A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum and the car in general, I'm looking at an 06 ser spec v with 120k miles tomorrow. I test drove it today but didn't have much time to check everything out so I'm curious what I should look for and whats considered a good price. It drove pretty good but it's sat for awhile, there's alittle rust on the side skirts since it's in WI. But I didn't notice any other rust on first glance. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, Aphamoe77,

You'll want to make sure it's not burning oil. These 2.5 Sentra's had an issue with the pre-cat in the exhaust manifold coughing material in the engine bay, destroying it and causing excess oil consumption. A compression test should be able to determine this as well. Definitely make sure that there is no blue smoke coming out of the muffler.

If it's not burning oil, it's a good buy if the condition seems decent, but I would replace the exhaust manifold with one from 1AAuto as soon as possible (apparently the manufacturer of that part fixed the problem).

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V
132 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Alphamoe77, there are a few things to look out for just so you can get somewhat of an idea where the car stands. Check for any stored codes the car may have, if it didn't have a battery before you test drove it you won't get a CEL right away. Sometimes it can take more then 50 miles to throw a code (camshaft/crankshaft position sensor) is just an example of one but definitely check that out. Check under the car especially if you say you see some rust spots, look around where the suspension holds to the frame etc. Rust is inevitable sometimes and most of the time you can live with it but you don't want a rust bucket. Do a bounce test on your suspension too, its not definitive but it will give you a good idea where that stands too. Check the oil like the person above suggested. Spec V's are fun little cars and really easy to work on, and they have potential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts