A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been think about maybe goin with a nitrous kit. I've completely new to it although i have been lookin through post on here and watching some videos. I have a general idea of how it works and how to install it. Just wanted to see if y'all could give me some info on dos and donts, what all I would need, best company to buy from, what to tune with. Anything and everything y'all can think would help. Also I am thinking of running a 75shot. Thanx!!

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's fun. The bottles go fast...
lol yea but i wont push the button that much lol ;) thats a question i have, when you refill the bottle do you have to go to a specific performance shop or can you go to a welding shop that sells compressed gases and stuff??

The bullshit stops when the bottle pressure drops. Boost goes hard all day
Lol true that! but on a nitrous kit feels a lil better on the wallet lol but i am looking at all options and if i can get the money for a turbo kit i wouldnt mind it lol but nitrous seems a lil cheaper easier to install and i hear you get a good torque curve from it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump for info???

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know nitrous isnt a big thing in tha sentra community but really no one.........

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well maybe he needs to chime in!!

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Yogi is our local nitrous guy. He'll have all the info you need.

There are also several good threads on the subject here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yogi is our local nitrous guy. He'll have all the info you need.

There are also several good threads on the subject here.
Yea ill probably just pm him then. Yea I've read a lot of the thread that other people have made and tried do a lot of research and watch videos on how it works and how to install.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Honestly, the install is the easy part.

Its the tuning of the jets that scared me.

I did a ton of research as I was going to spray my Spec when I had it (even bought a kit).

A few basics:

Run step colder copper plugs for anything over a 75 shot (I also read for anything over a 50 at one point)
Retard timing 2 degrees
Don't be cheap
Run a wideband
The more fail safes you can run the better
Get a bottle heater
Predetination is your enemy. Combat it with the plugs and retarding your timing 2*

Also, @pat and @littleredmachine are a couple other nitrous gurus but they aren't on much any more.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, the install is the easy part.

Its the tuning of the jets that scared me.

I did a ton of research as I was going to spray my Spec when I had it (even bought a kit).

A few basics:

Run step colder copper plugs for anything over a 75 shot (I also read for anything over a 50 at one point)
Retard timing 2 degrees
Don't be cheap
Run a wideband
The more fail safes you can run the better
Get a bottle heater
Predetination is your enemy. Combat it with the plugs and retarding your timing 2*

Also, @pat and @littleredmachine are a couple other nitrous gurus but they aren't on much any more.
Yea tha tuning part is something I'm still kinda confused about. So retard timing that I should do or only if I wanna run 75 shot?? Also I hear pros and cons of the fuel pressure safety switch is that worth getting or what other fail safes can you run?

·
Registered
7,388 Posts

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
thank you sir willms81

understand 1st
i have the GREAT TURBO FEAR
it's all robs fault [just kidding]

2nd running where and with who, i do
i'm desperate for more power

i'm just going to start out of left field
[i seem to live there anyway]

a n2o kit, you can truly use on the street and in the mountains, is not cheap

a blast for the dragstrip, only, is much cheaper

for the dragstrip only

screw the safety stuff, most of it is just somthing else to fail
depending on how disciplined a driver you are
even a window switch, may not be necessary
[at the drags we start with high rpm and end with high rpm]

to start
consistent fuel and fuel pressure is most responsible for keeping your engine alive

the quality of the solenoids is everything, every failure that counts happens there
buy the best you can afford for the hp range your in

bottle pressure must be watched and kept in a narrow band

saftey for me is
NX solenoids and not the stainless steel ones
an aftermarket fuel pump[ [i'm using a walbro 190] and canister modded for extra flow
5 gallons of VP 101 unleaded race fuel, in the tank [guards against detonation and poor gas with ethanol]
new copper plugs, read at the track after an easy run

plugs read right
solenoids right
fuel supply and pressure right
octane level right
bottle pressure right

runs right

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've been reading the post that willms81 posted up and from what I gather is I need the nitrous kit (thinking of getting NX), window switch, wot switch, wideband, step colder plugs (copper),bottle heater, retard timing 2 degrees, a walbro 190, nitrous pressure gauge and some sort of safety mechanism. So Wat sort of safety mechanism do y'all recommend? Also is one step colder good for 75 shot or should I get 2 step just to be sure

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also yogi you say fuel pressure and fuel consistency is also very important so do you recommend I get a fpss in case it does fail or no? Also I know this is gona sound like a dumb question but I just don't know, when you refill the bottle do you have to go to a car performance shop or can you just go to any place that sells compressed gas such as a welding shop etc.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
if the fpss fails more often then the pump what good is it?

i'm just about to run the least expensive n2o system i can
it is just a mock up of what the 1st stage will be like later

please understand i have studied this for years, and i'm going to stake my motor on it
if you understand where i'm coming from, we will be good

i found na with just 180 hp, i couldn't get this heavy car off the line, with a decent size set of slicks
but what if it had 50 more horse right from the start

my 1st stage is "get the heavy beast moving"
so thats what i'm going to to test
a 50 shot right off the line to get the bigger slicks to work

trying to use a NX mainline kit [with the tiny piranha nozzle and new stainless solenoids, for the 4-5 times they will be used]
to facilitate this testing

i'm using a wot switch
a window switch
copper plugs [lots of them]
bottle in the trunk, n2o line under the car
safety pressure release on the bottle but no blow down tube
n2o gauge on the bottle
[after nhra runs, bottle will be in the back seat and nylon n2o line run inside the car]
walbro pump
101 octane unleaded race gas
a switch driven, solenoid activated bottle closer
[if in trouble, throw the switch and instant bottle off]

and i'm still not sure i need the bottle closer

there is also an associated meth kit that may or may not be installed
seems race gas is easier and less troublesome to use

the more conservative types, will give further direction i hope

please go to the NX site and read everything they have [NOS too]
it may take several hours but it will save you so much trouble

nitrous here, comes at the racetrack or nearby, from guys who have the equipment,
look on craigs list or ask your local drag strip, who sells race gas and nitrous
5.50 a lb approx

lets be clear
i'm using
no purge
no bottle heater
no fpss
no afr guage

later the mainline n2o solenoid will be the purge solenoid for the 2nd stage
a maximizer 4, n20 progressive controller is the anticipated, controller
along with their failsafe separate fuel tank and pump for the by then, total 150 shot

an afr gauge will be used tied to the n2o controller, so it maintains constant afr with the big shot

but this is down the road

if everything holds, may 11 will be it's debut with a 50shot

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
i ran nitrous for years, loved it and always got a "wtf!? a sentra on nitrous!?" used it strickly at the track cause it was almost useless on the streets.

i would definatley avoid any push button activated setup,(fast n furious style) in the heat of the moment any driver will make a poor decision. spray too early and/or not at full throttle and the nos pools up and boom! spray for too long and hit the rev limiter and she'll start cooking the qr from the inside out. (assuming our rev limiter is a fuel cut, i never looked into it)

i ran a window switch to avoid this, set my target rpm's to start/stop spraying when i wanted and my zex kit tapped into the tps so it could only spray at full throttle while inbetween my target rpms, let me consentrate on the real task of launching the spec. window switch also allowed to skip a gear or 2 before spraying if needed.

in my area only 2 parts stores sold nitrous, might wanna call around cause i was in the states once and nobody sold it anywheres!

so i just kept it basic with a zex wet kit (only run a wet kit btw), zex window switch, in cabin pressure guage, wideband, heater, plugs, timing. used the oem pump for a while but got too nervous and swapped in a 255. the zex jet charts had it running a bit rich so i took it to the tuners and we swapped some jets around to dial it in but it was just fine with the original recommended jetting. like yogi said solenoid failure will suck bad so as tempting as a used system is i slept better knowing my solenoids were brand new and un molested.

get a good bottle heater, i got the plug n play zex model for the cigaret lighter and it got luke warm at best. i had better results by parking with the bottle facing the direct sunlight :p

as fun at it all was i still ended up going turbo, mostly to frighten yogi, but i still wanted more... all the time... without having to stop and fill the bottle. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts