·
Registered
4,935 Posts
This is a 17x9.75 with a +25. Gives u an idea just how far offsets will put u

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Sorry. I meant a 20 offset on that set up. 20 will still seem a little out there. And I'm talking 8" width. 9.75 is a little to much for me

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Sorry. I meant a 20 offset on that set up. 20 will still seem a little out there.
yes it will lol, my fenders in that picture are pulled to clear 245/40/17 on a 17x8 +35

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thank you. I see now what they meant by good luck finding wheels. I'm not trying to switch to 5 lug. Looking to keep my stock wheels on in the mean time. I've seen a few 16s out there with a higher offset. Including rpf1s. At 32. Might grab a pair of those n paint them black. 32 sound more manageable?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
32 is probably in the right ballpark.
@yogi b can probably give you a good idea how they'll fit. He at least has some experience with 16" tires. He can give you a picture of something and tell you the offset, so you can gauge the difference in fitment with a different offset.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Thank you. I see now what they meant by good luck finding wheels. I'm not trying to switch to 5 lug. Looking to keep my stock wheels on in the mean time. I've seen a few 16s out there with a higher offset. Including rpf1s. At 32. Might grab a pair of those n paint them black. 32 sound more manageable?
those are my fav wheels
beautifully made and super light
[looks are meh ,but i don't care]

32mm et is a good place to start

i started with 38mm et, and 225/50/16s

this was inadequate for the vq
so i added 10mm spacers as clearance on the inside was close

and 245/45/16 way oversize toyo r888s
this worked but the vq was soon gone

and the poor NA under powered thing , ended up with very oversize tires
i took a lot of ribbing at the drag strip

kinna all warpaint but no war

so final et was 28mm

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I'm looking at wheels. They are 16x8. 0 offset. Looking to run the 245/45. Would that be a problem?
undoubtedly
wheel will resemble this
[yes i seem to learn one mistake at a time, lol]

had to pull this fender into a curve
to cover the tire

please learn from all our lessons
an 8" wheel needs aprox a 35mm et, spoke curvature will affect clearances too
35mm et is not a guarantee

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Are 16x7 still gonna have trouble gripping?? I was thinking 225/50/16? R888s. Has this worked for anyone with a vq spec?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
You for sure no doubt can fit an 8". Just be careful what you order. Educate yourself as much as possible on wheel fitment. Do the math and order right the first time.

I would consider 225 minimum. And for drag racing from a dig I'm not sure how well that's gonna work. Even from a roll you can still have issues unless the roll starts at high speeds. Even if you run a ridiculously awesome tire. By all means run exceptional tires though of course.

If you're choosing between a little more width or a little more height. I am no expert, but I'd go with the height. @yogi b will have a much more valid and educated from experience opinion on that. So listen to what he says.

Yogi has tried damn near every combination possible. I'd listen to his advice about a street drag combination with no hesitation.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Also I'll add....

It's equally, if not more, hard to fit taller tires. I guess my point is only this. If you're not worried about raising the car some, by all means don't hesitate to do it if it helps fit a more optimal tire. Racing is about winning, not looks. So raise if you need to and find some way to manage air under the car if you need to. 2j makes an awesome front splitter/air damn.

BUT....As you'll see if you go measure. Even at stock height.....going taller tire is pretty hard. So figure out your width situation first. If you still have a enough room to go a little taller after that, do it.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Are 16x7 still gonna have trouble gripping?? I was thinking 225/50/16? R888s. Has this worked for anyone with a vq spec?
i tried this combo but with bfg, kdw's
its minimum but r888s are way better

a 225/50/16 r888 has a tread width of 8.7 and a section of 9.3
the 245s, 9.4 tread and 9,8 section width

price and weight are close
with the 245s being lighter

enough for the built vq?
i felt i had to go to 16x8s and 245/45/16s

the 245s will fit on a 7" rim but at least 7.5" would be better

if sticking with the 7" rpf1's
it might work as the 225/50 is a little taller [more sidewall]

and i did see joe tear up a track on tiny 215s [215/45/17]

so may be possible but they would be smallest r888s i would use

a 235/50/15 might work better
imo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yogi,
I see you've used the weld wheels 15x8. How is the fitment on those. As far as pulling/rolling, backspace. I'm on bc coils I've been searching forever for some wheels. I'd like to grab a set for front and 235/50..

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Yogi,
I see you've used the weld wheels 15x8. How is the fitment on those. As far as pulling/rolling, backspace. I'm on bc coils I've been searching forever for some wheels. I'd like to grab a set for front and 235/50..
i had to add 10mm spacers to clear the wilwoods
so ended up way out there

they had 5" back spacing to begin with
pulled the fenders almost 2"

but they worked

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
K. I see. Thanks I'm still just undecided. Im running stock brakes. Loving the Welds but I feel imma be pulling to much. And I'd like to fit 235/50 in there. Otherwise my only option is 15x7 n 225/50. :ugh:

81 - 100 of 116 Posts