A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, I need a little help.

I am thinking about using evapo-rust to get rid of the rust that I believe is in the coolant passages in the engine.

Has anyone use this or any other rust removing chemical to remove rust in the engine while in the car?

·
Super Moderator
5,341 Posts
I've heard of guys on my gsxr site using a cap full of clr to clean the cooling system of their bike.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
question: why do you think there is rust in your cooling system? deposits maybe, but rust? not much to rust other than a couple coolant tubes, and water pump impeller, IIRC. does the coolant look muddy?
Probably not a QR. Something with an iron block I assume

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
question: why do you think there is rust in your cooling system? deposits maybe, but rust? not much to rust other than a couple coolant tubes, and water pump impeller, IIRC. does the coolant look muddy?
Look at the pics on the first page.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've heard of guys on my gsxr site using a cap full of clr to clean the cooling system of their bike.
Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Look at the pics on the first page.
Oh that's just chocolate milk. Helps the heat mooooooooooooooooooooooove :troll: out of the engine.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Probably not a QR. Something with an iron block I assume
It's for this car.

The car leaks coolant ONLY when it's parked for a while and has cooled down. Weird, I know.
I was told that it does this because the coolant in the engine block can't go any where and pressure builds up and eventually bursts out from the weakest point.
This point being either the water pump or thermostat area.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
cant remember the brand, but when I worked at dealerships, we got it in by the case, its a caustic, and you cant leave it in your engine, but like I said, we would add it to the car, let it get hot and coolant circulate for about an hour or so, drain, hook up a coolant flush fitting in a heater hose, just a connection for a garden hose to attach there, and flush the system for fifteen or so minutes, open the drain valve while doing this!!!! OR, you can remove thermostats, and make a setup for you to hook to the lower radiator hose, and let it flush thru the engine, into the radiator, and out the bottom of the radiator, you might leave the stuff in there longer, drive it for a day? maybe? I wouldnt leave it in longer tho, you will flush a bunch of crap out when you are done

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
cant remember the brand, but when I worked at dealerships, we got it in by the case, its a caustic, and you cant leave it in your engine, but like I said, we would add it to the car, let it get hot and coolant circulate for about an hour or so, drain, hook up a coolant flush fitting in a heater hose, just a connection for a garden hose to attach there, and flush the system for fifteen or so minutes, open the drain valve while doing this!!!! OR, you can remove thermostats, and make a setup for you to hook to the lower radiator hose, and let it flush thru the engine, into the radiator, and out the bottom of the radiator, you might leave the stuff in there longer, drive it for a day? maybe? I wouldnt leave it in longer tho, you will flush a bunch of crap out when you are done
This is what I'm thinking with the evapo-rust thing.
They say don't dilute it, put it in the car and drive it around for a while because it works better at higher temps.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Ok, did some work today and I must say, Nissan engineers need to be sent to Dave for some disciplining.
Those fuccers made the simple task of removing the radiator a fuccin' task.

I HATE those fuccers.

Anyway, I'm trying to clean the system out and decided to remove the radiator to thoroughly clean it.
Can't judge the book by it's cover because the outside of it looks damn good.

End result for today:

Now onto the fucced up shyt that I had to deal with.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is everything that was taken out for cleaning:

This is some of the rust that is actually built up to look like lumps, but they disintegrate into fine particles when crushed, so this gives me hope that with a good rust removal flush, I can save this engine.

·
39,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
These are all the parts that I have to replace:

This fan has more cracks in it than a crack-house:

Probably the original thermostat:

Yes, you're seeing that right. A bolt was broken off:

A tease of the rust IN the engine:

21 - 40 of 74 Posts