A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to prefix everything by saying I know close to nothing about cars other than when I have to fix something, then I go find out how to fix it and learn the hard way.

On that note, when I am at a full stop the car begins to shake and sounds like its misfiring. My SES light begins to flash on and off (which my SES light is always on since I changed my header but it never flashes) and then it seems like I have no power from 1000 to 3000 rpms. I took it to a Tires Plus near my house and they told me I had to change my ECU ($750) and change out my platinum plugs and ignition coils (another $750). Needless to say I thought that was a little too much money.

My question is whether or not changing the ignition coils is something that a regular joe (like my self) can do no problem? And, also, does my ECU really need to get replaced?

Any opinion will be helpful, thank you.

Car: 2004 Spec-V

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd pull the plugs and look for water in the cylinders myself before I let anyone tell me I needed an ECU. Had the same problem with my se-r, turned out to be a blown headgasket. Did it in my own driveway over a couple days. There are some write-ups on here on how to do it if you're somewhat car-savvy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I want to prefix everything by saying I know close to nothing about cars other than when I have to fix something, then I go find out how to fix it and learn the hard way.

On that note, when I am at a full stop the car begins to shake and sounds like its misfiring. My SES light begins to flash on and off (which my SES light is always on since I changed my header but it never flashes) and then it seems like I have no power from 1000 to 3000 rpms. I took it to a Tires Plus near my house and they told me I had to change my ECU ($750) and change out my platinum plugs and ignition coils (another $750). Needless to say I thought that was a little too much money.

My question is whether or not changing the ignition coils is something that a regular joe (like my self) can do no problem? And, also, does my ECU really need to get replaced?

Any opinion will be helpful, thank you.

Car: 2004 Spec-V
It's problably a blown headgasket. Check your radiator if it's missing coolant, also check the exhaust for coolant residue. Also it may just be a bad coil pack so turn the car on and once it starts misfiring disconnect a coil pack one by one and if the misfiring gets worse then that coil pack works but if you get to one that doesn't do anything then thats the one that's damaged. But keep an eye on your coolant...I'm pretty sure you have a blown headgasket.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
im not sure if i would trust the guys at a tire place to diagnose my machine. anyways, the ecu can be tested if its defective, they are known to fail, but may not necessarily be your problem. i would def start by pulling your codes and fouling out your o2 sensor on your header.

if you ses light is flashing, something is def wrong, go pull your codes or do the pedal dance.

anything from tune-up, cam&crank sensors, bad coilpack, bad tps, etc could all cause symptoms like this, which is why you need to pull the codes that you received. and for the record, yes, most of this stuff you can do youself. this forum is filled with write-up and how-to material for the diy person or self-mechanic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUCCESS!!

So today I checked my ignition coils and it was #3 that was bad. I bought one at Advance Autoparts and wala! Normal car again. Feels so good. Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts