A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Looking to finally do my struts this week since I have all week off work. I have all the tools. Looking to get parts. I don't believe my shock springs are working anymore. They are shot. So I'm looking for the most cost effective part. I'm not too worried about preformance. I would like more reliability then preformance. So I've been looking at these quick struts and very few people make them for my 2003 Spec-V. Although. I've heard that Nissan B15 struts can be interchanged. Does anybody had some dirt on that? I guess all I need to be is pointed in the right direction when it comes to parts. Looking to replace strut, coil, bearing mount, and boot.

PS. If anyone has a Kick*** tutorial on struts let me know. I've looked around and found a few. Just would like to know what you guys have.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
https://www.2j-racing.com/suspension-chassis.html?limit=all

has everything you will need. Something to consider tho, is by the time you buy springs, mounts, and struts, you are well within ballpark of some of the coilovers on the 2J site. Coilovers will give you a much better feeling while driving your car than struts will. I bought the BC coilovers from them about 6 years ago and have had zero problems out of them, even after 70K miles.

Side note, springs dont really wear out, if they are bad, they will break rather than wear. If it feels as if they are too soft, it could be the worn struts not providing any damping rather than springs.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Generally the coils or springs on the struts and shocks should not wear out unless they have snapped. You should be able to reuse those and source all the separate items and save some cash. I have used the quick struts on some of my other cars before and they are ok. They are cheap and easy to swap in since they are fully assembled but long term I don't believe they last that long. Also, in the case of the SpecV, I think these would be too soft. These are more in line with the 1.8s suspension. If you like the sportiness of the SpecV you might want to go with KYBs. They will last longer (so cheaper long term) and the ride quality will be more sporty.

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
If you want a cheap coilover you can get raceland coilovers for 450 shipped. I've been running them over 2 years now and I don't mind them one bit. I'd buy them again.
But if you can afford Bc coilovers I'd get them
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great. I'll look into coilovers. The idea of replacing the springs on my car is because the car is riding lower then stock and the suspension is stock. About three years ago I had a shop put in new struts in the front and they went to crap like in a year. So I'm assuming springs need to be replaced. I don't want to burn through struts like that.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
another option,
if you feel your springs are shot

are good, used, spec-v springs

from someone going to coilovers
or
an import, used part, dealer, who will ship

not a recommendation
just what came up when i goggled
for example
http://www.jimsimport.com/

combined with a new mounts and KYBs

or for about the same cost
https://www.2j-racing.com/suspension-chassis/tein-02-06-nissan-sentra-street-basis-coilovers.html

needed in ether case
mounts
https://www.2j-racing.com/suspension-chassis/kyb-strut-mounts-front-strut-mount-bearing.html
https://www.2j-racing.com/suspension-chassis/kyb-strut-mounts-rear.html

imo

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Ok great. I'll look into coilovers. The idea of replacing the springs on my car is because the car is riding lower then stock and the suspension is stock. About three years ago I had a shop put in new struts in the front and they went to crap like in a year. So I'm assuming springs need to be replaced. I don't want to burn through struts like that.

could be due to bent or damaged struts

were they KYB's?

stiffer springs do that, not softer or stock ones
are you sure the springs are stock?

imo

·
Super Moderator
20,871 Posts
If your car has cut springs (or shortened with a torch), or if it has lowering springs, you'll wear out the dampers very fast because you'll hit the bumpstops often because the ride height rest(static) position of the damper is no longer in the correct part of the stroke. Also a cut spring has a higher than stock spring rate, which causes a bouncy ride that a stock damper can't adequately dampen.

Kaz likes his Racelands. And while I would never recommend Raceland, they are cheap and they honored their warranty when one of his dampers failed. If you set them up properly, they would last the longest they can last. They are not designed in a way that allows for much adjustment. You cannot adjust height the same way you can with a BC and that is a HUGE difference.

If you can afford it, BCs are a good option. You can order any spring rate you want. And ride height can be adjusted independently of spring preload or shock stroke. You can shorten or lengthen the body of the strut without effecting shock stroke or spring preload, instead of only being able to raise or lower the spring perch like a Raceland (does effect stroke and preload).

I agree with everyone else about quick struts. You don't want to end up with suspension designed for 1.8 car.

One of us probably would sell our stock suspension. But you're better off getting new parts if it works with your budget.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so finding struts that are 2.5 specific seems like a good idea.

The struts the mechanics used to replace the stock struts are KYB. However I purchased the car from an owner who was the only one that ever had it. He had never done anything with the suspension. So I think it's safe to assume the shocks are OEM. The struts the shop put into my car lasted maybe 10 months. So something has to be wrong with the front coils right? The car has 230k miles on it. So it wouldn't be out of the question right?

The coilovers look awesome. Unfortunately I have a budget of around $300. Too much more and my wife might kill me. So either I find a quick strut that is 2.5 comparable or go through the process of gather all the parts and making the entire assembly from scratch. I guess that seems the only viable option?

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
Go 150 more get the racelands. Or I'm gonna be taking mine off soon for BC's. I'd sell then cheap

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
I also have stock struts and springs good shape also have struts with drop springs. If your interested in any of them just pm me

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
before you spend $
look underneath yourself, pull a wheel off the ground check for any motion.
do the other side

then remove, if necessary, one wheel, up front at a time
does everything look straight

post some pics
let us have a look-see

something is not right here
i have never broken a spring

and i doubt you drive like me
i can break anything

and usually do
lol

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
before you spend $
look underneath yourself, pull a wheel off the ground check for any motion.
do the other side

then remove, if necessary, one wheel, up front at a time
does everything look straight

post some pics
let us have a look-see

something is not right here
i have never broken a spring

and i doubt you drive like me
i can break anything

and usually do
lol
thats the truth!!!^^^

If it can be broken, between @yogi b and I, we have broken it

·
Registered
24 Posts
KYB offers a lifetime warranty on their strut cartridges. Might be something you want to look into. You might have to pay labor at the shop, but the parts should be free. FYI, book hours for front and rear struts shouldn't be more than about 6 hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup I'm planning on 6 maybe less because I have a mechanic that rents out a garage next to our apartment that is also willing to help.

Here are the photos of the front. I jacked the car up and wiggled the tire. Not much play on either side. Nothing out of the norm. Both sides look the same as well. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just for reference, you could probably swap them out yourself, in your driveway, in 2 hours more or less. and unless you go with coilovers that have camber adjustment, the only thing that you will need is a toe alignment after you are done.
Yup. I've done struts on a Honda before. Took like 2 hours. Including test driving. So I know it's easy enough however this car has tricks up its sleeve with it being so old.

·
Super Moderator
20,871 Posts
Yup I'm planning on 6 maybe less because I have a mechanic that rents out a garage next to our apartment that is also willing to help.

Here are the photos of the front. I jacked the car up and wiggled the tire. Not much play on either side. Nothing out of the norm. Both sides look the same as well. Let me know what you guys think.

Why your struts are blown sticks out.

Asshats didn't replace the damn dust boots!!!! WTF :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts