A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
OrangeDream - 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
Touge/Autocross/Cruising/Show Build

lol I'm terrible at keeping up a build thread

Will edit this later with pics of the car.

Decided to be more concise and get rid of the wishlist. Too much to wish for and my build plans are constantly changing with this car.

Have a Parts List instead.

*****PERFORMANCE - ENGINE*****

- 2J Racing Moto-style intake
- 2J Racing "Medusa" UEL header
- 2J Racing 2.5" catless midpipe
- Stromung 2.5" catback exhaust

Soon to have:

- Altima plenum kit
- 2nd gen QR throttle body
- TB adapter harness
- UpRev tune done by MunkyWorks

*****PERFORMANCE - DRIVELINE*****

- 2J Racing stage 1 clutch
- TDMimports 5-lug conversion hubs

Soon to have:

- Competition Clutch stage 2 pressure plate & release bearing
- ACT Sprung street disc
- Competition Clutch Street flywheel
- ZSpeedPerformance Tilton 350Z clutch master cylinder upgrade
- The Driveshaft Shop axle bar upgrade (with Road Race option)
- NSK JDM front wheel bearings

*****SUSPENSION, BRAKES, CHASSIS, & TIRES*****

- Fortune Auto 500-Series coilovers (8kF/8kR Swift springs upgrade)
- 2J Racing RCK ball ball joints
- 2J Racing BSK outer tie-rods
- 2J Racing SuperPro offset LCA bushings
- TDMimports subframe lock collars
- ISR Performance 70mm wheel studs
- TDMimports × Alutec front strut tower brace
- Nismo lower tie bar
- Kosei K5R wheels (17x9JJ; +48et; 5x114.3)
- Hankook Ventus RS-3 version 2 (255/40R17; 200tw SCCA Legal)

Soon to have:

- TDMimports Track-Spec coilovers (10kF/12kR Swift Springs setup)
- 2J Racing RCK ball joints
- Red Lion Racing Nylatron offset LCA bushings
- Red Lion Racing Nylatron trailing arm bushings
- Blitz Type 03 3-piece wheels (17x9JJ; +38et; 5x114.3)
- Sumitomo HTR Z III (255/40R17; 300tw)

*****EXTERIOR*****

- Custom front wide fenders

Soon to have:

- Nexy's Aera Magic "Windblade" front overfenders
- Nexy's Aera Magic "mnml" rear flares
- Vented hood

*****INTERIOR*****

- Nite Ize Steelie magnetic mount ball
- Pioneer DEH-X6600BT head unit
- Nismo titanium shift knob
- CG Lock seat belt lock mechanism

Soon to have:

- OMP 1957/NN "Velocita" steering wheel
- Works Bell Rapfix II QR hub and MOMO/Sparco/OMP hub pattern adapter ring
- OMP OA/1040A Tuning pedal pads
- Re-bent shift lever
- Custom cruise control relocation
- Innovate MTX-L wideband​

·
39,045 Posts
Interesting and good luck with your 'rebuild'.

You had the precat failure but a thrown rod killed it? That must be a strong azz engine.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting and good luck with your 'rebuild'.

You had the precat failure but a thrown rod killed it? That must be a strong azz engine.
I did mention it to you in my thread on storing it thrown rod, thing was burning oil, you mentioned it was the precat that did it in. I actually found metal shavings the size of a jalapeno seed as well in the oil pan when I did an oil change and added LUCAS oil stabilizer to it, but so far no shavings up top, so I'm guessing for the most part the cylinder walls are okay, if not scored up badly. Currently sounds more like I actually spun a bearing instead, but either way it'll be immobile for now.

Until I get a new motor in, this thread will be more like a general teardown/maintenance thread till I start adding some go-fast parts

Might I also be one of the few guys who actually wants to do an N/A build as well? I'm not so much for the whole idea of turbo-ing my Spec.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Best of luck to you on your rebuild.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I can update my plans and general ideas for this car.

Needa edit op with updated plans, but. . .since this is my thread, I feel I can also rant here as well.

May delete this post afterward since this will technically be a useless post, but meh. I might as well rant about my struggle with others telling me to let go of this car.

Taken straight off my Instagram. Don't mind some of my grammar, on social media I talk like a retard 'coz I uphold a persona on the Internet.

So lately I've been getting a lot of flak from numerous people I know irl who tell me this car's not worth the effort to build, an' that I should just get a Honda or my dream Miata already.

First off, I've driven Hondas, an' they honestly were never as exciting as my Spec was. we even have two Hondas in the family already (additional note - a '09 Honda Fit Sport and a '01 Honda Civic LX). I've even ridden in a friend's '09 Civic Si, an' the pull in that thing was nowhere near as smile-inducing as the low end in my Spec.

Second off, I'm yet to find a Miata on this dumpy-ass island that meets my criteria of being in the 94-97 year range, with a manual transmission, the 1.8L engine, an' the Torsen diff (though the diff doesn't matter too much since I can easily buy one to install myself), all in bone stock condition. I'm very picky, an' will be picky until I find my dream Miata to build.

Funnily enough, the people who tell me the car isn't worth the effort to build have either never touched a wrench at all in their lives, or have built an' drive cars that are not interesting to me at all. Civics are a penny a dozen here (where I live - Kauai); trucks are too big an' obnoxious for me (and also a penny a dozen here); an' one guy (my coworker) who drives a '65 Thunderbird with rust all over the undercarriage tells me $5 for a 10 count baggie of dome light bulbs ish expensive tells me to give up the car. there's more out there in other categories I can't count on one hand.

I will see to it that this car lives a long life on the road, being driven daily instead of being taken to a scrap yard. I'm the kinda person who believes everything that comes into my life has a chance at being something great, an' this car will be no exception. I've been told "no" countless times when I've asked for help with the things I do, an' now I'm gonna say to those who've told me no, "fuck it, an' fuck you," an' build something great out of this car, even if ish just me building it.

In addition, the B15 Spec V is my first car ever, and I honestly like it. A whole lot. While others see no value in something that looks like a pile of junk at the moment, I see a tonne of potential in this car. I honestly don't wanna be another modded Civic driver on the road; I wanna be different, and build something that'll set me apart from the Honda crowd. If I'm the only built and bolted Spec V driver on this road, I wanna leave an impression on the tuner crowd that'll make them think twice about saying, "it's just another Sentra."

Anyways, on with updates. . .

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hear this all the time
meanwhile on the road
NA

a c6 vette and dual turbo gto can't seem to lose me
and they agree
my car in the curves is the most fun they have had

but they would be ashamed to be seen in it
Thanks for the words Barry.

I'm more comfortable right now facing off against Civics, but if I find a higher performing car to overtake (say, maybe the more common BMW 3- and 5-series cars here or the like) I think it'll be quite the thrill then :D Maybe after my build though. . .but facing off against higher performing cars would be some good fun. . .

Isn't that the wonder of the SE-R Spec V though? That you're always underestimated because others see it as "just a Sentra?" Hehe.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lil fricker is running again. The clutch I bought from @nismospecv04 did indeed happen to be a stage 3 kit, but it doesn't grab aggressively like I thought it would (Corvette C6 clutch gave me clutch PTSD at my valet job. . .therefore I rev higher than usual when I start manual transmission cars rolling. . .). I credit my job as a valet to my quick adaptation to this clutch, though, lol. Engagement is very solid though, so I know it's not slipping anytime soon. 450 miles left to go on break in, then I can get to pounding it a bit harder, lol.

The motor, for an Altima motor running at 75k miles now, is surprisingly much, much smoother than the old motor that was formerly in the car. It likes to rev quickly and powerfully - I even did a couple of pulls from 25 to 50 in 2nd gear, and this thing has some serious power. I can even feel and see (on the tach) where the intake valves open up and let the motor inhale more. The butt dyno is very pleased over the slowness of the GE8 Fit Sport I formerly drove. The Fit made me appreciate the SPec even more, and now that i get to drive it once again, I'm a happy cat.

The one thing I missed the most was the sunroof. That frickering sunroof was what I missed the most on this car. Now I don't have to worry about how much I should crack my windows open on a hot day to ventilate the interior - I simply have to flip up the sunroof and the interior stays much, much cooler.

The car seriously needs a wash, however - five months without water and soap was pretty detrimental to the paint. The clear on my roof is fading, and I have massive, gritty white spots on my sunroof where the clear coat is turning into dust and getting blown away by the trade winds. The Hawaiian sun was not nice to the paint on this car. May pick up a pop-up car port soon.

I think the only thing I'll miss from the Fit now is the fuel mileage and fuel prices - $20 of 87 at Costco got me a full tank from a quarter tank, over the $30 I spent last night on 92 from a quarter tank. and 25mpg definitely feels a lot worse than the 39mpg in my mom's Fit, lol. Maybe I just need to stay in 5th and 6th gear more often. . .

Up next on my list of things to get for this car are a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11As mounted up on my stock wheels. Good riddance, Hercules Raptis WR1s. After that is a full set of chassis bushings, except for LCAs - I'm saving those for when I get a set of Fortune Auto coilovers and the rest of the 2J Racing handling package.

But first, I need to get my AC condenser fixed (seeing as we tore it open when we pulled the motor) so that I don't have to rely on Hawaiian AC as much, get my windshield washer reservoir filled with the blue stuff, and get my headlight pigtail fixed ('coz we somehow cut the low beam wire during the install. Still not sure how it happened). Then I'll give the car a wash and I'll be good to go until the very first autoX event on Kauai on June 6 this year.

Wahooo!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mini review, and small update.

About two weeks ago, my new tires came in - a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A tires, one of the last sets Bridgestone produced because they're now discontinued and replaced by the brand new Potenza RE-71R.

I haven't done much spirited driving on these tires yet, but I can say that in terms of braking and cornering in the wet, these tires are MILES better than the old Hercules Raptis WR1s I used to drive on. They're also very meaty, so the fitment looks really aggressive on our cars. I just wish I had wider wheels and had them in a wider section width so that they'd be mean both in looks and all-out traction. But these tires made all the difference in my street handling on the stock suspension.

Also, up next on my list, I've changed my Current Wishlist to be the 2JR race header, the 2JR intake plenum and cai, and the 5-lug conversion. the header is simply 'coz 2JR is discontinuing them (which I find sad, 'coz it's the header with the best performance I've seen); the intake is so I don't have to worry about the butterflies (plus I hate that extra pull at 5k rpm, feels like old-school VTEC); and the 5-lug conversion is 'coz I might as well go with more wheel options since I'm gonna be replacein my brakes with refreshed units.

Next week, my new AC condenser should go in. Can't stand being without AC when it's sunny and the fan blows warm air from the motor during the day. . .dammit, Hawaii. . .

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Summer arrived. . .six weeks ago.

But only at the end of summer did I decide to finally buy a few 2JR goodies.

- Nismo-style STS (with Turcite bushings)
- Delrin solid motor mounts (with Delrin crossmember bushings)
- 10mm ALK traction spacers

long story short on these choice items. . .

- I used to play "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." Now I play "Flick Of The Wrist."
- VIBES FER DAYS but NO WHEELHOP whatsoever.
- Tracks like it's on rails, and brakes like a chained dog.

I recommend all of these pieces to anyone looking to make their Spec handle and drive like a champ. I have no power mods, except for a banged-up Nismo CAI, and the car already handles waaay better than it used to. Accelerates better, corners better, and even stops way better than before. Combine these with sticky tires and you will have a great handling B15.

Also, I should start posting update and progress pics in my op. Almost every pic will come from my Instagram, though. . .

By the end of summer, I'm hoping to already have my 2JR LCAs with handling package, and my Fortune Auto 500-series coilovers. I'm definitely looking forward to the coilovers, and combined with the LCAs, I'll also have a nice battle stance going.

I'm thinking that by July of 2016, I'll have my Orange Thingy mostly where I want it. I'll be doing random lil things along the way (like a new headliner, or painted dash panels, or other miscellaneous mods), which may push it back further as well, but I'll still have my car where I want it.

I started off with someone's neglected beater, but now I'm turning this car's life around.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I am very surprised no one has tried the Fortune Auto coilovers and wish you'd hurry up lol ;)

You should fill this out and see what they say. That's to help select custom spring rates. Standard b15 FAs are 8k/6k. Which sounds about right honestly for stock and a street car with a nice ride.
http://www.fortune-auto.com/springselector.htm

They really do sound like well built affordable quality coilovers. I like that they all come with a build sheet. And a dyno chart for each individual one. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I contacted them a few months ago on B15 coilovers, lol. used that spring selector tool and decided on 9kF/7kR Swift springs because my driving style is a lil more on the spirited side.

I'm just as antsy as you about them, lol. I think it's mainly the hype 2JR gave to the BCs that the FAs never showed up on the B15 community's radar, except for a thread where someone else asked about them.

I wonder if Joe and Brock would be willing to receive mine and set them up as they would the BCs. . .just kidding, lol.

I'm really looking forward to them because my friend can get them for me for $300 off what normal quotes are for them.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
I want some for $300 off!!!!!

How much is the Swift upgrade?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$300 well, for both the Swift upgrade, and radial bearings for the fronts, iirc. with both added, the price is bumped up to about $1500 from the $1200 on FA's website. or was it $1400 bumped up to $1700. . .

my friend just happens to be good friends with someone who works for FA, and gets discounts simply 'coz he's ordered a few sets of FA coilovers for close friends in the past. unfortunately, I can't get any discount for you from my friend but if you practically become a dealer for them, you could probably get your own discounts, lol

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here was my email response to my inquiry on spring rates. this from the guy my friend happens to be friends with, lol. 9kF, 7kR, with Swift upgrade and radial bearings on the fronts.

View attachment 66022

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
:eek13: need a discount!! !!

Been thinking about a spring change. I like these. Tempted to try them and sell my BC. And yes it looks like with upgraded mounts and springs they're $1500-1600 but they look maybe worth it. I forget what the BC Swift upgrade costs. I could just swap Springs pretty cheap probably. I need you to give me a review of these damn it!!!! I like then except for the color. Really liking they dyno tune and match them all.

Maybe I will just upgrade my BC to two ways and Swifts.....idk......decisions. ... And No Review From You Yet ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:eek13: need a discount!! !!

Been thinking about a spring change. I like these. Tempted to try them and sell my BC. And yes it looks like with upgraded mounts and springs they're $1500-1600 but they look maybe worth it. I forget what the BC Swift upgrade costs. I could just swap Springs pretty cheap probably. I need you to give me a review of these damn it!!!! I like then except for the color. Really liking they dyno tune and match them all.
for a more neutral color scheme, Broadway Static sells the FA lineup in a black and gold scheme similar to the BC scheme. they mark them up though, since Broadway Static specializes in modifying FA coilovers for slammed cars. the quality of their modified versions is the exact same as FAs from the factory, though.

the Swifts, btw, are a more low-key pale blue than the springs that FA sells with them by default, lol.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Idk why we all always buy 7k/7k or 8k/8k etc but we do. The vehicle weight distribution is not balanced so neither should be our springs I would think.

I obviously am one of the same F/R people but I may change that.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
BC BRs are decent and FA 500s I would also not go further than calling decent. But they do seem maybe better than BC BRs. The BC advantage is you can get way better than just BR series for the B15 if you choose and can also later just upgrade all the parts individually to become the better models. The FA advantage is you get proof of the build and the valving and matching And possibly a better damper in general than BC BR. That you know they are properly valved and matched is obviously a big PLUS

As crazy as it may sound ... I have several times in the past year considered hunting down a local suspension dyno (which I doubt I will find) or at least a shop with a shock dyno

1 - 20 of 44 Posts