A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Koyo from 2J and was wondering if the Misho fan shroud (also purchased from 2J) fits the Koyo radiator flush....or is there a small gap?
Just wondering because I am trouble shooting my car overheating when running the AC for 30 minutes. The compressor, condenser, accumulator/ drier, and expansion valve are new. Only thing I can think of is the heat is not transferring as efficiently as is needed.
when ac is not on no overheating ever happens.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I just bought the Koyo from 2J and was wondering if the Misho fan shroud (also purchased from 2J) fits the Koyo radiator flush....or is there a small gap?
Just wondering because I am trouble shooting my car overheating when running the AC for 30 minutes. The compressor, condenser, accumulator/ drier, and expansion valve are new. Only thing I can think of is the heat is not transferring as efficiently as is needed.
when ac is not on no overheating ever happens.
the shroud does NOT sit flush on the radiator, but you should also get with the shroud, some weatherstripping to put around the edge that sits closest to the radiator. if it is not included, as mine wasnt, I ordered up some 1/2" thick, by 3/4" wide foam weatherstrip, it does the job very well.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Agreed on the foam weather strip. Mine did come with it so it was used to fill the gap. More signs of incompetence from 2j..

Overheating only when ac is on a sign that the ac fan isnt working or is weak. The fan could be failing when hot. What kind of fans do you have in the shroud?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 spal and 1 misho

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will home depot weather stripping withstand the heat or is there a specific type I need?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gonna look into cutting the tabs at the top of the shroud and re-positioning them so it fits proper on the radiator. also going to take out the 350 chevy thermostat mod and switch back to misho's...

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
gonna look into cutting the tabs at the top of the shroud and re-positioning them so it fits proper on the radiator. also going to take out the 350 chevy thermostat mod and switch back to misho's...

ive been running the chevy t-stats too

my shroud bolted right up
but you can see the gap here
no foam used
DSCN1482 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

my car over heated in very heavy traffic after about 1 hour
and in the staging lanes at the drag strip

the koyo with the mitsi shroud and fans solved that
but ate up all my available room
DSCN1145 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

they really helped coming home with all the eclipse traffic
almost 8 hours in stop and go with no overheating
20170821_180122 by Barry Belgard, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Ah yes the tabs were also pretty far off for me too. The foam seal is important tho.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barry that fits flush as hell.... right now I have at least an inch gap at the top because of the radiator's plastic top....the way yours stands in the pic plus a strip of foam around the border and Im feeling like at least a 4* temp drop just from that. add in the 20* temp drop with the Misho thermostat....I think this is problem solved. But I will let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
do i have a different radiator and shroud?

i have been recommending this combo because it fit so well and worked
yipes
have to stop that

i thought that was a gap [1/16-1/8"]
but ye gads an inch

my rad was made 10-11 years ago

when i swapped it in, i noticed it was the exact same dimensions as the stocker
nor did it, improve the cooling problem i had with the vq

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i received the Koyo radiator and Mishimoto thermostats yesterday afternoon. Seemed like the radiator got stepped on before it was shipped. The delivery driver made a note in case I wanted to decline delivery...after looking at it I thought it wasn't that bad...a few bent fins but not too bad. I already had the car apart so I accepted it.
I took the opportunity to do some touch up and prep work. I used air-sealing window foam 1/4" height 1/2"width from Home Depot and it fits the Koyo PERFECTLY. I painted the water pipe going from the head to the water control valve. Bought a new water temp sensor, new gasket, new bolts, cleaned up the wiring. Took turbo apart and knocked out the dried up oil from the hot side by spinning the wheel by hand back and forth...seems to be a normal maintenance procedure every 6 months or so...somebody can chime in if this is abnormal or if I need to know something. Tested the AC for an hour with no overheating but will provide an update after a week of driving and idling in the afternoon heat with my work commute.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cooling problem 100% solved. ac stiil acts bizare after an hour...still hope it just works itself out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts