A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm Andy and i'm new to this forum. I have an 02 Sentra with the QR25de motor. I recently changed the headgasket and timing chain and sadly i havent been able to get my timing right on it. Now i've read about every post on various nissan forum pages on timing and it's pretty cut and dry. I can set the motor to TDC very quickly and align the links on the chain to the marks on the Cam sprockets with out any issues my problem is that once i have the timing set i'll crank the engine over by hand and my timing marks never line up. The front cover has been put back on (as i've read the chain cant skip teeth with the cover installed) still doesnt seem to matter, the marks never line up.
i purchased a complete timing chain set so i know the parts arent worn out but this thing is really ticking me off. I have a two year old daughter and a wife thats had it with me spending time on this motor. Has this happened to anyone else ? Hopefully i'm missing something small but i'm going nuts on this thing. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Did you replace the tensioner? Sounds like it's bad. Anyway, after reinstalling the tensioner double check it's priming by using a flat head and pushing it in/out a few times. Think it's supposed to be primed by hand anyway. You have the cover on but have you verified the timing is bad now? It could be another issue. I actually was throwing a p0300 and took off the cover to reconfirm my timing was right but it was and the code was for an unrelated issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace the tensioner? Sounds like it's bad. Anyway, after reinstalling the tensioner double check it's priming by using a flat head and pushing it in/out a few times. Think it's supposed to be primed by hand anyway. You have the cover on but have you verified the timing is bad now? It could be another issue. I actually was throwing a p0300 and took off the cover to reconfirm my timing was right but it was and the code was for an unrelated issue.
I should have mentioned that i pullefile:///home/andy/Desktop/110_0819.JPGd the motor to do work on it. i figured i could get a lot more accomplished with timing it the second time around with the motor on my bench than in the car.
I'll post a couple pics of what my timing looks like right now. The chain tensioner has been replaced and moves in and out while the engine is hand cranked.
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor
should show my timing marks and my chain marks.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Transmission part
overhead shot of the valve train.

every time i rotate the engine the timing marks on the chain never line back up to the timing marks on the cams.... engine still seems to be at TDC every other turn. i just dont want to throw it all back together and still not have it fire up....

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
oh well that's normal I think. You can rotate the motor many times before the links on the cams line up. Look up the pic balla posted on the thread I linked. It took about six revolutions before it lined up like that but I wanted to make sure. Basically if you get the cams pointed right, (you will need a wrench to do it right) you just count the number of links in between the mating marks. It's twelve in between I believe. If you got that copacetic just rotate it a bunch until the cam links line up on the cam mating marks. Once you see that you should be good to go but since you took the whole chain off you will have to verify you are still at tdc I guess.

edit: the first pic looks like your cams are way off and the second they look a little too far advanced I think. #1 shouldn't be pointing down at all at tdc. The first lobes should be opposite and more or less level; even slightly pointing up.

Search for the jwt cam install pdf and look at the fsm again

Reactions: yogi b

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ok so.. Timing looks fine too me. It's not going to line up every time you crank it over because it's not a 1 stroke engine! You'll have to turn it over 4 times before they line up.. After you set up timing and everything press the tensioner plunger quite a few times to get a little pressure back on the chain, and than close her up. When you go to start it just give it a few bumps so that oil pressure can build up just incase! And no his cams aren't off lol.. Plz tell me you didn't confuse what cams go where.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
His cams do look off in the first pic. The second pic looks better. In the first pic cyl 1 looks like one of the cams are pointed up at about a 45 angle unless I'm tripping

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so.. Timing looks fine too me. It's not going to line up every time you crank it over because it's not a 1 stroke engine! You'll have to turn it over 4 times before they line up.. After you set up timing and everything press the tensioner plunger quite a few times to get a little pressure back on the chain, and than close her up. When you go to start it just give it a few bumps so that oil pressure can build up just incase! And no his cams aren't off lol.. Plz tell me you didn't confuse what cams go where.

Lol no I didn't confuse the cams. The intake cam has the plate for the cam position sensor. I can spin this all day and my links wont return to tdc. The lobes and marks on the cams return to tdc every two revs but not the links on the chain. I'll have a motor stand here this week for it. I'll put the upper and lower oil pans back on and put oil in the motor. I'm not connecting the balance shafts back up I've seen they aren't needed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
yeah you dont need those. dontworry about it man as long as you set it up correctly and put tension on the chain itll be okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing seems to be very good also us. It's not going to get in line each time you crank it more than due to the fact it may not be some sort of 1 stroke serps! You will need to switch it more than four instances ahead of these people get in line.. As soon as you build timing in addition to almost everything press the tensioner plunger numerous instances to get a small force again about the cycle, in addition to compared to in close proximity the woman way up. When you attend start off it only give it several protrusions so that fat force could increase only could! With no the cameras aren't away from lol.. Plz say to us you did not mix up what cameras head out where.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timing seems to be very good also us. It's not going to get in line each time you crank it more than due to the fact it may not be some sort of 1 stroke serps! You will need to switch it more than four instances ahead of these people get in line.. As soon as you build timing in addition to almost everything press the tensioner plunger numerous instances to get a small force again about the cycle, in addition to compared to in close proximity the woman way up. When you attend start off it only give it several protrusions so that fat force could increase only could! With no the cameras aren't away from lol.. Plz say to us you did not mix up what cameras head out where.
you'll have to excuse me but i have no idea what the heck you're talking about. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys have any of you pulled your motor and once everythings back in Timed and ready to go have any electrical issues ??? I've got everything in and all of the sensors hooked up properly but for some reason once i cycle the key the dash lights up like normal, the fuel pump primes, and then nothing happens once i go to crank. I figured i missed a ground somewhere or missed a wire but everything looks connected and besides that once i cycle the key to the off position the dash lights remain on. I Miss driving this friggin thing and this wiring issue is driving me nuts. Any Suggestions on what this might be ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts