A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
that said, most of us will never abuse our brakes enough for any of the previous issues to manifest, some hard core auto x'ers maybe, or track only vehicles will 'bend those rotors to their will', but most street driven cars rarely generate enough heat in the brakes to warp rotors, unless someone gets stupid during the pad bedding process.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I don't think he and I are disagreeing. What he posted said what I said. I didn't Google anything.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
that said, most of us will never abuse our brakes enough for any of the previous issues to manifest, some hard core auto x'ers maybe, or track only vehicles will 'bend those rotors to their will', but most street driven cars rarely generate enough heat in the brakes to warp rotors, unless someone gets stupid during the pad bedding process.
Like I said. I've never had any trouble with knockback.

The rotors on my super heavy truck, and sometimes my giant vans, but never my cars.

If I was ripping around road courses I would definitely feel floated rotors were worth an extra $100.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
exactly, such would be considered very harsh usage, and would benefit from them, including all of the required parts replacements. floating rotors are very effective, in their design and purpose, but MOST 'Because Race Car' drivers, cruising the boulevard in their hot rods, will never get to the point to where the extra cost is beneficial. while they are cool to have on a list of mods, for most people that would be about all it would be, something else to tack onto that list.

gotta figure, 98% of the cars on the road today, run the 'totally inadequate, outdated, bare minimum' brakes so long, they will wear the rotors completely out, and bitch when a shop says they need new ones.

people that track their car hard, like 2002 will have issues with warpage long before most hopped up sentra owners will. weather on stockers, brembos, wilwoods, ksports, floating rotors, solids, replaceable rotors with hats, etc.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
LoL....my Titan has 12.6" rotors.....but that bitch weighs 5,000 pounds :lmao:

I honestly thought they were bigger than that. They're big. I remember looking at them wishing we could put them on Sentras :lmao:
The calipers are gigantic.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
LoL....my Titan has 12.6" rotors.....but that bitch weighs 5,000 pounds :lmao:

I honestly thought they were bigger than that. They're big. I remember looking at them wishing we could put them on Sentras :lmao:
The calipers are gigantic.
they are also stopping several thousand pounds more (towing weight included) than the sentra brakes. wider, larger, thicker, for heat dissipation more than anything else, stopping a heavy load creates a lot of heat. All in all, a b15 is actually a fairly light weight car, from the factory, stock mustangs are at least a grand more in the pounds dept.

Basically, ANY brake upgrade is good, but the caveat, keep in mind, the more power you send to the front brakes, the earlier they lock up before the rears. In an ideal world, everyone would have an adjustable brake bias in their car. the make them, but most of them are relegated to track only cars

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
@yellowyoshi
On the topic of brakes and heat...

Since you are getting performance pads....

Research what pads to get. Some will work better for you than others. Pads can be very application specific.

A great road course pad is a terrible autocross pad.

Different pads work best in different heat ranges.

For daily driving and autocross you need your brakes to be effective when they are still cold. A hardcore road course pad may not even reach ideal heat range by the end of an autocross lap.

I'm not saying don't get performance pads. I'm just saying research what you buy so you know what you're actually buying ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
@yellowyoshi
On the topic of brakes and heat...

Since you are getting performance pads....

Research what pads to get. Some will work better for you than others. Pads can be very application specific.

A great road course pad is a terrible autocross pad.

Different pads work best in different heat ranges.

For daily driving and autocross you need your brakes to be effective when they are still cold. A hardcore road course pad may not even reach ideal heat range by the end of an autocross lap.

I'm not saying don't get performance pads. I'm just saying research what you buy so you know what you're actually buying ;)
this ^^^
if you are daily driving, you may need your brakes the most when they are cold, you dont get a warm up lap for the drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thanks. I didn’t think about cold rotors. Well.. I’ll do more research on the pads.. try to get them as RX8 pads.. I think I’ll try really hard to get brembo calipers for the front keep the rear stock. Get bigger rotors also. Ss lines. Ate super blue. Maybe I’ll get road pads and race pads.. am I missing anything?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Thanks. I didn’t think about cold Pads. Well.. I’ll do more research on the pads.. try to get them as RX8 pads.. I think I’ll try really hard to get brembo calipers for the front keep the rear stock. Get bigger rotors also. Ss lines. Ate super blue. Maybe I’ll get road pads and race pads.. am I missing anything?
RX8 pads are for stock Non Brembo fronts.

Bigger rotors is for the rear and with Brembo Option Brackets.

Street pads are likely fine autocross pads. I didn't have any trouble with street pads, but not to say other pads couldn't have done better. Just watch out for pads that are intended for track use that require a lot of warm up to be effective.

If you find some Brembo calipers then yeah you need to make sure to get the correct rotors, which are larger.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
AH thank you Dave for that last peice! Very straight forward info. I’ll think on this and let you guys know what’s up. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Is there a point to get bigger rear rotors? Especially if I’m using the same calipers and same sized pads
from my point of view yes

this is just my guess of the physics involved

the larger rear rotors can exert [with good tires] enough force to load the front end
allowing better turn in ability [under braking]

also weird words, sorry.
but my car seem to " hunker down", was more stable, in "turn in" under braking
and stopped quicker

Joe, curious why with the smaller front rotors, it stopped so well.
he couldn't honestly sell me the 6 puck calipers,
gave the credit to the larger rear rotors

and honestly there is little difference with the 12.2" front rotors

btw
i used the parking brake adjuster to modulate the rear brakes

adjusted to the point the front wheels locked up 1st,
just barely

At AMP my instructor and the staff, hated my car
but loved these brakes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Dave can you tell me more about these rear brackets that support bigger rotors? Do I keep the stock calipers for rear and just mount them differently to have bigger rotors?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Dave can you tell me more about these rear brackets that support bigger rotors? Do I keep the stock calipers for rear and just mount them differently to have bigger rotors?
Yes.

The Brembo option cars had larger rear rotors.
They accomplished this by only changing the caliper bracket.

So you just need to get the Brembo option caliper brackets and the Brembo option rotors for the rear. Obviously you should probably also get fresh pads, but they're the same pads. Same exact caliper, just different caliper bracket.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I just realized I think I told you something wrong.

I think the RX8 pad trick was for rear calipers. I said it was front. But now I think it was rear. (If it was the rear I wouldn't bother....don't think I have rx8 pads on the rear of my car:thinking:. Been a minute since I did the swap)

@2002blackspec_v can you clarify for me so I don't give bad information?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
@yellowyoshi also I forgot to mention to do the rear swap you need to trim the brake dust shield so it clears the larger rotor. No big deal obviously. Just forgot to mention that.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
@yellowyoshi
You should actually go to the parts store to find the swap parts.
Make sure to cross reference part numbers to confirm what you get. You want parts that Are NOT listed for 02-03. Brembo e as not an option in those years.

It is a complete motherfucker to confirm parts online. I can't find anywhere that will let you select Brembo option or Base. You just have to weed through crap.

You may not be able to find just the brackets. If so....the calipers with brackets aren't actually all that expensive. You jist need to make sure to get the correct ones.

I searched Autozone, Advance, Orileys, and Rock Auto
And I could only find mention of Brembo on ONE set of calipers. I don't point this out because they are hard to find. I point this out because they are not usually properly listed ine way or the other. This is why people often just accidentally end up with Brembo option rear calipers when they order new ones.

These are the Only ones that actually mention Brembo that I found.
Screenshot_2017-12-29-00-38-47.jpg

But if you look here. You can see these are different sets. One would be Base Model and the other Brembo Option. But it doesn't say which is which. You'd assume the Spec V listed ones are the Brembo Option, but it doesn't say that and who knows :dunno:. Only Spec V had a Brembo option, but not all Spec V are actually Brembo option cars. But anyway you can see there are slightly different part numbers on these 2 different sets of rear calipers. One set is listed Spec V and the other set is listed SE-R and lower trim
If you really look close amd compare the pictures you can tell the brackets are different between these 2 sets. It looks like the Spec V listed ones would raise the caliper higher which would mean they would be Brembo Option. But you need to be sure what you're ordering so I would actually go to a parts store.
I assume the 626A & 627A are Brembo and the 626B & 627B are Base but I cannot be sure.
Screenshot_2017-12-29-00-36-35.jpg Screenshot_2017-12-29-00-36-41.jpg

This is why you need to go to the parts store.
They should have more details on their computer and be able to help insure you get Brembo Option parts.

And like I mentioned. 2002 and 2003 did NOT have Brembo. So you should be able to cross reference #s and if a part is listed for 04,05,06 but Not 02,03 then it "should" be the Brembo option part.

You might be able to find just the brackets. If not, the calipers with brackets can be gotten pretty cheap. And it isn't gonna hurt to have spare calipers around. You'd eventually need them.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
See Rock auto has this bracket.
But it doesn't say which bracket it is.

If I compared to my previous post I would guess it's Brembo. But there's no way to tell for sure. It's listed as for either Left or Right.

Screenshot_2017-12-29-01-04-56.jpg

The only other brackets in Rock Auto are these. They are also Cardones. And they are listed SEPARATELY as Left and Right but if you look at the description they're actually both the Same part number. Also look completely freaking different from the picture I posted above.
Screenshot_2017-12-29-01-12-30.jpg

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
@yellowyoshi I think I figured it out!

So....I just looked up 2002 instead of 2004

For 2002 (when Brembo is NOT an option)
This is the results listed for brackets.
So NONE OF THESE should be Brembo
Screenshot_2017-12-29-01-16-50.jpg

So......that SHOULD MEAN....
If you compare part numbers....
That THIS ONE "Should Be" Brembo
Because it came up when I searched 04 but not when I searched 02
Screenshot_2017-12-29-01-04-56.jpg

I still recommend you go to the parts store. But.....

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Also if you compare the pictures of 141536 and 141546 you can see that 141536 would raise the caliper

121 - 140 of 172 Posts