A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
39,043 Posts
Damn, forgot about this from back in the day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This might be the slowest build ever... but it's picking up again slowly.

Just picked up the transfer case gears, 6.5:1 which will slow down rotation by 187% in low range and 20% in high range. Coupled with the 5.29 gears in the Toyota axle's being used, this thing will be a slug :)

Yesterday I dropped the t-case and began to pull it apart (more pics to come soon). Now that it's disassembled we have to press out the old gears and press on the new ones, should be easy if I can remember how it all goes back together.

And here is how it sits as of now:

Lol you shoulda just bought a Samurai floor pan and hood cuz thats about all thats left. Kick ass build though makes me miss my 89 Geo Tracker i had.

·
39,043 Posts
:woohoo:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Very nice my dad had an 87 runner built for crawling. He had swapped the ifs for straight axle had put in low gears so it could drive by itself over rocks and stuffbb super flex and he caged the exterior and scrapped most of the body since he rolled it a few times. I loved that truck one day I'll get one. He invested thousands of dollars and hours on it only to sell it for 5k it made me mad

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I would love to run a TDI, but that's a couple grand I don't have ATM. Right now there is a 5.6 Vortec or a 3.4 Toyota 3rz I'm looking at.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, a little progress with this project.

First thing's first: the 40" tires seen above were taken off and replaced with the 37" MTR's that the truck will run for the foreseeable future. We also added some 1.5" spacers up front, which along with the increased backspacing from the wheels gives the Sami and nice wide stance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695049.608974.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695061.073617.jpg

With no steering or running motor, a forklift helps out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695114.357772.jpg

Started to tear apart the wiring harness and get rid of all the crap that won't be needed. Turn signals, headlights/taillights, horn, radio, wipers, etc. wiring can all go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695205.625496.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695223.041732.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695236.158076.jpg

Here is what I managed to remove in an hour or two of work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695268.357535.jpg

Not much, I know, but the engine bay harness is pretty much done. Just have to take care of interior wiring and wiring that goes to the rear of the truck.

Also took the time to wire up my push button start. The accessories are wired to the switch so the truck can still turn over (but not fire) if you get stuck on the trail and need to bump start to creep forward.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695403.308094.jpg

The motor turns over like a champ after sitting for almost 3 years. My only issue now is that I cannot get spark :( new coil didn't fix the issue either.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372695455.175238.jpg

This was an issue before the wiring escapade, so I don't believe that to be the issue. The wiring from the coil to the distributor looks good, the only issue I could see might be ECU related... Gonna have to bust out the multimeter and check first though.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here's the wiring diagram if anyone wants to help :troll:

Probably the simplest wiring diagram I have ever seen...

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
What have you done as far as diag?
Well, I checked all the wiring and visually it all goes where it's supposed to. Need to check continuity for those lines though. The coil should be getting power (I hear a "click" when switching on accessories). Coil is brand new, but I can't get it to arc by pulling it out of the distributor and turning the motor over. That's really all I've done. Could be the ECU possibly.

Rockauto has some parts that I can't find on the diagram, the ignition control module (not the ECU I guess?) and the ignition breaker points

*Edit* just found both those parts are within the distributor, but would they keep the coil from firing when not connected?

Rotor, cap, wires are about 3 years old.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This thing is freaking awesome man!!! I wish I had a dedicated crawler like this...I've been building up my xterra over the last year though...that thing is fun to wheel although I can't get too crazy with it..

Heres a couple pics of my rig:

Sorry to threadjack =)

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
New ECM is here, just have to install and pray it solves my starting issues. Hydraulic steering components to be ordered shortly. Also have to figure out a reliable fuel pump setup for the cell.

Made a little gif of my wiring modifications, much simpler now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
YOu may not need all of the power, but the LS engines were designed for 100% duty cycle. They are used in planes, boats, and all other kinds of machines.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
YOu may not need all of the power, but the LS engines were designed for 100% duty cycle. They are used in planes, boats, and all other kinds of machines.
An LS would be nice, but not within my budget at this time. I will see how the tiny 1.3 works with the 6.5:1 T-case gears, as well as the 5.29's in the toyota axles. My friend is swapping an LM7 into his 4runner so I will likely take his existing 2.7L 3RZ motor which should be more than enough power.

On another note, I'm picking up a new front axles from a friend for a steal. Diamond axle with FJ80 center, 30 spline Bobby Long chromoly birfields, Sky high steer kit, and ARP hub and knuckle studs.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts