A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV with a six speed manual transmission with about 93k miles and about two months ago I changed the factory exhaust manifold with an aftermarket one by SRS as well as doing the spacer modification for the second sensor on the bottom. The engine does not throw any codes but I'm having trouble figuring out what is making an odd sound. When I decelerate around 3000 rpm it makes a winding down grinding sound that i can't make it do while its out of gear. I was told by the previous owner that the clutch was replaced before i bought the car two years ago. The clutch doesn't slip or I at least don't feel any sign of being worn out. Also, when its parked and i rev it to about 3k rpm the exhaust makes a popping sound sort of like a backfire when i let go of the gas. I didn't want to change the sound of the car or do too many modifications to the vehicle since it's my daily driver and I didn't want to invest too much money into the vehicle in general. Any advice would be welcome. I usually do the work on my vehicle but this is the first manual I own and I have never worked on a transmission before. Thank you all for listening.

·
Premium Member
39,133 Posts
A video of the noise might be helpful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sort of sounds like a backfire but it only happens when I rev it up past 3000 rpm. I'm working on uploading some videos I just took from a roll around the block.

·
Registered
665 Posts
put the drive link on here and give everyone access

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out where the sound was coming from. I believe its the second catalytic converter in the exhaust system. Sounds like something is loose in it. Its this oval shaped part in the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Butterfly screw in the resonator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think what I'll end up doing is buying the SRS down pipe and cat back exhaust so as to replace the entire exhaust system. So does a cat back exhaust go only to this pipe and stop, meaning I need a new mid pipe as well. Correct?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BHI9U5A
That's the exhaust I'm thinking of going with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.