A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about this?
What kind of software would you need to tune it?
Would it even be compatible sine 07+ qr25's are DI?

I've been brainstorming the final build of my car for a while which is still years away, and it seems to me the most cost effective option would be a modern stock ecu with better software. I plan to source an engine from a newer altima anyway to build a boosted version but I want to run e85 on a new pump and lines with custom wiring on my stock qr25 and run that till it blows while I build the other one.

So if anyo e has any insight on this i'd love to hear from you!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
I have no idea why you'd do that :thinking:

I can't see any possible way that is less hard or less expensive than an 06 swap.
Or any better than 06 swap.

Just 06 swap.
Or go standalone.
IMO

Unless you're contemplating swapping in a Gen2 QR
And even still you wouldn't need to go 07+ ECU
There's a company working on a Gen2 swap kit.
Nissformance I think its called and might be misspelling.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
You are new here.
So maybe you just aren't knowledgeable on the difference of different year B15 ECUs

Basically.....
You dont want 02-03 because you can't use UpRev.
04-06 you can use Uprev
06 cars had a factory wideband so they're easier and better to tune than 04-05.
04-05 is fine and adequate. Just 06 is better.

There's no reason I am aware of to run 07+. Sounds like an unnecessary pain in the ass.

If you want something better than UpRev and better than 06 with UpRev....
Go standalone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok that's some of the kind of info I was looking for thank you!

I'm only just starting to get into more serious modifying and i've been working on a long term plan sine I got it a year ago.

Obviously i'd prefer to go standalone.

I'm looking to replace almost all of the electronics soon, do you know if anything like the ignition will freak out if I change it from OEM switches?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the main reason is there are few salvage and junkyard sentra's around me, while 07+ altima's are a dime a dozen.
The engine ecu and harness would cost me like 600 in that case. Which would then allow me to use thebottom end with the better internals and I would have about everything I need to make a harness and swap.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Ok that's some of the kind of info I was looking for thank you!

I'm only just starting to get into more serious modifying and i've been working on a long term plan sine I got it a year ago.

Obviously i'd prefer to go standalone.

I'm looking to replace almost all of the electronics soon, do you know if anything like the ignition will freak out if I change it from OEM switches?

May I ask why you're wanting replace everything? Is there a reason you feel you need to? Some specific features you desire?
(Other than obviously you can't do jack with your 02 ECU other than a piggyback to adjust fuel)

If your car has NATS you have to use the key.
If it's NATS there's a chip in your key. And a red blinking light on top of your dash near the windshield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is NATS, and that makes sense.

And theres a few reasons.

I'm going back to school for automotive anyway so the more I can learn the better.

I have the classic bad dimmer switch so my dash lights don't work, I plan on building it into basically a forever car. A Weekend rallyer/DD/ And roadtripper.

Towards this end I want to replace as manny nissan parts, namely switch's and such with switch's I can get from the hardware store.

I have many of the wiring diagrams and about half the pieces i'll need for a custom fuse/relay box which will allow me to wire in only the accessories I want and know how they're hooked up.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
And the main reason is there are few salvage and junkyard sentra's around me, while 07+ altima's are a dime a dozen.
The engine ecu and harness would cost me like 600 in that case. Which would then allow me to use thebottom end with the better internals and I would have about everything I need to make a harness and swap.

I could be mistaken.
But to the best of my recollection an 07 Altima bottom end is no improvement over what you already have.

An Altima crank is no better. Pistons and rods might be a little better. Think compression is the same if you don't use the b16 head....I think.

Like said before. A lot of trouble for nothing

It's the B16 Spec V crankshaft that's the one you want.

You can swap the newer plenum onto your current engine with an adapter kit.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
It is NATS, and that makes sense.

And theres a few reasons.

I'm going back to school for automotive anyway so the more I can learn the better.

I have the classic bad dimmer switch so my dash lights don't work, I plan on building it into basically a forever car. A Weekend rallyer/DD/ And roadtripper.

Towards this end I want to replace as manny nissan parts, namely switch's and such with switch's I can get from the hardware store.

I have many of the wiring diagrams and about half the pieces i'll need for a custom fuse/relay box which will allow me to wire in only the accessories I want and know how they're hooked up.

Nissan switches are a dime a dozen and probably better than hardware store switches.

Go to the junkyard. All the switches are used on all kinds of Nissans. For instance a door switch panel may be different, but the switches would be the same.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
PS: you can download the FSM (factory service manual)

Then you have all the diagrams.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nissan switches are a dime a dozen and probably better than hardware store switches.

Go to the junkyard. All the switches are used on all kinds of Nissans. For instance a door switch panel may be different, but the switches would be the same.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_QR_engine

From what i've read here and a few other unsourcable places is that it has less friction and better connecting rods which would make it better suited to a high revving e85 application. Although I would have to use the older head because +07 is direct injection.

I'm not sure of course but this is what i've found in my current research.

And the main difference for the switches is that stores that carry universal switches are open 24/7 sometimes. Where junkyards and specific parts are very limited.

Not to mention I just want to try my hand at wiring a dash and accesories anyway.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_QR_engine

From what i've read here and a few other unsourcable places is that it has less friction and better connecting rods which would make it better suited to a high revving e85 application. Although I would have to use the older head because +07 is direct injection.

I'm not sure of course but this is what i've found in my current research.

And the main difference for the switches is that stores that carry universal switches are open 24/7 sometimes. Where junkyards and specific parts are very limited.

Not to mention I just want to try my hand at wiring a dash and accesories anyway.

The timing cover is different on Gen2 QRs

Might only be different in the area of the head.

@CrickiKaze please inform

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
You aren't going to rev any QR very high man.

The stroke is too long to rev very high.

Even just to try and run over 7k you should upgrade the oil pump.

And you need valve springs to be trying to rev 7k or more

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Just as an FYI until Cricki hops on here with some for sure knowledge on the subject (he has a thread on the forum on this subject)

I dont think you can make a hybrid QR by swapping blocks or swapping heads. Because of the timing covers. Because the engines are actually quite different.

The only way to do it is to swap the internals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You aren't going to rev any QR very high man.

The stroke is too long to rev very high.

Even just to try and run over 7k you should upgrade the oil pump.

And you need valve springs to be trying to rev 7k or more
Yeah I was already aware of the springs, although the pump is news. Makes sense though. Good things to consider, thanks for the tips! I'm sure i'll be here regularly.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Basically if you want Gen2 internals you have to put them inside a Gen1 block.

There's only a couple B15s with Gen2 engines in them in existence. But plenty with Gen2 internals.

But like I said before. Nissformance is working on a swap kit. It's a tricky swap.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Gen2 is a completely different engine on the outside

You maybe could make some stuff work.
But I know there's problems with other stuff

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,078 Posts
The timing cover is different on Gen2 QRs

Might only be different in the area of the head.

@CrickiKaze please inform

Just as an FYI until Cricki hops on here with some for sure knowledge on the subject (he has a thread on the forum on this subject)

I dont think you can make a hybrid QR by swapping blocks or swapping heads. Because of the timing covers. Because the engines are actually quite different.

The only way to do it is to swap the internals.
All responds are from memory so 4 years + so I will answer them to the best of my ability.

There are internal differences as well that include the timing cover between 1st and 2nd gens and differences between 2nd gens as well that I have researched but not physically verified i.e. motor in front of me, I can only get so much info from FSM and parts fiches. The infamous JA0 block is one of these partial information gaps since a long gone member said that a JA0 block will work with a b15 oil pan but never provided info/pics for me to look at but at the same time there are supposedly 3 different JA0 blocks...

I can tell you that the b16 qr oil pan will not 100% bolt to a b15 qr block due to 2-4 bolt holes not lining up, oil pan and timing covers go hand in hand which also coincides with BS and oil pick up.

I will be tearing apart a 2nd gen Altima JA0 qr soon with the plans of only grabbing the bare short block from a junk yard so I will be getting some info from that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts