A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 sentra and the key wouldn't turn. I change the ignition switch $$$ 500.00. and no change. Btw the remotes stop working too and the key light intermittent on dash. I can't turn key to on hook up monitor. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks bob

·
6,803 Posts
The key wouldn't turn physically? Could be a seized tumbler set in the lock cylinder and not the actual switch? You should be able to turn the ignition switch (electrical) manually. Does it have a physical key or is it the intelligent key with keyless ignition?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a actual bass key, NO push button. I drilled out the cylinder and it still wouldn't turn with a screwdriver. I got a complete replacement with new keys from Nissan by vin # and still have the same problem.. what is keeping this key from turning ???

·
6,803 Posts
It has a actual bass key, NO push button. I drilled out the cylinder and it still wouldn't turn with a screwdriver. I got a complete replacement with new keys from Nissan by vin # and still have the same problem.. what is keeping this key from turning ???
When you got new keys and lock cylinder/ignition switch assembly are you able to turn that without power? I imagine if the car had a dead battery it would still be able to turn the key to remove the lock from the steering to tow it. I wonder if your old set was messed up and couldn't do anything, but when they made you a new one that they messed up on the cutting of the key or installing new tumblers into the lock cylinder.

·
6,803 Posts
Also just a thought, have you tried separating the switch itself from the lock cylinder and turn that? You should be able to separate that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a removable cylinder. It's molded in the housing and not replaceable. When I drilled out the old cylinder the switch still wouldn't turn. The battery is fully charged and this was a intermitting issue for the last year. I usually try a couple of times and it would release and turn. Also the key light on the dash would also be intermitting on. And both remotes stop working at the same time and I replaced the battery in both and still don't work. Can't turn key on to try to reprogram the remotes .

·
6,803 Posts
I have a feeling that the bcm might be going. The bcm controls all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition
29 Posts
2010 sentra and the key wouldn't turn. I change the ignition switch $$$ 500.00. and no change. Btw the remotes stop working too and the key light intermittent on dash. I can't turn key to on hook up monitor. Any one have any suggestions. Thanks bob
I’m not sure about all this technical stuff but sometimes my key won’t turn physically. The way I fix it... try turning the steering wheel while you’re trying turn the key in the ignition. I have a 2006 Sentra and this works for me when the key is stuck

·
6,803 Posts
I’m not sure about all this technical stuff but sometimes my key won’t turn physically. The way I fix it... try turning the steering wheel while you’re trying turn the key in the ignition. I have a 2006 Sentra and this works for me when the key is stuck
What you're describing is the steering wheel lock.Pretty much all cars that still use a physical key have that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts