A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra 4.0 L Engine. When the Intake solenoid is plugged in the engine chatters and idles rough. When I disconnect the plug the engine runs smooth. I had a code of P0081. I checked the wiring and the tests the FSM told me to do. I cut the white wire from the harness and ran an independent wire(Jumper) to the solenoid but when I touch the white wire on the solenoid it makes the engine run rough. Any ideas please?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
The solenoid is bad ??? Have you changed it? Sounds like the solenoid is activating when its not supposed to. Either a mechanical failure in the solenoid (99% likely) or power is staying on from the ecu.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. Yes I bought a new one a then shipped it back for a replacement thinking the same thing you just mentioned. The replacement is on it's way. You mentioned the power can be staying on or activating when its not supposed to. What can cause that?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Anybody please??
A failed ECU can cause power staying on from the ECU.

Wait for the replacement solenoid and try that before going further.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. The electrical portion of the solenoid is likely to have failed. Whatever connection inside it failed. Just wear and tear. Replace it and recheck. 0.02% chance its the ecu.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It seems as though the VVT system in the vehicle is commanding one of the cams either advanced or retarded while the solenoid is plugged in. Its also possible that you may have a damaged VCT sprocket. The solenoid regulates the amount of oil pressure delivered to the sprocket in order to change your cam timing based on PCM inputs. unplugging the sensor will close the solenoid reverting the VCT sprocket to a base value of what I imagine is 0 degrees TDC. I'm not too familiar with the geography of this engine but most solenoids are interchangeable meaning you could swap the solenoid from the opposite bank to see if the issue follows the solenoid or stays with the same VCT sprocket.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Without the solenoid plugged in the sprocket stays at a neutral position. When driving your sure to notice either a loss in power during high load or possible popping in the exhaust on deceleration. The PCM is unable to control camshaft timing without that solenoids operation so your timing remains at whatever set value the sprocket is locked into at a neutral value.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
Signal or grounding issue, solenoid is going to respond to what the ecm sees in crank/cam sensor(s) and more so the cam sensor(s). You may have to trace a schematic to see what other wires ground/connect to it.

It's only one wire to the solenoid, that doesn't sound right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Signal or grounding issue, solenoid is going to respond to what the ecm sees in crank/cam sensor(s) and more so the cam sensor(s). You may have to trace a schematic to see what other wires ground/connect to it.

It's only one wire to the solenoid, that doesn't sound right?
There's a white and a red. The red has power.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
If both are showing the correct voltage and continuity as it should you then have a harness issue and you will have to track it down through the generic trouble shooting steps that should be in the engine control section of the FSM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If both are showing the correct voltage and continuity as it should you then have a harness issue and you will have to track it down through the generic trouble shooting steps that should be in the engine control section of the FSM
Could it be arcing with the other wire in the ECU harness

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
If there is evidence of it then sure but there is enough protection and spacing between them in the harness, you would also see evidence on the pins to the ecu.

I had a code once and I trouble shoot it according to the FSM, was never the problem, the harness in a completely different location had shorted/broken, think it was a power wire.

If the ecu is getting proper signal from the cam(s) and crank sensors which cause the solenoid to adjust accordingly from speed and rpm and the solenoid is good I would shoot the harness and I doubt any relays or fuses would fix it...I could see a relay being faulty but don't know if any would affect the system like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there is evidence of it then sure but there is enough protection and spacing between them in the harness, you would also see evidence on the pins to the ecu.

I had a code once and I trouble shoot it according to the FSM, was never the problem, the harness in a completely different location had shorted/broken, think it was a power wire.

If the ecu is getting proper signal from the cam(s) and crank sensors which cause the solenoid to adjust accordingly from speed and rpm and the solenoid is good I would shoot the harness and I doubt any relays or fuses would fix it...I could see a relay being faulty but don't know if any would affect the system like that.
So frustrating!! I just rebuilt the engine and I'm only getting code P0081. Car can't get smogged until this issue is fixed. I don't want to do any damage to the engine either after all the hard work.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Have you changed the solenoid!?

It appears that the white wire is the ground wire. I dont know why FSM's ask you to cut the wire and run a new wire. It can easily be supplied power or ground with other electrical tools. And it makes sense that when you re-ran the ground wire, the sol grounded and completed the circuit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you changed the solenoid!?

It appears that the white wire is the ground wire. I dont know why FSM's ask you to cut the wire and run a new wire. It can easily be supplied power or ground with other electrical tools. And it makes sense that when you re-ran the ground wire, the sol grounded and completed the circuit.
Yes I changed it

The white wire goes to the ECM.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I was looking at wiring diagrams and trying to find info on how the solenoid is controlled. Couldnt find a whole lot. Dont know if power is always supplied and the ground is controlled thru the ecu, or if just power is supplied with a constant ground to activate. Both wires go straight to the eco on both sol.

If its easily accessible, try comparing both solenoid power and grounds to each other. If there is a difference, its likely that the ecu has failed in either supplying power or ground when its not supposed to. If both harnesses act the same, you may have further mechanical issues. Clogged oil gally is possible. Dont think the sprocket is bad because I would figure it would run rough at all times. I think it would also through timing codes.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
I wonder if you can run some jumper wires where bank 1 wires are connected to bank 2 solenoid and bank 2 wires are connected to bank 1 solenoid.

Have you checked the cam sensor and signal plate?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts