A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So with my USDM QR25 dropping below minimum compression on 3 of 4 cylinders and 2 butterfly valves missing on my specV I bought a JDM '02 Altima/Sentra QR25DE. It's the same engine code so I thought it would be the exact same engine. Apparently not at the look at some accessories and the intake manifold. I decided to port and polish the old intake manifold and use that since theres a vacuum line coming off of it into a canister on the firewall then back into the swirl chamber. There are a few other items at first glance on the JDM with minor differences (power steering pump, A/C Condenser, and a piece that comes off of the valve cover, not sure what its called so I posted pictures of all.) When first taking the job on I tried to find the FSM for my '02 and no luck absolutely anywhere. I checked the sticky thread on here but the FSM that is posted for the '02 is the 1.8 and the diagrams don't match up. So if someone could help with that I'd greatly appreciate it. Trying to post pictures B15u says all of my attachments are too large. I'm gonna give it another shot later but for now if anyone can help with the FSM or any knowledge on the JDM swap i'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
As far as I know there wasn't a JDM version of this engine. I'm wondering if you have an engine from a truck (x trail, frontier).

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Yeah its more likely from a Frontier or something. Have to swap valve covers and any accessories that are different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's not the engine you have Drome993
is it?

thanks for the demo photo CrickiKaze

Nope I bought the 2.5 as stated. From the reading that i have done no one knows about a JDM sentra engine but I asked for one, and got one lol.

Not too sure on conformity but the valve covers look exactly the same. and as for accessories just the power steering pump and condenser along with a piece that comes off of the driver side of the valve cover.

·
Administrator
7,198 Posts
It is in the same FSM.... my FSM has all the motors that came in that year as all FSMs for each year and it is broken down in 2 or 3 sections, one for the sr(if applicable), one for the qg and the last for the qr. Look through the whole table of contents.

There are a total of 4 QR motors IIRC(QR20/25DE and QR20/25DD) that Nissan produced and only one came to the states, if you have a "JDM" QR then good for you but the specs are the same so there is no point in buying a JDM QR. Externally, to my knowledge, DEs look the same with out accessories but the DD look differently due to the head/manifold configuration.

Look at your thermostat housing and tell us what the stamp says and also, the protrusion that is coming off the driver's side of the valve cover has always been there for us.

Either way we won't know until you post a pic, upload it through another pic hosting site, that is what I do when I post pics on here.

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
They are the workhorse engines there. Like for small vans and such.

Just to be clear though there is NO jdm b15. There are jdm qrs but it is no different (internally).

Also be aware that there is a surplus of engine suppliers that scrub and restamp blocks to say qr25 when in fact it is a qr20.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
They are the workhorse engines there. Like for small vans and such.

Just to be clear though there is NO jdm b15. There are jdm qrs but it is no different (internally).

Also be aware that there is a surplus of engine suppliers that scrub and restamp blocks to say qr25 when in fact it is a qr20.
This happened to a buddy back in Colorado....after the engine being replaced, I test drove it for him and IMMEDIATELY felt the difference, opened the hood...and WALA a QR20 instead.

Hey either way, the QR25 should have the same internals as the ones here, no major difference unless as stated before if it's a DD vs a DE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
think it looks like it runs longer cause theres a bracket on it that makes it sit a little higher. I threw the old plenum on the used engine I bought and everything lined up perfectly. same size just that one vacuum line thats missing.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Haha I see that now. I dont know, I know enough about the japanese market to say

Its probly a Japanese QR but not in any kind of B15, or N16?? Something that is still undercover to the usdm market.

Come to think of it, the place I got my motor called it a jdm QR25, but I think that was just because it was a jdm shop that actually imported motors from overseas. Maybe just pulled it out of some rear ended SER and slapped the 'JDM' label on it. It had the manifold and everything and nothing struck me as being different on that one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I'm hoping for simplicity here. theres no "made in mexico" stamp on this one so idk what to think. I'm learning on aircrafts not engines so its not much of my strong suit but we'll find out once it's done. as of right now I know the top line on the pump is different. I got the parts for the breakdown for the pump and as per those diagrams it just looks like this engine was made from 07/02-04/03. I must have a later model Sentra cause that line comes straight up and Nissan had that dated from 04/03 and on.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.