A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, ever through i have been lunking for the past 6 months.
But this time I need your help.

For the past 2 months or so, my car has been burning at least 1 pint of 5w30 per 500 km. So yesterday I did a compression test, I got these results 125-120-120-118.
I'd like to know what I should try to find what is the problem.

My car knowledge is really limited so use simple terms if you can.
Sorry if there is any english mistakes, I mainly speak french.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any other clue that i need a new engine? Because my neighbour did the compression test so im not 100% sure its accurate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look after work, ty
If that can help, there is no blue smoke that come out of the exhaust and the spark plug were clean

·
Registered
666 Posts
meh what oil are you running now? because when it hit -25 my car started to burn way more oil then normal and now that its back around 0 its not too bad again. but your compression is really bad which is telling me you probably have the stock exhaust manifold on it exploded and pieces of it scored you cylinder walls.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My engine was changed by nissan and the previous owner changed the header and loctite the butterfly screw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im running 5w30 and my car burn more oil when its cold too, when its -10 celcius it start to get worst

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I also burn about a quart of oil inbetween oil changes sometimes more but, no blue smoke, no oil on plugs, and no lack of noticeable power. Plus I did a compression test this past summer and my numbers where 155 across all 4 cylinders. You just have to CONSTANTLEY check to make shere your not low and add more when its needed. So far so good for me lol GL.

·
Registered
815 Posts
are you sure it's supposed to be 160? Mine shows 200 even with different testers :ugh:

·
Registered
666 Posts
yeah its bad piston rings or valve seals you also probably have a bit of a tick or rattle before 3k rpms and at start up?

also pelko nice i think you may have generous testers i have never seen over 190 in real life but props if thats whats happening

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
What's interesting about your compression numbers is they are all generally about the same. This would indicate all cylinders were bad, which is an unusual circumstance. sometimes, even if the numbers are below the "normal" 160 mark, as long as they are closely group, you are ok.

You are consuming oil though, which may mean you're headgasket is bad? any oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil? Hard start in the cold?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
666 Posts
What's interesting about your compression numbers is they are all generally about the same. This would indicate all cylinders were bad, which is an unusual circumstance. sometimes, even if the numbers are below the "normal" 160 mark, as long as they are closely group, you are ok.

You are consuming oil though, which may mean you're headgasket is bad? any oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil? Hard start in the cold?
i thought i was weird all cylinders were so low too. that being said perhaps you should go go rent a compression tester, make sure it was done correctly. IMO, if all four cylinders were bad you would be burning more oil then that. my personal compression is good and i burn around the same amount as you. about a quart a tank. i may have a head gasket starting to go as sammy said though. also when i run a thicker oil i burn about a quart every 1300k or 800 miles

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Start perfectly when cold but sometime have a hard time starting it when hot and no weird sound below 3k rpms
And today i noticed it only burn oil in city, I did 300 km on highway and the oil level is that same

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
normally if your headgasket is gone one of the cylinders will be 0. i think he did the test wrong. what were the numbers dry/wet. do the compression test again and tell us the numbers. sounds like oil is getting into your cylinders from the valve seals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll do the compression test again with someone else this time, just to be sure!
The spark plug shouldn't be dirty if there was oil in the cylinder?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts