A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, got started on it today, and figured I'd post it up here as I go along. Parts used are grille mesh material from amazon, angle brackets and push pins or fender washers, havent decided yet, and a type of door edge guard material that is more flexible and has a glued layer inside of it.

BDSO template material! I removed my current grille, and after taping the template to the bumper, reached behind it and traced with a sharpie on the back side, cut the template somewhat large (1/4 inch) to let me trim until it fits
20160429_092307_resized.jpg

take your time here, trim a little, check the fit, trim a little more, remember, its easier to trim a little at a time, than it is to tape a piece back on and start over
20160429_093618_resized.jpg

when you are satisfied with the fit, you will be transferring the template to the mesh, I wanted a center hole to be used for a mount point, so I folded the template in half, and used the half fold line to line up with a hole in the mesh. lay it out evenly, so you dont have a slanted pattern, if you use a mesh like mine NOTE! I left about an inch of mesh material above the template, lower the hood slowly and see where you may need to trim to let the hood close without bending the mesh!
20160429_094048_resized.jpg

Trim and check, trim and check, take your time, trim and check again, I introduced a bend in the mesh to match the curve of the grille at this point, to make it easier to check, the aluminum is easy to bend, so take your time and be careful. I put tape around the grille opening to protect from scratches from the raw edges of the mesh.
20160429_095649_resized.jpg

Finally removed the template, and again we are at the trim and check stage, I probably took an hour for the final fit at this point, and I still need to trim a bit once I get to putting the moulding on.
20160429_095720_resized.jpg

after trimming a straight line across the top of the mesh, I left it a little high for the final fit and trim once its mounted. NOTE! I left about an inch of mesh material above the template, lower the hood slowly and see where you may need to trim to let the hood close without bending the mesh!
20160429_100807_resized.jpg

To be continued...

Continuing...
found my moulding, finally! and proceeded to finish it all up.
grille.jpg

BDSO bracket adjustment tools!
20160429_122200_resized.jpg

Whats not shown: kinda got in a zone and just went to it, I mounted all of the brackets to the grille, then put in place and marked where to drill my bumper cover. Drilled the holes (8mm) to use push connectors in the brackets to the bumper cover. Go slow, measure twice, drill once!! I placed 4 of the brackets on the bottom directly in front of where the stock grille tabs go, and the center one, well, centered. I may add 2 more brackets to the sides at some point, but not today.

Final fit and install.
20160429_125027_resized.jpg

20160429_125058_resized.jpg

20160429_125109_resized.jpg

20160429_125119_resized.jpg

20160429_125132_resized.jpg

20160429_125143_resized.jpg

Yet to do! I did not notice that the center bolt for the grille was slightly higher than the others, will adjust to match, I have plenty of adjustment to use! final trim of the top edge will happen when I get my air diversion panel in, I will use that to make a few upper mounts just to stiffen things up a bit, I also need to move my Nismo badge to the new grille. all in all not a bad half days work! I think it looks pretty damn good! Also, I did have to drill the angle brackets to 8mm to use the push clips with them.

from this:
front end friday.jpg

to this!
20160429_125132_resized.jpg

parts list, for anyone interested:
Grille material
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=custom+car+grille+ccg&rh=n:15684181,k:custom+car+grille+ccg

angle brackets:
http://www.amazon.com/RERIVER-20mmx20mm-Corner-Bracket-Fastener/dp/B018I1XGNA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Push fasteners:
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Push-Retainers-Clips-63848-01G00/dp/B009AE4WOM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

fender dress up bolts:
http://www.amazon.com/Amooca-Password-Aluminum-Fender-Washers/dp/B00OPYZDG8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Nylock nuts:
http://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group-42114-M6-1-00-30-Pack/dp/B00PG8023G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

door edge guard stuff but not quite:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowles-T5602-Black-Edge-Trim/dp/B001EA0LJK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Tools used: tin snips, flush cut snips (designed for circuit board work) sharpie, drill, 8mm (5/16) bit, 10mm wrench, allen key to fit bolts, scissors to cut pattern initially, blue painters tape, a right angle pick to mark holes, and IceHouse beer.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Very nice man. When can we order ours? And what are doin with ur old grill?

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice man. When can we order ours? And what are doin with ur old grill?
dont know yet, I know all the mistakes, and where I messed up, honestly dont know if I want to sell it, its far from professionally done, on the back side. would almost be embarassing for someone else to see it!!! dunno, might sell, I am gonna remove my satin black Nismo from it, and put that on the new grille tho

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Let m3 know lol keep th3 nismo haha

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Nice! So you just left the top exposed to tuck under the hood?

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for now, I have an air diversion panel coming, when it gets here, I will install and trim the exposed part, cover with the moulding, and add a couple mounts to the top, but yeah, I kinda like how it tucks under the hood, the hood release is kind of a bitch to get to tho

·
Registered
8,815 Posts

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
At work so type fast happens alot tho lol

·
39,045 Posts
At work so type fast happens alot tho lol
I'm at work too... So I get that... Have to be like a ninja flash though...
Perfect the art little grasshopper....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, got started on it today, and figured I'd post it up here as I go along. Parts used are grille mesh material from amazon, angle brackets and push pins or fender washers, havent decided yet, and a type of door edge guard material that is more flexible and has a glued layer inside of it.

BDSO template material! I removed my current grille, and after taping the template to the bumper, reached behind it and traced with a sharpie on the back side, cut the template somewhat large (1/4 inch) to let me trim until it fits
View attachment 79585

take your time here, trim a little, check the fit, trim a little more, remember, its easier to trim a little at a time, than it is to tape a piece back on and start over
View attachment 79593

when you are satisfied with the fit, you will be transferring the template to the mesh, I wanted a center hole to be used for a mount point, so I folded the template in half, and used the half fold line to line up with a hole in the mesh. lay it out evenly, so you dont have a slanted pattern, if you use a mesh like mine
View attachment 79601

Trim and check, trim and check, take your time, trim and check again, I introduced a bend in the mesh to match the curve of the grille at this point, to make it easier to check, the aluminum is easy to bend, so take your time and be careful. I put tape around the grille opening to protect from scratches from the raw edges of the mesh.
View attachment 79609

Finally removed the template, and again we are at the trim and check stage, I probably took an hour for the final fit at this point, and I still need to trim a bit once I get to putting the moulding on.
View attachment 79617

after trimming a straight line across the top of the mesh, I left it a little high for the final fit and trim once its mounted.
View attachment 79625

To be continued...

Continuing...
found my moulding, finally! and proceeded to finish it all up.
View attachment 79697

BDSO bracket adjustment tools!
View attachment 79641

Whats not shown: kinda got in a zone and just went to it, I mounted all of the brackets to the grille, then put in place and marked where to drill my bumper cover. Drilled the holes (8mm) to use push connectors in the brackets to the bumper cover. Go slow, measure twice, drill once!! I placed 4 of the brackets on the bottom directly in front of where the stock grille tabs go, and the center one, well, centered. I may add 2 more brackets to the sides at some point, but not today.

Final fit and install.
View attachment 79649

View attachment 79657

View attachment 79665

View attachment 79673

View attachment 79681

View attachment 79689

Yet to do! I did not notice that the center bolt for the grille was slightly higher than the others, will adjust to match, I have plenty of adjustment to use! final trim of the top edge will happen when I get my air diversion panel in, I will use that to make a few upper mounts just to stiffen things up a bit, I also need to move my Nismo badge to the new grille. all in all not a bad half days work! I think it looks pretty damn good! Also, I did have to drill the angle brackets to 8mm to use the push clips with them.

from this:
View attachment 79705

to this!
View attachment 79681

parts list, for anyone interested:
Grille material
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=custom+car+grille+ccg&rh=n:15684181,k:custom+car+grille+ccg

angle brackets:
http://www.amazon.com/RERIVER-20mmx20mm-Corner-Bracket-Fastener/dp/B018I1XGNA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Push fasteners:
http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Push-Retainers-Clips-63848-01G00/dp/B009AE4WOM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

fender dress up bolts:
http://www.amazon.com/Amooca-Password-Aluminum-Fender-Washers/dp/B00OPYZDG8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Nylock nuts:
http://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group-42114-M6-1-00-30-Pack/dp/B00PG8023G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

door edge guard stuff but not quite:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowles-T5602-Black-Edge-Trim/dp/B001EA0LJK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Tools used: tin snips, flush cut snips (designed for circuit board work) sharpie, drill, 8mm (5/16) bit, 10mm wrench, allen key to fit bolts, scissors to cut pattern initially, blue painters tape, a right angle pick to mark holes, and IceHouse beer.
Nice job and thanks for the how to!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
I'll be attempting this a long with a cf hood for @AMG8191d... You made it look pretty simple so I mite give this one a go!

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be attempting this a long with a cf hood for @AMG8191d... You made it look pretty simple so I mite give this one a go!
I'll post back here whenever I get the diversion panel and get it installed. really tho, the hardest and most time consuming is to not take too much metal off when you trim. it really was fairly easy

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
How are you planning on mounting the diversion panel?

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
I'll post back here whenever I get the diversion panel and get it installed. really tho, the hardest and most time consuming is to not take too much metal off when you trim. it really was fairly easy
Customs holds your shit up big time!! And I'll take your offer on the template if you don't mind and still have it

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will use the standard mount locations, on the radiator support, same as the ones the bumper cover mount up to. I have already installed the fender washer crush nut in the holes, so that will be fairly solid, and the front edge I may have to extend to reach the grille, dont know till I get it, I have an aluminum plate that I can use to extend it if necessary. then either use the same angle brackets, or be really clever and make the extension panel with tabs I can bend down to mount to the mesh with push pins

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
Customs holds your shit up big time!! And I'll take your offer on the template if you don't mind and still have it
You just have to drink a couple of 18 packs of icehouse and you are good to go with the template!!

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 92 Posts