A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
first post here - I've had a B15 for 3 years now, and had an itch to scratch that spiraled out of control... So I developped some open-source software to reflash these ECUs over the OBD K-line. No need to open the ECU case; it's the same process that the dealership would use.

It took me 2-3 years to get there, and I like the result - a partial reflash can take as little as ~20 seconds, full reflash in ~ 5 minutes. For now I have kernels for more recent (roughly >2004) ECUs which use the SH7058 or 180nm SH7055 ICs. A lot (all ?) 00-02 ECUs use the older 350nm SH7055. Those would need a different kernel which I could make if there was enough interest (the kind of interest with a $ sign at the end, I should say : ))

I post builds of the software (nisprog) on the RomRaider forums -

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13259

[EDIT]
Thanks to a few generous contributors, everything required to reflash the pre-04 ECUs is now available (notably, the "350nm kernel" I mentioned). See my announcement post from page 5 :
http://www.b15u.com/threads/51874-open-source-ECU-reflash-solution?p=1433538&viewfull=1#post1433538

·
39,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Any flashing solution is welcomed, but it would he hard to combat uprev, who is already established.

If there is another way to prove your tune, we're all ears.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Welcome to B15U.

You'd be able to make the most money out of 02/03 Spec V ECUs since UpRev does not support these years making us rely on Piggyback systems or full on stand alone systems.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Any flashing solution is welcomed, but it would he hard to combat uprev, who is already established.

If there is another way to prove your tune, we're all ears.
I agree, also any special cabling or system requirements to run the software, or even a pinout of the cabling that we could use to build an interface cable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I should clarify- I'm not a tuner, so I can't promise extra kW or HP -- I focused on the reflash operation itself. However the software being open-source has huge advantages over commercial services, and in some ways can be complementary.

As for required wiring / setup, my solution is as simple as they get :
- USB -> K-line cable (< 10$ on ebay)
- laptop

I'd like to make the software compatible with J2534 hardware (much much more reliable), but my development program ran out of free time and funds P)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Oh I should clarify- I'm not a tuner, so I can't promise extra kW or HP -- I focused on the reflash operation itself. However the software being open-source has huge advantages over commercial services, and in some ways can be complementary.

As for required wiring / setup, my solution is as simple as they get :
- USB -> K-line cable (< 10$ on ebay)
- laptop

I'd like to make the software compatible with J2534 hardware (much much more reliable), but my development program ran out of free time and funds P)
Welcome.
I am glad you ate making progress..
However Uprev is easily accessible for 04-06 drivers.

We have been working on the 02-03 privately and would love some help.

That's where your money is going to be.

The initial idea was trying tactix software for tuning but we needed help coding

Sent From My HTC 10 via Tapatalk

Reactions: shanover

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of you seem to missing the point. Uprev tuner costs almost 800$. What OP is proposing is less than 20$.
Hehe thanks, I thought that what more obvious, maybe I should reword P)

Jarek said:
Very nice. We need more people like you.
Also thanks !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since this isn't getting much attention I thought I would go ahead and post up some eye candy.

I HAVE tuned an 02 sentra locally, and multiple VQ cars using this process.

This is a screen shot from rom raider of a rom file from a 2004? sentra spec-v Canadian market car

As you can see there are many editable values(with more to come:)

Intake cam timing
Rev limit(fuel cut)
Injection Multiplier(aka "K" Value)
Ignition Timing, including where the knock sensors are more sensitive(you can see in the maps the values in red which are +128 of the rest of the map.) By removing 128 you can lower knock sensor sensitivity, which isn't provided for end users on "other" software.
Fuel compensation
Fuel Targets

This is just a start, but I can say that with rom raider, along with the definition files, and fenugrecs reflash kernel that's linked, you can tune most combos.

This is something that costs as little as $10 for the vag-kkl cable, with nothing else required.

At the moment it only supports the 04 up cars with the sh7058 processor, but maybe the 2002-2003 will be supported sometime(the one I flashed was done a different way, but all the tuning is the same.)

There is no logging , but I use a software known as "Nissan Data Scan II" to log and do troubleshooting on the Nissans that I mess around with. Its low cost at ~$60, and can log factory widebands or for cars that don't have the widebands you can integrate an innovate wideband.

The definition files that I have started to work on are at the link below, there are a only a few ecus listed as there haven't been a ton of b15 cars that have dumped their roms.

If you are interested in tuning with this the best way to get started would be to buy the kkl/vag com cable and dump your rom so that a definition file can be made.

Definitions here:
https://github.com/murphyslaw05/NissanDefs

Now for the fun part, some visual stimulation:
sentra_RR.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just so I understand,
You have tuned 02-03 Sentras but it's currently not supported?
It's not supported by the flashing kernel above that fenugrec released, but yes I have tuned one here local to me by flashing the stock ecu.

Edit:

To clarify, I used a different much more expensive way to flash them as I do not have the skills or knowledge to make a flashing kernel. What I do have is a LITTLE BIT of knowledge in going through a rom file to make a definition.

It started as a bit of a fun project to me, so I experimented on a local guy's sentra.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's not supported by the flashing kernel above that fenugrec released,
Correct. Here's a summary, hopefully clearer than my initial rambling :

1- to extract the ROM from your ECU, use nisprog (0$) + K line cable ( < 20$ shipped). Works on 01-06 ECUs, super easy.

2- to modify (tune) a ROM, you can use RomRaider (0$) or other tools; you just need maps (0$, thanks @murphys_law for those !) and some knowledge

3- to write back (flash) that modified ROM back to your ECU , either :
3A- On 04+ and maybe a few 03's (those with 1MB ROMs; SH7058 mcu) : use nisprog (0$) + my 7058 reflashing kernel (0$) + K line cable.

3B- On pre-03 : 512kB ROMs (older SH7055 cpu) : I will need help ($) to fund the development for the 7055 reflashing kernel. The result is a < 20$ method to reflash those "tough" ECUs... Bonus, I have some reflash optimizations in the kernel that can cut down the writing time from 15-20 minutes to 1-2 minutes. I think I'm the only one with that feature ? Granted, later generation CAN-enabled ECUs are already quite fast and need no extra help.

The 7058 reflashing kernel was funded through crowdsupply, and I raised 700$ on that campaign. I was already providing nisprog as free + opensource sw, so I'm definitely not getting rich with this; just trying to justify the effort P)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Correct. Here's a summary, hopefully clearer than my initial rambling :

1- to extract the ROM from your ECU, use nisprog (0$) + K line cable ( < 20$ shipped). Works on 01-06 ECUs, super easy.

2- to modify (tune) a ROM, you can use RomRaider (0$) or other tools; you just need maps (0$, thanks @murphys_law for those !) and some knowledge

3- to write back (flash) that modified ROM back to your ECU , either :
3A- On 04+ and maybe a few 03's (those with 1MB ROMs; SH7058 mcu) : use nisprog (0$) + my 7058 reflashing kernel (0$) + K line cable.

3B- On pre-03 : 512kB ROMs (older SH7055 cpu) : I will need help ($) to fund the development for the 7055 reflashing kernel. The result is a < 20$ method to reflash those "tough" ECUs... Bonus, I have some reflash optimizations in the kernel that can cut down the writing time from 15-20 minutes to 1-2 minutes. I think I'm the only one with that feature ? Granted, later generation CAN-enabled ECUs are already quite fast and need no extra help.

The 7058 reflashing kernel was funded through crowdsupply, and I raised 700$ on that campaign. I was already providing nisprog as free + opensource sw, so I'm definitely not getting rich with this; just trying to justify the effort P)
To expand on that, the cable that I have been using is the one below. Coincidentally it works for reflashing(2004-2006) and you can also use the same cable for logging with Nissan Datascan II. I may make a quick video of flashing the later model ecus when I get a chance so that everyone can see exactly how it works.

kkl.JPG

·
Registered
908 Posts
Definitely following.
How much in contribution is required?

We really need someone who knows how to flash tunes for us for a price lower then $600 each.

Or a software that's more user friendly.

I'm speaking of 02-03 obviously

We do have flashed ECUs from technosquare and such we could dump and use to flash to stock ECUs also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely following.
How much in contribution is required?

We really need someone who knows how to flash tunes for us for a price lower then $600 each.

Or a software that's more user friendly.

I'm speaking of 02-03 obviously

We do have flashed ECUs from technosquare and such we could dump and use to flash to stock ECUs also.

Bump. Also interested in the kernel. I am flashing 02-03's but it takes me about 20 minutes per flash. Cutting that by 15-20x would be great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all, sorry for fading out a bit there, I'm still here P)

I forgot to link to the previous funding campaign :
https://www.crowdsupply.com/nisprog/reflashing-kernel
(Check it out, I even vectorized that 02 specV outline image myself !! Gotta love that front grille)

It ran in august-september, and succesfully funded the 7058 reflashing kernel that is freely available since around october 2016.

I'm thinking of doing another one for the neglected, older 7055 350nm parts (pre-03 ECUs), but setting up a campaign is quite a hassle (seriously, almost as much work as the kernel itself), and takes about 10% off the amount I get in the end, so, meh...

Also, I had to think long and hard about how much to ask for the 7055 kernel... So here's a figure : 700 USD. I think it's fair, considering

• guys paying 5-600$ per tune, now the cost drops to around 0 for the reflash , plus whatever it costs to get a ROM tuned professionally if applicable.
  • since you're modifying the ROM yourself, there's no vendor lock-in, you're free to do as you please etc.
  • it's actually a lot of work ! I'd be long out of business if I was trying to make money this way.
  • I'm also the sole developper of the "nisprog" software which is used with those kernels. So that's yet more unpaid work. Of course I do all this because it's useful to me, and to some extent I enjoy the challenge, but I also try to have a life P)
I'm open to suggestions as to how to proceed with this, in the best interest of all of us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all, sorry for fading out a bit there, I'm still here P)

I forgot to link to the previous funding campaign :
https://www.crowdsupply.com/nisprog/reflashing-kernel
(Check it out, I even vectorized that 02 specV outline image myself !! Gotta love that front grille)

It ran in august-september, and succesfully funded the 7058 reflashing kernel that is freely available since around october 2016.

I'm thinking of doing another one for the neglected, older 7055 350nm parts (pre-03 ECUs), but setting up a campaign is quite a hassle (seriously, almost as much work as the kernel itself), and takes about 10% off the amount I get in the end, so, meh...

Also, I had to think long and hard about how much to ask for the 7055 kernel... So here's a figure : 700 USD. I think it's fair, considering

• guys paying 5-600$ per tune, now the cost drops to around 0 for the reflash , plus whatever it costs to get a ROM tuned professionally if applicable.
  • since you're modifying the ROM yourself, there's no vendor lock-in, you're free to do as you please etc.
  • it's actually a lot of work ! I'd be long out of business if I was trying to make money this way.
  • I'm also the sole developper of the "nisprog" software which is used with those kernels. So that's yet more unpaid work. Of course I do all this because it's useful to me, and to some extent I enjoy the challenge, but I also try to have a life P)
I'm open to suggestions as to how to proceed with this, in the best interest of all of us.
I certainly have no problem putting my money where my mouth is and contributing, any input from others?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts