A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

new whip - R33 skyline

4K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  usmctankmech 
#1 ·
So I think I'm getting a job with the local 9 pipe fitters and I'm thinking about getting a r32 gtr or a r33 gtr or skyline gts-t... anyone have any input? I'm also going to either sell my car and get a dd spec vq or just vq swap my spec.

#2 ·
Hey mang this is what i know. Cuz at one point in time i was gonna reenlist in the Marines for one of these cars. I hope you have good luck getting one. The easyest way to get one would probably be from Canada from Terra2 imports or somewhere,but each state is different and the thing about it is that you can only get one of them based on the fact that you only agree to use it as a track car only.And as of recently the government has been cracking down on skyline owners here in the states and just seizing thier skylines as government property because theyre not exactly legal. I have a friend that has a clean as all hell 91 BNR32 GTR, how he got it on the road in PA i will never know. Your better off buying a 240SX and Swaping in an RB series engine, you have just as much fun and the best part of all its legal!!!!:D

#23 ·
The easyest way to get one would probably be from Canada from Terra2 imports or somewhere,but each state is different :D
Your better off buying a 240SX and Swaping in an RB series engine, you have just as much fun and the best part of all its legal
You can't import a Skyline from Canada. You can only import a car from it's country of origin. Also, dropping an RB into a 240 isn't necessarily legal either unless it's the same age or newer than your cars model year, and meets the same level of emissions as the stock motor. I know this because I got a nice call from the EPA when they confiscated my engine at the border...

I think you can get away with stripping a VIN # off of a 240sx and registering it that way but for how long i dont know.
This just a bad idea in general, because the first cop that recognizes the Skyline and sees it's registered as a 240 will consider it fraud, and that's a federal offense :)

#5 ·
Good luck mike, I helped a customer of mine out with this and I had even posted the entire info in a previous thread, it's really a legal pain in the wallet, neck, and peace of mind, it's not worth it, if I were you I'd wait the 25 years then import an R32 that won't have to undergo FED and EPA rules and you forget about the NHTSA, without them you can't even get the car here, you need to have NHTSA approved crash test data to even start working on the car to make it FED legal.... either way there's a lot more bullshit involved..... and as a side note R33s are partially legal they are the only skylines that have NHTSA on file in the states

#9 ·
Im not sure how true this is but ive been told that its perfectly legal to have the car like if you wanted to buy one for a track car or something, but the problem comes in when you try to register it. I think you can get away with stripping a VIN # off of a 240sx and registering it that way but for how long i dont know.

#6 ·
Back when Motorex was around they used the crash test data on the R33s to bring in R32s and R34s long story but that's where the crackdown came, once the car is here you have 120 day to have the car converted to FED legal, bumpers, windshields, OBD systems etc... it's really a pain in the neck process even with the R33 which is the one I helped my customer import

#7 ·
LoLs Skylines are actually much more expensive than the Sentra/Sunny helped import one for a customer in Yonkers NY, looking for the pics now, but do have a youtube video of it loosing to a boosted Civic (GT-R was stock) only the R33 can be fully drivably legal in the US that means Fed and State, other than that they need to be registered or insured as either a "race-car" or "show-car" did all the research and it's really not worth it unless you have the money and really are an avid fan.....
Here's my story about 2 and a half maybe 3 years ago a customer of mine came across a large settlement and decided to make a purchase on a Skyline fortunately he wanted a R33 GT-R V-Spec which made the process so much easier(I will explain later why) so we started doing research, calling DOT and the NHTSA numerous times he called and he got hung up on, they thought it was a joke, so finally I called them on behalf of my dealership very blatantly they said "no way you can get the car into the States, it has never been produced in America they cannot be legal" when I asked how do people get them in they replied "we don't know of such occurances and they are purely not legal unless registered and insured as Show Cars or Race Cars not for use on public highways" well it would've been easy to get the car and simply insure it as a show car and just have him drive it around as is but god forbid he gets pulled over or something happens that would get him in a load of shit with the insurance company, law enforcement, or even the Feds. So we went about doing more research, came across the Motorex story and scandal, got in touch with a former employee of Motorex who lives in Hawaii he said not just any company in the states can convert the car for you, you need someone who has the DOT and NHTSA compliant crash test data, regardless fo the Motorex story he went on to tell us why the R32s and R34s are and probably never will be legal in the states Motorex tried to get over on the government by importing the R32s and R34s with the crash test data of the R33, so in other word the government didn't take too well to that, he went on to explain to us the data and was sold to a company in Virginia JK Technologies JK TECHNOLOGIES - US Specifications Car Conversion anyways here's more info on the Skyline as far as it's legallity Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Appendixso next step was to get in touch with JK Tech. after numerous run arounds and telling us the don't do this kind of work they primarily focus on fleet cars for film productions and have a contract with SMART(the tiny little annoying smart cars), after weeks of annoying them I finally got in touch with their manager, I told him my predicament, and explained to him that I'm not just another kid asking about a Skyline, and that I have an actual customer with the funds to back the project after agreeing to go along with it, the import process began almost a month to get the car in, it arrived with minor damage from shipping wish I still had the pics they're at my computer in the dealership I was working at in NY. So now the car is here everything is now we have rush trailer the car to Virginia to JK Tech, so now a week behind the 120 day schedule already as the car arrives at JK tech so basically about 36k later (not including the purchase and shipping of the vehicle to the States that's out of your own pocket JK does not do importing) the process goes smooth for the most part, now he has/had a legally daily drivable R33 GT-R V-Spec II which he sold a year ago to purchase a new 2010 GT-R, VIN on Title as per the government is the model number of the car followed by the serial number so it isn't a 17 digit vin it actually goes more along the lines of "BNR33-212650"<--- not the actual VIN for the current owners safety just an example.... But yea not a car I think any of us would consider buying

Here's a video of him racing a bone stock GT-R against LBRs boosted Civic in Yonkers, NY a couple years ago, and yes those are legal NY plates on the GT-R, and yes that is also a for sale sign in the rear window (he said it attracted too much attention and not the good kind.... kids following him home, got broken into a few times etc...)

YouTube - Skyline R33 VS EK Civic Turbo Hatch OUTOFSIGHT HD
This is my post from another thread with more details, and a Video of the BNR33 GT-R V-Spec
with New York tags which I helped import..... read and be educated my friend

#8 ·
Thanks pete yeah I read that, there are a few I've seen that say there registered in nj under the jap vin #. I've also found a few that are for show/race use only.

#10 ·
Don't bother getting a GTS-T. Just get a damn GTR.

I don't know why everyone here goes nuts over them, they are like 5k across the ocean. In fact, they are kinda laughed at now.

#12 ·
I know maybe 10 people who bought cars to drift with. How many can actually drift? ONE.

#13 ·
I would rather get a gtr over a gtst but I really just want a rare beast of a nissan that people will drool over when I drive by and all the mustangs around here would get shit on. Its like mach1/cobra/gt central around me.

#18 ·
I hate how that gay ass movie ruined that car for me.

#19 ·
hahahahahahha 9/10 second mustangs. The fastest one around here runs 12s.. a couple of them run 12s actually but still

#20 ·
And c jenks I'm pretty sure the hp numbers to the crank are only like 280

#22 ·
LOL Intake and a tune on some good tires?

#26 ·
Pessimism is contagious I'm afraid :( Believe me I thought the same things when I first thought about getting a gts-t skyline, but after I researched it to death i figured I'd wait until 2016 (2014 is when we can start importing them, but they are going to be UNGODLY expensive). Like QR25DE said, they go for like 5,000 in Japan but I can almost guarantee GTR's will go for 25,000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.