A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm the first owner of a 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V with less than 30K miles on it. Yet another article about manual transmission manufacturing/driving becoming a thing of the past recently got me to watch more videos on my car as well as read forums such as this. Quite the rabbit hole!

Since I never looked farther into ownership all of this pre-cat and butterfly valve screws stuff is disheartening news to me. I don't see my dumping a lot of money into it, and my DIY days are probably in the past. Is it really worth paying someone to do this stuff or am I better off to sell? Or is it a "labor of love" kind of choice?

I'm not fishing for offers, but I'd welcome and appreciate your opinions--especially if you know of a pre-cat solution that's either fairly inexpensive or sounds quiet or a little throaty.

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
For your year the hardware was changed the previous year iirc for the butterfly screws and no longer requires the loctite, people still did/ does it just for the warm and fuzzy.

I can't remember what a stock exhaust sounds like with a header from back in the day. Extra work for the downstream o2 sensor would be either an o2 spacer (easy) or relocating it behind the secondary cat. All the traditional style headers sold are on eBay, Amazon and other various cheap locations for... well... cheap. The other option is to punch out the cat but I wouldn't recommend.

If everything goes smoothly both jobs should take half a day combined, and might want to replace the belt pending condition and age while you are at it.

I personally would keep it for a multitude of reasons, the work is minor with the only extra surprise would be replacing hardware due to various reasons.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
I'd read a post that said a similar thing about the butterfly screws for the 2006, but I could never find anything for certain. Posts about headers with stock exhaust say it sounds raspy, which I think means a little like a motorcycle? I'd definitely prefer something more mellow than that, but I guess I could do a cat-back if I had to.

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
I think the rasp was from having an aftermarket header and mid pipe (no cats) on the stock catback, but even with full aftermarket exhaust a cat and resonator all but eliminated the rasp.... it's been so long...

·
One of One???
1,805 Posts
Keep it, it's a labor of love type thing. Get a Armonic Performance Header, They are a tad pricy, but well worth it. Vibtant Hi flo cat, and Vibrant resonator will keep the rasp down. A stromung or Nismo exhaust is perfect on this motor. HKS also has a pretty cheap exhaust that pops up on Ebay every now ant then thats really good. It says its for an SR20 Sentra, but a small trip to an exhaust shop should help get it set up. Especially at 30k, you're bearly breaking it in!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
am I the only one impressed with the lack of miles on this thing???

is it in good shape?
Yeah, it's actually in better shape than I probably deserve. It's never been garaged. It could use a good detailing, but I think most of the problems are minor. Brakes, rotors and tires are all about a year old. As far as I know, there's no body or frame rust. The aluminum rims have scrapes.

This morning, I took it to the mechanic for an oil change, radiator flush and to try out that Redline manual transmission oil people here rave about. Ended up with a new drive belt (thanks for the reminder CrickiKaze), alignment (I was surprised), and some other things that apparently add up to about $1300. They hoped to fix a hole in the midpipe but it seems that needs replacing due to rust. I'm waiting on that since I'm considering replacing the whole exhaust, but now I'm back to asking myself the original question if it's worth it. Frustrating. Fun little car to drive, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I'm the first owner of a 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V with less than 30K miles on it. Yet another article about manual transmission manufacturing/driving becoming a thing of the past recently got me to watch more videos on my car as well as read forums such as this. Quite the rabbit hole!

Since I never looked farther into ownership all of this pre-cat and butterfly valve screws stuff is disheartening news to me. I don't see my dumping a lot of money into it, and my DIY days are probably in the past. Is it really worth paying someone to do this stuff or am I better off to sell? Or is it a "labor of love" kind of choice?

I'm not fishing for offers, but I'd welcome and appreciate your opinions--especially if you know of a pre-cat solution that's either fairly inexpensive or sounds quiet or a little throaty.
I'd definitely keep it...although a car like that with that low mileage during a time when used cars are selling for more than they ever have or likely ever will, if you must sell, sell now. One of these with 38K on the clock went for nearly $14K in Illinois last year in spite of a long, multi-site thread of people mocking the seller and, eventually, the buyer. I later messaged with the buyer and he had zero regrets and implied the car was much better even than described. I have an '03 VQ3.5, my second '03 (my first one an SER bought new right off the showroom floor--10 years kept meticulously and then it sucked the cat'), and I wouldn't sell my VQ (money pit though it is) for twice its worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of these with 38K on the clock went for nearly $14K in Illinois last year
Woah! I know a lot of that has to do with a tight market but I was definitely getting that money pit feeling and wondering if even yesterday's was worth it.

Keep it, it's a labor of love type thing. Get a Armonic Performance Header, They are a tad pricy, but well worth it.
Is Facebook the only/best way to contact him? I deleted my FB account years ago. 😅 I guess I could make a new one.

I got the car back. It's running nicely. The brakes were squeaking so that's why the brake stuff's in there. I took some pics--the ol' girl really needs a trip to the detailer. haha. Also including the repair sheet so you know I'm not blowing smoke. I pray they used Redline like they said they would. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference but it's not listed on the bill other than "synthetic".

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

The interior REALLY needs detailing. 😜 I think the driver's seat should clean up nicely, I just haven't done it. Seat cushion is just for my wife for when we were taking some long trips:

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Automotive design

Black Handwriting Font Sleeve Material property

Tada!
Gauge Car Speedometer Measuring instrument Odometer

Ended up being "only" $1160:

Receipt Material property Font Paper Paper product

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dang, that's superfine. Keep it, drive it more often--we all deserve some unbridled joy in our lives! (But if you do put it up for sale, I think the way the market is right now, you could probably hit $10K for it. Others in this stream will think I'm crazy, but I've had offers for my '03 Gen 1 VQ3.5 with crappy body and interior for close enough to that.to say you could hold out for that much and get it.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy smokes (no pun intended) this exhaust thing will be expensive even before paying someone to install them. But, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here and I guess it'd be cheaper than a new engine later-on.

He never responded through email, but he was quick to reply on Facebook after I made a new account. It'll be $575 shipped, but I don't think I'd want anything else on there.

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
Most of us do the work ourselves but the cost of the goods are coming up so its just a bad time for you to do this preventative measure plus extras, but on the bright side you will be getting rid of potential exhaust issues if you are in a rust/salt winter environment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm just old-man-yelling at the clouds. I'm very grateful for everyone's help and patience.

I'm thinking of taking @Tritton 's Armonic/Vibrant/Stromrung suggestions (2.25"), though the high performance cat seems hard to find and I'm not sure if a shop would replace it anyway. It sounds like the alternator may need to be moved a little , perhaps with a 2J bracket and I saw SC Concepts makes an alternator heat shield. Despite my earlier protestations on costs, I'm wondering if I should get the header ceramic coated? More so to protect the alternator and hood paint than salvaging some HP, but then maybe I'm overthinking things.

And of course the non-fouler suggestion, or plan on getting the Stromrung with the 02 bung option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts