A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start my build thread, so here it is, starting from the beginning...

Got the Aztec Red 02 back in 2007 for $9.5 with 80k miles. Not a great deal but I got a steam cleaning and new brake pads in the deal.
Gotta resize my old pics to post here.

Dealer ad
insider.jpg

Sweet ass interior
IMG00436.jpg IMG00437.jpg

Then, maybe a year later, had an accident and got a nose job:
IMG00430.jpg
IMG00431.jpg
IMG00432.jpg
IMG00433.jpg

A few years passed with no change, then I got a DUI and lost my license and my job. Had to sell the wheels. It sat on cinder blocks for a good year and a half in my mom's garage. Picked myself up and renewed my license, got insurance and a nice set of steelies with tires off an altima. Lots of miles later, only real change was my clearcoat flaked out on me. Moved around the gulf coast for a couple of years until I decided to get a more reliable job instead of the uncertainty of the commission based sales job I had that was getting me nowhere. For the past year and half, I have been working at the Nissan production plant in Canton, MS. I make decent money and finally was able to start what I bought the car for... the mods.

I made it back to Mississippi from Florida on 3 bald, used tires and a donut (yes, I drove 14 hours on a donut. had to happen) in August 2013. Got the job in September and bought 4 new tires, firstly. Addressed the brakes shortly after that and replaced a couple of stripped and cross-threaded wheel studs. Grabbed a full set of altima lugs from the plant since mine were 3 different sizes. At this point, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put more money into the car or not, so all the purchases were just to get it back to being dependable for daily use. But, I needed better sound.

Got some 1/4" plywood to make an amp rack. I used the black plastic thing in the trunk as a template and just went higher on the top to match some bolt holes up. Sanded, primed, sprayed black w/ flakes and got some faux leather fabric to hide the foam on the back seats from showing through the gap I cut in the middle of the board to feed wires through. I installed a Pioneer MVHX560BT Bluetooth Digital Media Receiver, Kenwood 6.5" components all around, an Infinity Reference 8" sub in a sealed box with a 2000w generic amp and gold battery connects.

IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG

I'm not sure if the small amp was too much for the battery and alternator, but I could not hold a charge on the battery. So I got a Duralast Gold. The specs on it were slightly better than the Optima I was looking at and the warranty was better. But that wasn't enough, the old battery had all but killed the alternator. Got an aftermarket replacement and installed that. Pretty much sorted out my electrical issues. I also hard-wired an iphone charger through my center vents to plug into my phone while mounted on the windshield. I quit smoking and deleted the car lighter. Fed an aux input and usb for the head unit through there. They tuck nicely in the round hole without falling back or coming out forward.

Painted my steelies satin black, along with my 5" shorty antennae(was starting to fade to bronze) and GXE grille(I hated the chrome), which I switched out the eBay mesh grille for. I got a magnetic NRG oil drain plug for some reason. It's pretty.

The plastic engine cover. I took it off and held onto it for years, but I repainted the silver "2.5 CVTC," threw away the flaking nissan burger and grabbed a new one off a '15 altima grille, and stuck one of the SER's from the side on. Wanted to see who was paying attention so I put the burger on upside down. Also thought some red acrylic paint would be a nice touch behind it. Still missing two bolts for the bracket, but that's coming.
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG

Back in the day, I really liked the halo projectors. So I got me some that came with a set of fogs. Then, I got so sick of looking at that hideous mange of a paint job that I decided I would rather plasti dip it myself. I like the spoilerless look better. Got some big, round plastic interior fasteners and plugged the holes using a healthy dose of clear silicone to seal it up. Got some Spyder Auto mirrors with amber signals in them. Wired them to only flash with the blinkers. Upgraded all the brake/reverse/turn/fog bulbs to really good quality LEDs(JDM Astar on eBay). Without the spoiler's LED bar, I felt vulnerable since most drivers around here suck. Mounted an LED bar inside the top of the back glass. All of the LEDs look surprisingly tasteful and super bright.
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG

At some point, I put the notorious eBay all-aluminum radiator in after my stock rad began to spew everywhere. The upper hose collapses like you'd expect, but hopefully a 2J nismo rep rad cap will fix that. Should be here this week(with my ALK!). Also grabbed a BLOX universal intake filter with built-in velocity stack, MAF adapter, a universal intake tube that I had to cut to size, and a small breather filter for the crank case(yea I know, oil catch can and all that, i'm looking into it.) Got the TDMI battery tie-down. 2J short throw shifter with bushings.
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG

More recently, I picked some missing pieces from a junkyard that I needed. Got my awesome isuzu rodeo 4wd gear selector while I was there. I'm in the process of changing fluids. I checked that my butterfly valve screws were loctited. Got some BC BR coilovers from 2J. having some trouble with that at the moment. But here we are
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
^^not feelin the projectors anymore. clear corners are what I needed. The LEDS look really cool since the housing is black and you can't see any color whatsoever in my headlights until I hit the blinker and AMBER!
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
^^my wax paper funnel for red line mt90 :icon16:

Some shots of my burden carrier reppin B15U.com, 2J Racing, and TDMI Imports... At the Nissan plant. I figured since we make all the altimas and frontiers that I could fly the flag for those deserving.
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG
(haven't taken a pic with the b15u logo yet, but it's in the middle on the bottom of the black part, under the 2J and TDMI)

Them LEDs up close
image.jpg
image.jpg

-------
-------
-------
Build as of 2016

Head was fully serviced
Hitachi coil packs
NGK Iridium IX LFR5AIX plugs
2J valve springs
Cometic head gasket
ARP head studs
Weapon-R intake coupled with the BLOX venturi and filter
Ebay header
2J Nismo replica radiator cap
Ebay aluminum radiator
B16 Spec V intake manifold and fuel rail with 2J adapter set
Saikou Michi OCC
2J crossmember bushings w/ new OEM bolts
Goodridge steel braided brake lines w/ DOT4
Centric rear blank rotors, reman calipers and brackets
Rebuilt the front calipers, reman brackets
StopTech Sport pads all around
Exedy clutch master and slave cylinders
2J steel braided smoke clutch line w/ DOT5
SuperPro front LCA bushings
SuperPro steering rack bushing
Whiteline endlinks
2J STS
2J turcite shifter bushings
2J BSK w/ Aurora Heim joints
2J RCK
2J 10mm ALK
2J adjustable rear sway bar
ES MMI
Ultra Racing room bar
Ultra Racing trunk brace
2J crank pulley
2J PS pulley and belt
JWT BSR
17x9 +25 JNC 010 w/ TOYO Extensa HP 225/45 rolled rears, pulled fronts
Lower temp Stant Superstats
Custom grounding kit with KnuKonceptz OFC wiring
BC dampener adjuster extensions
ES bushing on the knock sensor
OEM timing kit w/ new OEM cam phaser from 2J
2J adjustable exhaust cam gear set at +2
BLOX magnetic oil drain plug
Hitachi oil pump
New OEM cam gear cover (because I broke that sob)
New TYC alternator (I forgot to tighten the nut)
New OEM exhaust mani and donut gasket (the ones that came with the header were garbage and leaked)
New exhaust springs and bolts w/ sleeves
Stainless 90 degree o2 spacer (no more antifouler stack, was too close to fans)

I stripped all the carpeting and sound deadening
Painted the interior black
Relocated the amp under the driver's seat
Anchored my 8" sub in the trunk
Threw on an STI CS2 lip
Picked up a rare GXE grille
Mated the clear corner lenses and internals to some DEPO housings
Installed OEM R34 side marker lights w/ amber LEDs
Switchback turn signal LEDs
Got a GXE trunk for no holes
Vanity license plate "MANCUSO"
Maxima folding mirrors
Rubber band quick release since I cut the fender brackets off
Ditched the plastidip and went full 240 paint scheme
Various other custom cosmetic shit

Switched to AMSoil oil filter and SS 5w-30, AMSoil coolant

I had A FUN TIME with timing chain slap this year. All I needed was a damn cam phaser. But Joe helped me out with that one. The slap brake guides and stretched the chain. Then, after the new timing set went on, a friend got excited and put the oil pan back on without me and did not set the RTV as per the FSM instructs, nor did he put the bolts in the correct places. Also he forgot a few and neglected to tighten some down. So the car was spewing oil and had scary rattles. I wouldn't drive it. Finally did it ALONE with Three Bond OE RTV following the FSM and all problems were gone. Also used a new Dorman lower oil pan since I bent the shit out of the old one pulling it :47:

Not yet installed:
VQ throttle body
2J adapter for B16 mani
2J catless 3" midpipe
2J street cams on order
STI side skirt pieces (I cut them to fit, waiting on body work and paint to finish)

Up next:
Perfect Power SMT8
Bosch LSU wideband sensor
Innovate digital AFR gauge

20161004_190809[1].jpg
20161008_161510[1].jpg
20161016_112222[1].jpg
20161017_173059[1].jpg
20161012_165841[1].jpg

More updates.

Picked up an IAT probe and LCD display from Matt Figel. I'm not sure if I want to put it in the weapon-r intake tube or just wait to install in the charge pipe.

I got a set of 2J radiator hoses but am considering leaving the bottom outlet on the skunk2 radiator where it is and using a short flex hose instead of welding. I at least want to try the flex hose first over risking the radiator. Decided to go with one 14" spal fan without a shroud because that's how karl's is set up, and one 12" mishimoto slim fan for the condenser.

My axles are shitting out on me. Clicks keep getting louder and louder, even with the RCK. Guess maybe I waited too long to correct the geometry. I'm open to suggestions on where to buy axles.

I got 3 quarts of amsoil 75w-90 mtf for the axle swap. Ready to find out if it feels better than redline mt90.

Been working on my side skirts. I got some wrx spats to make fit pictured below, only one side completed lol. Next up for body mods is a rocket bunny style ducktail, conservative wrx flares (to fit 245's), and stainless rat rod style louvers over the exhaust mani. Then... Maybe some aztec red lol

Been working on life and shit otherwise. I start working for Kelly services/Nissan next month. That's exciting. The build needs more money and I need another car, had no choice but to step up my employment game lol

Shiny wheels
View attachment 107786

Four Bangin'
View attachment 107794

A grille I've been working on for a while now. It cracked so I bent a hanger to fit inside and plastic welded it for some structural rigidity. This will be aluminum mesh and don a '79 Stanza emblem
View attachment 107802

AMSoil everything
View attachment 107810

2J sillycone hoses
View attachment 107818

Shot of the bay
View attachment 107826

Decent shot of the WRX spats
View attachment 107834

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 6/18/17

Paint plans have changed multiple times. As it stands, all body mods I had to do before paint are done and I'm prepping. Hopefully color (smoke gray) happens soon. Probably not rattle can.

Rocketbunny ducktail
20170507_164550.jpg

Recessed tag
20170506_195744.jpg
20170507_174941.jpg

Shaved washer nozzels
20170513_234546.jpg

I grabbed a new intake setup. Vibrant bellmouth and filter, paired with a custom aluminum 3" maf housing with air straightener. Everything was polished inside and topped off with a new Bosch MAF sensor. I have tried the VQ throttle body again for a week with no luck. I gave it relearns every day after work and they would hold until I drove on the interstate to work the next day. Next idea is to try using an early VQ maxima MAF sensor. I've been polishing my stock intake manifold. It's nearly complete. That will probably be in my next update. Here's some pics of this shit

MRP Manufacturing 3" Aluminum MAF housing
20170601_145227.jpg
20170601_150216.jpg

Vibrant 3" Bellmouth and Filter
20170606_154937.jpg
20170608_195229.jpg

Intake Manifold in the works
20170604_183800.jpg
20170604_195115.jpg
20170414_175916.jpg

The cockpit
20170429_192923.jpg
20170429_205754.jpg

3" V3 Side Exit bushing fell out, so I improvised with an ES bushing. If you look at the bend in the exhaust you see a slight glare from the indention rubbing against my gas tank has left. I'll have it shortened when I get one of my resonators welded onto the 3" midpipe
20170412_190454.jpg

Alutec Strut Brace from TDMI with Ti nuts
20170414_183855.jpg

Dirty bay shot
20170618_234938.jpg

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
LoL the Burden Carrier ;) nice.

After reading this, and learning the missing bits of the story, your build makes perfect sense to me. Still wish you'd dipped the car any color but red though for some reason. I think its because it just looks so much like faded Aztec Red. Its not that it looks bad...I just see it and immediately think the paint is faded.

I like the engine cover. But....I forget.....is that devil precat gutted??? I hope so. I forget.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea if it's got catalyst or not. The shield has never come off since I've had it, but the previous owner locked the butterfly valve screws so it's possible. I know the header is the biggest issue, but when I get the money for it, i think since it's not released yet, I can dump money on something else(like suspension.) every time I hear the secondaries open, I'm expecting to hear an awful sound and have immediate loss of power with the oil and smoke. Haven't been over 5500 in a very very long time because I immediately let off from fear haha. But seriously, it bothers me and I'll have a medusa and midpipe from 2J when she's released. i used to beat the shit out of it until I started following forums years ago. 99%, I shift at 2.5k to 3.5k. I don't race in traffic and I cant avoid it, so it really doesn't happen. Not to downplay the importance of it, but i believe if the prev guy took apart the intake manny, probably balsy enough to gut the precat as well... Dammit, Dave. Now I gotta take my header off and find out. Might as well put the ACB on while I'm at it too

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Man....I wouldn't blame you if you wait for the Medusa, but...its a gamble. Not an easy call. There IS a safe/smart call though.

If your screws are locked down, then I wouldn't worry about them anymore. I too kinda do, so I do understand, but its probably not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Barry. That means a lot coming from you. I've been learning so much about the car constantly this year. Boost isn't far off. I'll be using the SMT8 to learn how to tune so if the idle is more than a relearn can cure, I'll just wait until that time to run it. I hope it's simple but usually these things aren't. Won't expect much of a gain, if any, NA. Maybe tuned, but I probably will not make it onto a dyno before the TB is installed and fuel trims are set, realistically. If only dyno time was free lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice build.
That Sarah Frost book is great, and the paper copies are hard to come by. I couldn't find one so went with the ebook.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the VQ TB with no luck. Couldn't get the idle screw to turn. It must have thread locker on it. I'll break it or get the screw to turn stacking nuts on it lol. Tossed on a Hondata gasket. Got an IAT sensor and LCD readout coming in this week from Matt Figel. Waiting for my welder buddy to get back in town to move the lower port to the far side of my Skunk2 Alpha half sized radiator. Finally received a second 03-03 ECU to send to JWT for a reflash. I ran into a problem with my exhaust and rounded off the nuts on the flange lol, so I'm waiting until I get my 3" Stromung to cut it into pieces for removal. I also got in on the Alutec strut brace GB with TDM imports Ti nuts. That should be cool looking. This week I'll be replacing the PCV valve since it's been a while. Nothing really interesting. Pics

That damn throttle body makin me run lean with NO fucks given
20161022_174400[1].jpg

OEM clutch master with dampener delete waiting for rebuild
20161029_163638[1].jpg

Test fit the pods
20161027_174559[1].jpg

Sweet Alpha
20161101_163544[1].jpg

ROUND
20161028_183250[1].jpg

Prothane to replace ES MMI
20161102_165344[1].jpg

Feeler gauges because I got a new valvetrain noise I believe is lash related
20161106_160644[1].jpg

That 03 ECU
20161105_155418[1].jpg

Half assed polished 2J 3" catless midpipe
20161106_185859-1[1].jpg

Hawndatuh
20161111_164002[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Thermal spacer with a plastic plenum :thinking:

Is that proven to actually help with that plenum?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thermal spacer with a plastic plenum :thinking:

Is that proven to actually help with that plenum?
Ionno :47: It's reusable so I can toss it on with the aluminum mani when I get there. Got a buddy that wants to pnp and weld a flange for the VQ TB on it. I figure there's at least some heat transfer to the adapter. Probably negligible. I had fun putting it on though lol

Also @DaveSpecB15 good to see you boosted bro

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Ionno :47: It's reusable so I can toss it on with the aluminum mani when I get there. Got a buddy that wants to pnp and weld a flange for the VQ TB on it. I figure there's at least some heat transfer to the adapter. Probably negligible. I had fun putting it on though lol

Also @DaveSpecB15 good to see you boosted bro
your choice in parts runs right inside my head

wish i could run with a 1/2 rad,
that would make my maintenance so much easier

that's where i started with the vq tb

could not get it to idle

pnp the manifold helps top end
but imo make sure you can swap back to the standard tb
[never got to porting the stock tb]

with welding the adapter on
when we couldn't get the vq tb to work

i lost the use of the ported manifold
[painted myself right into the corner, never thought with uprev, it wouldn't work]

[Joe may still have it?]

how could more insulation hurt?
thickness counts
imo on phenolic gaskets

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More updates.

Picked up an IAT probe and LCD display from Matt Figel. I'm not sure if I want to put it in the weapon-r intake tube or just wait to install in the charge pipe.

I got a set of 2J radiator hoses but am considering leaving the bottom outlet on the skunk2 radiator where it is and using a short flex hose instead of welding. I at least want to try the flex hose first over risking the radiator. Decided to go with one 14" spal fan without a shroud because that's how karl's is set up, and one 12" mishimoto slim fan for the condenser.

My axles are shitting out on me. Clicks keep getting louder and louder, even with the RCK. Guess maybe I waited too long to correct the geometry. I'm open to suggestions on where to buy axles.

I got 3 quarts of amsoil 75w-90 mtf for the axle swap. Ready to find out if it feels better than redline mt90.

Been working on my side skirts. I got some wrx spats to make fit pictured below, only one side completed lol. Next up for body mods is a rocket bunny style ducktail, conservative wrx flares (to fit 245's), and stainless rat rod style louvers over the exhaust mani. Then... Maybe some aztec red lol

Been working on life and shit otherwise. I start working for Kelly services/Nissan next month. That's exciting. The build needs more money and I need another car, had no choice but to step up my employment game lol

Shiny wheels
20161204_165009[1].jpg

Four Bangin'
20161204_000434[1].jpg

A grille I've been working on for a while now. It cracked so I bent a hanger to fit inside and plastic welded it for some structural rigidity. This will be aluminum mesh and don a '79 Stanza emblem
20161203_191158[1].jpg

AMSoil everything
20161202_164748[1].jpg

2J sillycone hoses
20161130_163149[1].jpg

Shot of the bay
20161126_201745[1].jpg

Decent shot of the WRX spats
20161120_112710[1].jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on original post. I'm still alive and hard at it. Most of the stuff I'm working on is long-term so not really much to show yet. That clicking is not my axles. It is more likely my throw out bearing, and I do not want to tear the trans off before I have a clutch setup to toss in. Got every seal and bearing for the job if it does shit out on me in the mean time. Fingers crossed it lasts lol. Didn't move to Nissan, got the promotion I wanted instead. Skunk2 radiator does the trick. Got a heat spike once in Wendy's drive thru but it hasn't done it since and it's been way hotter weather. Went with a 12" SPAL fan for the radiator, which doesn't line up with the holes on the Mishimoto shroud, so that still has the 12" mishi fan on it. Need a 10" fan for the condenser as a result of radiator placement. It had to be closer to center to make room for the lower port. No big deal. I've purchased a used head to pnp and build. That's a learning experience in itself. Pretty sure I won't be boosting this stock bottom now with its 185k and climbing odometer. She'll be boosted after I get a second car. Thanks for the interest, guys

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
good to hear from you

good luck on the throw out bearing
ported intake and head should help

i constantly had trouble over heating
so i redid the whole fan system

just went to the spal fans myself
and restored much of the mechanical parts

moved them to the front and used the largest spal fans that would fit
dropped the shroud