A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not that I can put it in right away but I thought the Bosch fuel pump came complete? It says on the box I gotta put a new filter screen on this thing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Wait... Isn't that it? Hmm box says it's not included...

Edit: box it came in doesn't look like the actual pump but the model number is there and the pump looks like the real version (box shows it with 2 tubes) so maybe the box itself wrong (I got this from AutoZone fyi lol)

Edit 2: apparently these come with everything according to some old Amazon questions for it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got another terminal on and had to get a jump but got it back running! It idled a bit low until I made the 30 minute drive back and it almost seems fine (I couldn't accelerate from a red light for a few seconds and my dashboard lights dimmed a bit but then went away) now onto fuel pump tomorrow morning!

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
I wonder if you had an electrical issue this whole time that has been causing your issues, failing alternator and battery not sending proper output could have been masked by your intake/fuel system failures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have one of those battery/alternator testors you plug into the 12v in the car before the terminal snapped I know a week or 2 before and everything seemed fine (I did leave the lights on when I first got it twice but bought a battery charger/repair unit for the battery and never got the bad battery symbol)

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
Just because you replaced the battery and the volts are reading 12/14 doesn't mean there isn't an issue, ask me how I know. When did you test the alternator?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just checked the battery and it's under 12... Couldn't check the alternator cause I couldn't get it to start so battery prolly went when negative terminal snapped

·
Registered
572 Posts
Batteries don't go flat when there is nothing connected.
You might have a bad diode in your alternator sending AC to the battery which it won't like and can destroy cells.
Get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the fluid in each cell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I cranked it 3 or 4 times and had to leave the positive terminal on it when I first left it because I didn't wanna risk stripping it cause at the time I didn't have the right size wrench/sockets with me.... Then when I got the new terminal on I cranked it 4 or 5 times before finally waiting and then getting a jump and driving back but I'll look into getting one then

·
Registered
572 Posts
If your ground terminal was busted and the ground wire was left hanging loose then even with the positive terminal still connected, the battery was disconnected with the ground wire loose. This would not drain the battery unless you had a bad cell which could not hold a charge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I most likely have a bad battery then cause I've let the lights on in the car accidentally twice and I know it's an old battery also

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
Sometimes when one is dying or dies it taxes the hell out of the other and in most case take it with them, if caught early enough you don't have to replace both at the same time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Since the terminal snapped on me and also cause I don't know how long it's been like that is it possible that it wasn't getting a full charge and was just being depleted since the negative was becoming looser and looser as the terminal snapped?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Either way I'm getting a meter to test the diode tomorrow and I've got the battery on a battery charger/maintainer where it will\should tell me if the battery is bad within an hour of me plugging it in (is been about 40 and it's still going)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Battery is charged and I took a look at the cells and they all seemed fine and uniform (I barrrely had to top it off) I also left it off the charger for an hour before topping it of and putting it back on the charger\maintainer to see how fast it would go back down to 12.4v - 12.6v it dropped maybe .01 or .02? Will be testing for ac current in an hour or so after putting battery back in.. I might still get a load test done on the battery if there's no ac current though somewhere

Edit: also checked the 80 amp and 100 amp battery ign and battery relays in the fuse box and they don't look blown

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Alternator won't put out enough charge once I turn on the AC so I suppose I have a bad alternator (lights and radio and my USB radio transmitter it's good but once I turn on the ac to any setting it can't keep up)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts