A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H.i.d. Lights can be sick with a good looking retrofit and quality projectors, we've all seen those on the forum with them and we are all jealous. That being said, I can't bring myself to drop more than a few hundred dollars just on parts alone for lights! Plus hid lights are played out here in San Diego. Which brings me to LED headlights. Does anyone have experience with these? Vled has some nice looking ones on their site and have always been known for quality. Obviously people use hids with out correct projectors, if even any projectors at all. So I can only assume you could do the same with LEDs. But, do the LEDs need projectors to be used correctly, and if so what kind? There's not much info out there/ I've only researched for about 10 min. I do know when I ran LEDs for my turn signals and fog lights before switching back to halogen, they had a little built in projector on them. Pretty much what all do I need in parts, besides the light kit, to use led headlights correctly?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I suppose you could just pop in a LED bulb kit the same as a HID kit into your factory housings. But it will look like shit the same as the HID kit and blind other drivers, and your stock halogens will still probably outperform the LEDs in the factory housing as far as output distance goes. The LED kits also have a fan you need to wire and a small heatsink , I think. God knows how efficient that really is and how long it will be until the thing overheats.

The two biggest issues that I'm aware of with a LED retrofit are cooling and optics. LEDs are less tolerant to heat than filament bulbs and can burn out quickly if not cooled properly. LEDs also send out a different beam pattern than filament bulbs, so a proper projector is essential to send all that output on the road, where you want it to go.

Maybe things have improved, since I admit my research was done a couple years ago, so YMMV.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All true, and I'd never pop them in out stock reflectors. Did it with hids for 3 months before just going back to halogen. I guess what I meant was what kind of projectors would they use? I can't find straight up led projectors

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you or anyone else is still interested in led headlights, let me know and I can give you more info and help you get setup with a set that comes with lifetime warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts