A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
39,045 Posts
Welcome and not bad.

At a glance, I thought your name was Yellow Yogi.....lol

What mods, if any, have you done to it?

Also, I hope you know about the pre cat and butter fly issues these cars have and that you have resolve them.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Koni Yellow struts with Ground Control springs, and Bridgestone Potenza tires. Precat and butterfly?
Welcome to the site...
Search the forum for pre-cat and butterflies. You'll find the answer.
If you already have an aftermarket header, then the pre-cat issue is solved!

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

·
39,045 Posts
Not a bad start.

Yes, the B15 engine, the QR25DE, is known to destroy itself because of the catalytic converter in the header. It breaks apart and the particles get into the cylinders, gouging them.

The butterfly screws hold the 'flaps' in the intake manifold which opens are the higher rpms, 4500 or some where around there.
The screws come loose and fall into the engine. I don't have to explain the rest.

Use the search bar on the site and read up on those issues are they can severely damage your engine.

·
39,045 Posts
I see.. My engine does have and oil consumption issue..
You need to get that check.

This is a long shot, but did you do the Nissan recall for these issues?
You can go to the dealership and they will tell you if your vin is within the range where they MIGHT be able to help you.

They most likely will lower the afr of the car because it usually runs rich, which is main cause of the catalytic converter breaking apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to get that check.

This is a long shot, but did you do the Nissan recall for these issues?
You can go to the dealership and they will tell you if your vin is within the range where they MIGHT be able to help you.

They most likely will lower the afr of the car because it usually runs rich, which is main cause of the catalytic converter breaking apart.
AH I figured out how to reply the right way. lol I have only had my car for a little less than two years. Been racing both years. Its been checked out and I have never had a problem with it. Well I did have to replace the ECM. I've been meaning to take it in to Lithia Nissan to get it checked up and have the fluids changed. I will have them check out the pre-cat and the butterfly screws. I believe my AFR was checked when I got my new ECM. It went bad right after I bought it so they went ahead and found one and installed it.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
AH I figured out how to reply the right way. lol I have only had my car for a little less than two years. Been racing both years. Its been checked out and I have never had a problem with it. Well I did have to replace the ECM. I've been meaning to take it in to Lithia Nissan to get it checked up and have the fluids changed. I will have them check out the pre-cat and the butterfly screws. I believe my AFR was checked when I got my new ECM. It went bad right after I bought it so they went ahead and found one and installed it.
best practice is just get rid of the factory cat, even with the recall, it can break up, if it hasnt already, and eat the engine from the inside out, plus, you'll have peace of mind on it, knowing you have a decent header on there! It will be louder, tho

·
39,045 Posts
Please don't go to the dealership to check anything if they are charging you because the price will be enormous....

Ask them if your car has any recalls and give them your vin then wait and see what they say.

Also, do what Shanover said concerning the stock header. GET RID OF IT if it has the catalytic converter in it.

The cheapest thing to do is gut it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please don't go to the dealership to check anything if they are charging you because the price will be enormous....

Ask them if your car has any recalls and give them your vin then wait and see what they say.

Also, do what Shanover said concerning the stock header. GET RID OF IT if it has the catalytic converter in it.

The cheapest thing to do is gut it.
I suppose deep inside I just wanted to service everything myself. I mean it is halfway done. What about the check engine light after I gut the insides? I've been saving manifold and intake/exhaust work for when I go turbo. What have you guys been using for antifreeze? I'll have them check the VIN code.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I suppose deep inside I just wanted to service everything myself. I mean it is halfway done. What about the check engine light after I gut the insides? I've been saving manifold and intake/exhaust work for when I go turbo. What have you guys been using for antifreeze? I'll have them check the VIN code.
wont help if your engine is toast before turbo... for the engine codes, they sell spacers for the rearwards O2 sensor that will get rid of the code, or, I see you have an 04-06 sentra, Uprev can get rid of the CEL for you, when you get it tuned for turbo. on the intake manifold, locktite those butterflys, you will be keeping them, and you dont want them to come loose. as far as antifreeze, well, any name brand will be good, but be sure to check track rules, a lot of tracks want you to ONLY run water, with water wetter added.

·
39,045 Posts
Also, another thing to remember is that this site has almost ALL the answers for many of your B15 questions. So if you want to know more stuff about your car and how to resolve some issues, take a few minutes and search the site.
The information here is almost priceless.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Welcome

First silver car with green wheels I've seen. Been several black cars with that color. Couple here in TN

What year is your car. Still looks nice. If it's 2006 your screws are probably fine, but I wouldn't discourage still loctiting them.

Definitely get rid of the stock exhaust manifold. If it's not too late, eventually it will be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome

First silver car with green wheels I've seen. Been several black cars with that color. Couple here in TN

What year is your car. Still looks nice. If it's 2006 your screws are probably fine, but I wouldn't discourage still loctiting them.

Definitely get rid of the stock exhaust manifold. If it's not too late, eventually it will be.
Thanks. Already working on a new header. I'll check on the screws in due time.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts