A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Make your sentra better for less: the newbie guide

82K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  Alex07kc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know there is a list of mods, parts, and what not for newcomers, but this thread is not just a list of stuff for sentras. Yogi, others, and myself sorta did this on a noobie's thread when the question was asked "What else can I do for cheap?" So I'm trying to organize it so we can have just 1 quick link for people to use when they introduce themselves and have that question.

For example, instead of 6 people thankfully piping in on a welcome thread with suggested first mods, we can say "go here link."

The other goal here is to keep the $$$ to a minimum. This will eliminate things like headers (aftermarket), lowering springs, and so on. Yes they are definitely necessary, but not for the goal of this thread.

I will edit this several times I'm sure, but for now we'll start 1 list that will stay at $100. These are in no order of importance necessarily. Some of these mods might be less depending on if for example you have loctite already. That mod would then be free. I'm assuming the cost of the supplies in these prices.

11-6-11 UPDATE
As I forewarned, the list would need several revisions so here is a moderate update. I have included a new section, or list rather, that is more cosmetic based. So basically we have 3 lists: A "performance" list with several performance mods that will roughly total $100, a "cosmetic" list that will include basically everything not performance related, and a third list of single items that are typically sold for less than $100 a piece. Again, nothing is listed in an order of importance and as stated the goal here is cheap, cheap, cheap. This list will always grow so your opinions and input are highly valued for the greater good of the b15 community. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this.

PERFORMANCE RELATED MODS
1. Loctite Butterfly screw mod $4

2. All B16 Models - Remove/Gut Stock Exhaust Manifold (07+) $0

3. Throttle body bypass $0

4. All B15 Models - Motor Mount Inserts $50

5. $4 wheel hop aid $4

6. Balance shaft chain cut $6

7.$9 short shifter $9

8. 02-0 sentra knock sensor relocation $10

9. Seafoam $9.99

10. Skateboard shifter bushing mod (no link) $5

11. How to clean MAF Sensor…With Pics $5

TOTAL=$102.99

COSMETIC RELATED MODS
1. All B15 Models - Fog Light Mod

2. Dash Light Conversion Tutorial

3. Fix Squeaky Clutch

4. HOWTO: auto A/C switch mod

5. How to Fix foggy headlights

6. Blacked out tail lights

7. Paint Emblems (the right way w/PICS)

8. renewing rusty window sills !

9. Clutch Switch Bypass

10. How To: Install Custom Cup Holder

11. Make a Front Lip

12. $3 Radiator Rubber Bushing Mod

13. Keep your rotors from rusting

14. All B15 Models - How To; Make Your Own Speaker Spacers from Stock Speakers.

15. How to: Make a custom mesh grille

16. 04-06 - Remove, Modify, Fix Reverse Lockout

17. E-brake (Parking Brake) Adjust

18. How to: Cheap yellow fog lenses

19. How to: Make spoiler gaskets

20. All B15 Models - How to make E-BRAKE TIGHTER

21. How To Reuse THe Old Speaker Bracket For New Speakers

22. Make a custom front splitter from ABS plastic

23. How-To: 00-03 Retrofit HID projector headlamps and yellow fogs on the cheap

24. All B15 Models - Install Nissan Rogue Hood Struts

25. http://www.b15u.com/threads/exterior-modifications-paint-bodywork/18627-accord-lip.html

After considering what has been suggested by the feedback, a 3rd list is below for items that are less than $100 each and several are MUST have items for improving the b15. I did not list prices because they can change like the weather. Again, no specific order, just listing them as they come out. This list too will grow.

PARTS FOR UNDER $100
1. 2J racing anti lift kit (ALK)

2. 2J racing brass or aluminum shift bushings -or- FI-R nylatron shift bushings

3. 2J racing 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, and 20mm wheel spacers (1 set)

4. 2J racing rear trailing arm bushings

5. 2J racing bump steer kit

6. FI-R d.i.y. QR to VQ tb kit

7. FI-R nylatron cross member bushings

8. Ultra Racing front strut bar-upper

9. eBay stainless steel or ceramic header

10. eBay short ram intake

11. Jim Wolf Technologies balance shaft removal kit.

12. http://www.b15u.com/threads/sentra-...hnical-info/21347-how-cooler-thermostats.html

13. http://www.b15u.com/threads/sentra-...s-technical-info/15946-how-oil-catch-can.html

14. OBX or 2J racing lightweight crankshaft pulley.

15. http://www.b15u.com/threads/sentra-...wrap-your-exhaust-dp-header-exhaust-wrap.html

Feedback welcomed

See less See more
#2 ·
I love how the b15 puts the "more power" idea to the side when it comes to modding. Don't get me wrong, more power is great and the QR25 platform has plenty of areas to make power, but there are just as many mods that don't have anything to do with a power adding part. Instead the mods apply the power you already have in a more effective way, or they free up wasted power (like the balance shaft chain cut).

#3 ·
cleaning the maf regulaly(what ever it cost for a can in your area)

maf re-learn(buying used or cleaning maf)

re-setting fuel trims(kinda goes with cleaning the maf, could also go with filter and plugs etc.)

oil catch can(the most pricey but worth it) (see my thread "my next can")

hood spacers

properly cleaning the tb (take it off and spray both sides)

Seafoaming (how ever much a can cost)

Oil cooler (very costly but a must have for any nissan)

I can't think of anymore and some of these is a little extreme but its beter than nothing and sorry for not adding links.

#5 ·
hey also i have nology wires. worth putting on or should i try to sell?>

#7 · (Edited)
Dont you have to take changing your oil into account with the bsr? Just an added cost. You could also throw in the fog light mod, changing cluster and havc lights, that's pretty cheap as well. There is also the $20 SRI. These are some more simple mods that require little to no experience to do.

#9 ·
They're are lots of diy things like the fog light mod but I was thinking more performance wise. Guess that's kinda close-minded but that's why I didn't include things like the gauge mod, fog light mod, etc. That can always be added so keep it up!

O and Ive always been on the fence about Nology wires on a spec.

#11 ·
ok well im currently trying to sell the fuckers. Brand new in packaging.......ummmm hmmmmm yeah i wanna make the spec faster since its been sitting about a month. somehow i crushed my midpipe and it killed both my o2 sensors.........so i have a megan midpipe in the mail......but i mean i have nismo intake, and will have midpipe and exhaust. But i been driving the se-r altima lol soooooo yeah my sentra is gunna feel so dam slow lol.

#13 ·
Just do the balance shaft chain cut when its time for an oil change. I'm about 500 miles away so I think I'll cut the chain and put some seafoam in the crank case at the same time.
That's why I didn't include that in the price. I just guessed for a tube of RTV. If you have no bolt cutters, buy some from Home Depot, use them once, and return them.

#19 ·
great effort here, and thanks for putting this together, here's some thoughts:

3. tb bypass - while this is a good mod in getting colder air, it should be noted the tb is heated for a reason, so the ppl in cold climates dont get their tb frozen open.
4. & 5. mmi & wha - the prothane are only a few dollars more, i know some ppl swear the solid mounts are better. but either way, i think this should be paired with the $5 wha since it will be done at the same time.
6. bs chain cut - there's a writeup somewhere for travis' free bsr, im guessing itll also be a couple dollars more.

also, as you said somewhere a $20 sri would be a nice add to the list, or the $8 maf adapter instead. i do like the foglight mod myself, but there's also the disable auto a/c mod that is easy to do.

#21 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will add the sri.

What about the skateboard bearing shifter mod. Less than 5 dollars and works awesome for 02-03 and some '04s.
Do a write-up on it and I'll add the link. I dont know anything about it other than what you've told me.

#24 ·
So gutting the stock header will keep it from tearing apart the pre-cat and blowing up the motor?? If so does anybody have a good article on how to gut the stock header?

#25 ·
This video explains the benefits of a cat (not coincidentally it appears it's exactly like the spec v cat) but doesn't mention that it's really harmful that the cat is so close to the exhaust ports of the block.

Anyway, that cross section of the cat shows the honeycomb material that needs to be busted out. A long screwdriver, a pole, rod... anything you can come up with to jab in there and break that stuff up. YOU MUST GET IT ALL OUT! If you don't, you just helped your cat destroy your engine. If you remove your cat and see it's already busted up, then it might be too late for your engine. Remember your engine can suck that shit back in when you take your foot off the gas to shift or to stop.

http://youtu.be/GkRXhfgZelI

#30 ·
**Big edit to the list(s)

Ok I just spent an hour hunting down numerous how-to's for the cosmetic list. I hope this will help everyone out that requested the various mods. EVERYTHING on any list should total no more than $100. In fact, 90% of the first two list have mods that are under $10!! Awesome.

#31 ·
I don't know what I can contribute to this...

Cosmetic -

Shorty Billet antenna - $8-$20
Shift Knob - $15-$60 also shortens height 1cm(shaft needs to be wrapped in duct/electrical tape to stay tight)
Heatshield next to oil pan- $20
License plate LED's - $10-20
Dash paint, guage bezel paint $10
Custom Reservoir Covers - $20 (I.e. Hks, spoon, greddy style)

Are ground wires or voltage stabilizers on the list?
Catch cans and breathers are pretty cheap especially the water seperator one or diesel fuel filter...

#32 ·
There is a lot of items that aren't on the list like ground wires and such. The reason being is that although they certainly serve a purpose, they're not really must have parts like a header. Same with the cosmetic stuff. Shift knobs are a good interior upgrade but I mostly listed DIY mods or fixes for problems like squeaky clutches. I really like the shorty antenna and reservior covers suggestion though. I'll look into that.

#34 ·
The jdm reservoir covers aint nothing but wristbands, when I paid 35$ for hks ones I was pissed.
Custom Wristbands - Custom Sweatbands - Memorial Bands. Upload a B15u logo, that would be an awesome cheap groupbuy lol mine say 2.5 Spec-v, lemme wash'em and I'll take pics lol

Would u consider the Hondata gasket "must" have? That's $50
Yea that would be a cool ass group buy. You should start one. As far as the IM gasket I would have to say no it's not a must have. I don't even know anyone with it actually. Not saying it doesn't work or that no one has it, I just really don't see much of it in the community.

#36 ·
i really like this thread because it really helps me out as a newbie lol i know it says "for cheap" on the thread but where could i find a straight pipe for my 1.8 b15??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.