A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’m in the process of swapping QR25 motors right now. I ran into a snag last night when putting the wiring harness onto the new motor; the knock sensor didn’t want to connect. I tried looking up the knock sensor to see if there was some trick to connecting it, or if there were different parts numbers or something I could be missing. I thought I might’ve been going a little crazy since it was way past midnight so I decided to sleep on it. Right before writing this I decided to pull the knock sensors off of both motors and sure as shit they’re two different types.
Hand Motor vehicle Automotive tire Water Finger

Automotive tire Tread Font Circle Metal

Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Automotive tire

The Siemens brand sensor (left or top) came from the old motor, and the NGK sensor (right or bottom) came from the new one. I’m going to install the old sensor right after I’m done writing this up.
Is anybody familiar with the different knock sensor types or why they would be different? Maybe this JDM engine came from something other than an Altima or Sentra?

·
Administrator
6,991 Posts
ECU change at 04, but I don't think that was a change unless the was one between models that I'm unaware of but I doubt it and with that said you might want to verify the displacement as it might be a 20.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECU change at 04, but I don't think that was a change unless the was one between models that I'm unaware of but I doubt it and with that said you might want to verify the displacement as it might be a 20.
Man I really hope that’s not the case.
If you look up QR25 or QR20 knock sensor on eBay, you get similar results with a little bit of both connector styles. I guess they’re interchangeable, which would make sense given that some guys have run QR20’s on QR25 ECU’s.

·
Administrator
6,991 Posts
Run your original knock sensor... you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
I would just swap but yeah that would suck major ass if its a qr20. Search that and check. Itll work fine but just lack power.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is an ‘04, but it seems like it was manufactured in the middle of when they started changing everything. I’ve got the 04-06 body, but also 02-03 shifter bushings. I’m not sure which knock sensor would be 02-03 or 04-06.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
use the same one that matches the ecu you have. there are a ton of knock sensors in the nissan range. the knock sensor will not determine the displacement. QR20 and QR25 use the same sensors depending on the year of the electronics

these are some of the early ones: (00-04)
22060-2Y000
22060-8J000
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Auto part Gadget

Later ones: (04+)
22060-7S000
22060-AU010
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Rim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
use the same one that matches the ecu you have. there are a ton of knock sensors in the nissan range. the knock sensor will not determine the displacement. QR20 and QR25 use the same sensors depending on the year of the electronics

these are some of the early ones: (00-04)
22060-2Y000
22060-8J000
View attachment 175217

Later ones: (04+)
22060-7S000
22060-AU010
View attachment 175220
Nice this is the info I was hoping for, so thank you for that. My old engine/ecu came with the 04+ knock sensor, whereas the jdm motor I got came with the 02-04 knock sensor. I swapped it already and got the car running today, so I think everything is good. No check engine codes for knock sensors so I’m assuming it’s working.

·
Administrator
6,991 Posts
I forgot to do a part check when I got home, at least it is verified as I couldn't remember.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts