A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 4 days ago my 04 Nissan Sentra 1.8s, was running usually, but the next day I drove it and I started to hear a rattling noise coming from my back rear I thought I was something in my trunk rolling around so I didn’t take notice till I moved everything around and still was happening so I took a look and found this.(bottom)

I took it 2 different shops to see if they can give me a quote or even find a solution, it was already loud before it rusted off which I loved, but now I realized it is just gonna money problem, The 1st shop the guy said he could just probably weld it back on but they had 20 cars in front of me, plus I really didn’t want a weld because the muffler pipe rusted off inside the exhaust pipe, so I went to the 2nd shop and they said I might have to replace my whole Exhaust pipe and Cadillac converter!!! Which I was not okay with, because I did some research and on an old car like this it would be over 1,000$. But I told the guys that it was just my Flange and my muffler pipe so he gave me a quote for about 254$ for a muffler and maybe like 6 bucks for the Flange. Any advice? I’m young and don’t know a lot about cars but I’d loved to learn. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The cheapest option is just to have the first shop weld the muffler back on. Most likely they will just cut off the flange and weld the two pipes together. The second option is to buy a replacement muffler and gasket and just bolt the new one up your self or have a shop do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cheapest option is just to have the first shop weld the muffler back on. Most likely they will just cut off the flange and weld the two pipes together. The second option is to buy a replacement muffler and gasket and just bolt the new one up your self or have a shop do it.
Would the new weld make the Exhaust and muffler stable without the flange?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
yes the weld would keep it stable. The flange just allows for easier install, since most people don’t know how to weld, and requires gasket that can fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the weld would keep it stable. The flange just allows for easier install, since most people don’t know how to weld, and requires gasket that can fail.
Awesome, if I was looking for a new muffler, would it be best if I bought it myself and took the new muffler up to the 2nd shop and have them install?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Its literallly 2 bolts and a gasket. Replace the muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts