A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post on B15u

I have a question , how loud will a straight pipe be on a stock gxe

Do i need to straight pipe the whole car or the middle muffler or only the rear muffler?

And any other tips on how to increase the sound

Thanks hope to hear from you guys soon

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Welcome to b15u. I'll put my answers inside the quote of your post

I have a question , how loud will a straight pipe be on a stock gxe

Depends on what you do ↓

Do i need to straight pipe the whole car or the middle muffler or only the rear muffler?

What is your goal? Dobyou want performance or do you just want it louder? How loud do you want it? Louder or as loud as possible? Also, what do you want to spend?
If you leave the cats and run a straight pipe catback of will be pretty loud. I'd just start there. You can go more extreme later if that's not obnoxious enough for you.

And any other tips on how to increase the sound

Bigger pipe is louder. Also we are fond of side exit exhaust around here. But if loudness is the only goal just delete some stuff and add a big horn on the back (exhaust trumpet). A fully cat less exhaust is super loud. Swap your header, bigger mid pipe, even bigger cat back, then a huge megaphone sticking out the back, equals max loudness for like a loud exhaust competition. Completely illegal, but whatever

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i dont plan on spending much and i just want it to be louder not faster, so when i go to the muffler shop what do i tell them if i want a catback exhaust and what will i need? And yes im keeping the cat on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way i cut out the muffler in the middle and put a straight pipe and the sound didnt change , how will it sound if i just cut off the rear muffler and put a straight pipe , would that be easier?

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Well. If in the super cheap and your not worked about sound quality or being loud. Then tell them you want straight pipe from the cat back. That's no resonator or muffler. It may not sound good. It will for sure be loud. You can always go back later and add in a high flow muffler (or also resonator) if you want later. Idk what size your stock pipe is, but go at least that size. Bigger will be louder and at idle a little deaper sounding. Probly 2.25 or 2.5 will satisfy you (depending on what sound you want).

Keep in mind most of us have loud cars that have mufflers and resonators (but also minus a cat or 2). But straight pipe is louder so....maybe stick a magnaflow resonator where your muffler is now so it looks to police like you have a muffler. Or just do a side exit.

Actually... I vote side exit with a glass pack muffler or a resonator. It will be plenty loud. 2.25" or 2.5". Tell them you want it from the cat back and tell them where you want it to end. Under the bumper or under the passenger rear door.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
By the way i cut out the muffler in the middle and put a straight pipe and the sound didnt change , how will it sound if i just cut off the rear muffler and put a straight pipe , would that be easier?
You removed the resonator. The muffler is still there. If you remove the muffler it will be louder.

Just go to the exhaust shop and have them run you a larger diameter straight pipe catback.

But yeah sure you can cut the muffler off and clamp a straight pipe on.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
This is no cat and its 3" but gives you an idea at least. Will be much quieter with a cat. But keep in mind it is about impossible to judge loudness from videos.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Honestly these straight piped gxe's sound much better than I expected. This is 2.5". Doesn't mention the cat. I think this guy still has the cat

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
2.5" no cat. I vote keep your cat (you are of course)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well. If in the super cheap and your not worked about sound quality or being loud. Then tell them you want straight pipe from the cat back. That's no resonator or muffler. It may not sound good. It will for sure be loud. You can always go back later and add in a high flow muffler (or also resonator) if you want later. Idk what size your stock pipe is, but go at least that size. Bigger will be louder and at idle a little deaper sounding. Probly 2.25 or 2.5 will satisfy you (depending on what sound you want).

Keep in mind most of us have loud cars that have mufflers and resonators (but also minus a cat or 2). But straight pipe is louder so....maybe stick a magnaflow resonator where your muffler is now so it looks to police like you have a muffler. Or just do a side exit.

Actually... I vote side exit with a glass pack muffler or a resonator. It will be plenty loud. 2.25" or 2.5". Tell them you want it from the cat back and tell them where you want it to end. Under the bumper or under the passenger rear door.

Alright thanks for all the information i really appreciate all the info

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Side exit will be cheap (less pipe) and it will be loud and we like side exit around here (illegal some places). I dont have side exit, but I like it. My buddies have it.

Get 2.5" or 2.25"

Go to an exhaust shop. Side exit probly costs $150 TOPS since its straight pipe.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
Which video do you like best? They are all different exhausts.

If you get no muffler or resonator you can always add one later. Pretty easy to add one toba side exit. I vote side exit if the cops around there are cool (for cops LoL).

Ask exhaust shop for cat back. Literally from the cat back to wherever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts