and installed an Altima plastic plenum with 2J-Racing’s adapter kit.

View attachment 175704
View attachment 175703

View attachment 175706

View attachment 175708
View attachment 175705

View attachment 175707
View attachment 175709

View attachment 175700
View attachment 175701

Before my engine swap: View attachment 175702

View attachment 175704
View attachment 175703

View attachment 175706

View attachment 175708
View attachment 175705

View attachment 175707
View attachment 175709

So this is the link to the place I’m getting it from it says de so I think I’ll be fine right?

· The Watcher
7,441 Posts
I excluded the ecu due to the thread just being about mounting...and its a given.....

DD wasn't produced for the entire 1 gen of the motor IIRC, would have to verify production but I want to say the last two years (or I might be thinking or another QR variant but you very well could be right) but what ever the reason they didn't see a point in it marketing here just like the QR20 and the SR20VE or any other motor or car/version that everyone else got (long list of reasons and a lot is BS) . Issues with the DD is what everyone else figured out while continuing to run with direct injection and that is the carbon build up on the valves though I think want to say there is a newer version of the DD on a QR platform in the .... I want to say Altima??? but never looked into. But remember that we have slightly more lacks emissions than other places and not a "need" for such fuel efficiency as other as well. With all the issues we have here with QRs I wouldn't want to loose money on a more complicated systems.

I also feel as the DD was Nissan's experimenter for the DIG motor but that is speculation on my end as I don't really care about it.

I would love to run a DD head and I believe the other sensor is strictly for monitoring fuel pessure on the mechanical pump, saying that as my RS4 has a sensor on the mech pump.

Reactions: konkey00

· The Watcher
7,441 Posts
Reactions: Tritton

· One of One
2,020 Posts
I've seen 25s being more common as of late. As someone who runs a 20, it doesn't matter from a daily standpoint. Gets you from a to b. Still uses a shit ton more gas. It's down on power, but starts, still has tq steer and does the job.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will be safe with that one but the verifying of the stroke is going to be the issue.

I want to say it looks like a 25 as there is no hole in on the intake side on the block portion that mates to the trans for a starter.
What do you mean verifying the stroke sorry I’m not super inclined on stuff like that. I just wanted to get a motor I could drop in and plug and play.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's all a Spec-V engine is lol its an Altima engine. There's to magic fairy dust or magic parts in the sentra qr25de.
That's all a Spec-V engine is lol its an Altima engine. There's to magic fairy dust or magic parts in the sentra qr25de.
I guess I’ll look into that also. Just look for 2006 and down cars cause I know they made small changes to the motor in 2007.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I’ll look into that also. Just look for 2006 and down cars cause I know they made small changes to the motor in 2007.

· Registered
130 Posts
You will be safe with that one but the verifying of the stroke is going to be the issue.

I want to say it looks like a 25 as there is no hole in on the intake side on the block portion that mates to the trans for a starter.
The engine doesn’t have the hole there, just the transmission..

Here’s my JDM motor w/ 2JR clutch and LW clutch

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

6-Speed Spec-V transmission:

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Train Automotive design

View of hole with starter removed from the engine bay:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Rim

So this is the link to the place I’m getting it from it says de so I think I’ll be fine right?
I can’t tell if what intake manifold that is. Not sure why the intake manifold is black. Most of the intake manifolds are unpainted aluminum, but it doesn’t look like any of the plastic manifolds to me so I tend to believe someone painted that manifold. It also has the bracket spacer between the throttle body and manifold that bolts to the engine head, and I don’t think those were used with the aluminum manifolds. The engine cover makes it harder to see the front of the intake manifold. Maybe someone who knows better can chime in.

· The Watcher
7,441 Posts
IIRC, most of the motors that come from Japan usually have a black manifold, due to emissions and motor size for the country is going to the manifold has a different design.

The hole I'm referring to has been seen on qr20s on the flange on the block that is on the fire wall side as that is the starter hole for what ever model vehicle it was for. I have not seen it as of late but that was one of the indicators it was a qr20.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts