A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the muffler heat shield is loose and rattles since the bolts came off. I bought new bolts but they won’t screw on because the screws are all rusted and worn down. The screws look like a nail since the threads are gone.

Can I replace the crews from inside the vehicle? How can I fix this myself?

·
Administrator
6,922 Posts
They are welded to the shield, options are pull the shield and replace it, have a welder swap it or you remove it and do a regular boot and washer.... or just remove it all together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I fasten the heat shield to the muffler with stainless steel hose clamps?

I know it will get rid of the rattling but is it ok if the heat shield is fastened to the muffler?

·
Administrator
6,922 Posts
not a good idea, the muffler moves as well and there will be a different noise.

Another option could be remove the stud a rivet the shields together in that one spot.

Reactions: Richardw72

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition
182 Posts
I used the metal hose clamps to fasten the heat shield to the muffler and it worked, no more rattling.
Awesome. Glad you fixed it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
not a good idea, the muffler moves as well and there will be a different noise.

Another option could be remove the stud a rivet the shields together in that one spot.
He said F U and did it anyways lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
He said F U and did it anyways lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
sometimes it be like that. But most of the time i just do it anyways i regret it

·
Registered
645 Posts
You have tied the heat shield to the muffler so it is now in direct contact with the heat source being at the same temperature as the muffler and will radiate the same heat to any component it was meant to protect.
A heat shield is supposed to have a gap between itself and the heat source so that the air gap is an insulating medium which stops most of the heat being transferred to any protected component. By taking that air gap away the heat shield now radiates the same heat the unprotected muffler would.

Basic thermodynamics.

So using metal hose clamps will stop the rattling but not effect the same protection from the muffler heat and is really doing nothing at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have tied the heat shield to the muffler so it is now in direct contact with the heat source being at the same temperature as the muffler and will radiate the same heat to any component it was meant to protect.
A heat shield is supposed to have a gap between itself and the heat source so that the air gap is an insulating medium which stops most of the heat being transferred to any protected component. By taking that air gap away the heat shield now radiates the same heat the unprotected muffler would.

Basic thermodynamics.

So using metal hose clamps will stop the rattling but not effect the same protection from the muffler heat and is really doing nothing at all.
sounds to me youd be better off ripping it off at that point. Or just fixing it properly. But hey he want no noise, noise gone problem solved

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
04 spec v
108 Posts
Me to Richard, something I never thought about really. I would have just cut it off, but in my case it would have probably been rusted to shizit to begin with. If it was salvageable you could always cut some metal banding strips and shoot some self tappers in the shield

1 - 14 of 14 Posts