A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
39,173 Posts
I've heard of cheaper, $850 and lots more if the block and head is warped.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know until you take the engine apart.

See what other shops will do and if they would work with you on price if everything is straight.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard of cheaper, $850 and lots more if the block and head is warped.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know until you take the engine apart.

See what other shops will do and if they would work with you on price if everything is straight.
I figured the part about them not fully/truly knowing until they have it all apart so they can take measurements of the mating surfaces and look for cracks.

But, assuming all is well in that regard, if it's just a simple matter of taking the head off, putting a new gasket on, and buttoning it all back up, I feel like over $2,000 is a bit much? But, I do live in SoCal...I'm guessing that probably has an effect on pricing?

· Premium Member
39,173 Posts
Maybe some of the SoCal peeps will chime in if they know of a shop that does good work for a little cheaper.
But with that being said, don't expect good work for $600. But I would say expect to pay around $1100 - $1400. West Side Tax....lol

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe some of the SoCal peeps will chime in if they know of a shop that does good work for a little cheaper.
But with that being said, don't expect good work for $600. But I would say expect to pay around $1100 - $1400. West Side Tax....lol
See, that's what I was expecting to hear when I called around! I was blown away when I heard $2k plus! I feel $1,500 is a reasonably max price for a job like this. Unless, of course, it ends up being more than a head gasket, at which point it'd probably be cheaper to just get a 40k mile JDM motor, yeah?

· Registered
6,139 Posts
$2k I feel like is on the top end. I wouldn't expect any more than 10hrs labor. Factor in oil, coolant, gaskets, shop supplies, tax, etc.. $1400-1800 I would guess. But, maybe the book time asks for the timing chain cover to be off, even though it can be done without removal.

· Super Moderator
21,909 Posts
$2k I feel like is on the top end. I wouldn't expect any more than 10hrs labor. Factor in oil, coolant, gaskets, shop supplies, tax, etc.. $1400-1800 I would guess. But, maybe the book time asks for the timing chain cover to be off, even though it can be done without removal.
another example of a $50 part costing out the hind end to be fixed. there is lots of labor time involved tho. I worked for ford dealerships so cant speak to nissan book times, but considering its in socal, that may be ballpark, everything there is expensive as fook

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll keep looking around for shops, as long as they don't give off a shady vibe. Is there usually room for negotiation on the prices of things like this?

· Registered
2,143 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.