A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
6,138 Posts
Agreed. Looks like youre only measuring the single cable, which now you know pulls 21A. The rule of thumb is that the fuse should double normal amperage pull, so maybe a 40 or 50A fuse is whats needed for that particular cable depending on max demand. There might be some other electrical knowledge needed about this and may not be so simple, but youre on the right track

What is it, looks like speaker or an amp cable?

Kaiweets is a funny word to say

· Registered
2002 Nissan Sentra SER SPEC V
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I have no idea about the brand Kaiweets.. but it seems to be doing the job.

EDIT: SHOULD HAVE OPTED FOR THE MODEL WITH BLUETOOTH BUT ONLY UP TO 600AMPS FOR $10 MORE!!

It isn't the ground wire to the negative terminal by the way. The fuselink attaches to the positive terminal directly and there is no way for my to clamp to it unless I add another wire in series between the positive terminal and fuselink. I used a spare ground cable to do that. The gauge maybe too small but the car started no problem. Wire was hot after testing for 5 minutes though so I wouldn't leave it on any longer.

I did another measurement after the fuselink and the readings are generally the same.. around 20 Amps.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

I can't get to the wire that connects to the alternator unless I jack up the car.. but part of me is getting lazy at taking out the jack and taking out tools just to get to the wire to do a measurement.

As for finding someone to help me Rev the car while measuring I need to find someone down to do it at work.. I asked the wifey but my science experiment scares her lol and my toddler is way too young to help. Everyone else is scattered in different places/ too far away.

· Registered
743 Posts
Taking measurements with a clamp meter around a wiring loom is not accurate either since there may be negative wires running in the loom which will SUBTRACT current from the positive current carrying wires in the same loom.
Since there will be current flowing from the alternator and the battery depending on connections, you need to find a single point of current flow through the fusible link either before or after to best measure what current might be flowing through it.

· Registered
2002 Nissan Sentra SER SPEC V
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Giving an update. So I took the car to a shop to get an oil change about a month ago since it was due. But honestly I just wanted to get an excuse to get the guy to measure the draw for me. When I picked up the car we were talking about cars etc etc. And I asked about the measurement. He said "around 80 amps" and everything looks normal. He then said that when I mentioned that my negative cable strap was bad last time is probably what caused the fuselink to melt. We proceeded to more small talk about cars..

I forgot to ask him how he measured it.. 😞

My car has been fine since and all is well. Anyway I learned to Check those terminals! Check those cables! The solution is probably easier than we think!

Reactions: Tritton

· Registered
6,138 Posts
I hope you mean 80 Milliamps. Eh alittle high, rule of thumb is 50mA or less is normal.

The way you test it is with an accurate amp meter like a Fluke meter. Set it to amps. Disconnect the neg battery cable. Hook up + meter poker to the cable, hook up - meter poker to the battery post and hold with vise grips. All the doors closed and everything off, wait for the car computers to go to sleep after 10 mins and read the draw from there. The hard part is finding it by either visual or audible inspection first. If nothing, pull each and every fuse one by one to see when the draw drops.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts