A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Uprev flashes very quickly. Not sure where you heard 20min.
Very interesting, I was under the wrong impression then ! Note, is uprev also that fast even on the pre-03 ECUs ? I think later ones might have a trick to use the CAN bus to accelerate things, but I'm just speculating.

Alright then, does nisprog at least win the dump speed contest ? ~ 95 seconds for 512kB, without using the CAN bus !

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
Very interesting, I was under the wrong impression then ! Note, is uprev also that fast even on the pre-03 ECUs ? I think later ones might have a trick to use the CAN bus to accelerate things, but I'm just speculating.

Alright then, does nisprog at least win the dump speed contest ? ~ 95 seconds for 512kB, without using the CAN bus !
Uprev only works with 04+
And yeah you add a couple canbus wires behind the cluster. Idk if that's to speed things up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice!
What's your part throttle in boost AFR set too?
I just purchased a JWT Reflash.
Plan on running it with my Boosted 02 Spec.
I just saw this. I don't know what my AFR are. I figure I need to do an ECU dump to see where things are set at?

I ran a bit rich the other night, not sure if something is up, like if the bolts are loosening on the turbo again. I think I'll drive it tomorrow and I'll try to see. My commute is such that I don't get to do much pulls of any kind, possibly one 3rd gear on the way home. Thursday I want to do some pulls as I have to drive 90 minutes away.

·
Super Moderator
20,851 Posts
I just saw this. I don't know what my AFR are. I figure I need to do an ECU dump to see where things are set at?

I ran a bit rich the other night, not sure if something is up, like if the bolts are loosening on the turbo again. I think I'll drive it tomorrow and I'll try to see. My commute is such that I don't get to do much pulls of any kind, possibly one 3rd gear on the way home. Thursday I want to do some pulls as I have to drive 90 minutes away.
You have a turbo car that doesn't have a wideband??? You better get a wideband! Top priority!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have a turbo car that doesn't have a wideband??? You better get a wideband! Top priority!
I have a wide band. I just don't know what the numbers are other than "not 15" and "not 10". I think I need to set up a camera pointing at the gauges because I can't really see them when I'm going full gas. At full throttle I sometimes bottom out at or below 10, based on the loss of power. I did some 4th gear pulls, saw 10.5-11, and there it seems to pull through pretty well, i.e. power is okay.

Right now I have the OEM midpipe in, put it back in to see if that was causing any problems. Want to put the 3" one back after dealing with emissions. Engine feels like it's getting strangled with the OEM midpipe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a wide band. I just don't know what the numbers are other than "not 15" and "not 10". I think I need to set up a camera pointing at the gauges because I can't really see them when I'm going full gas. At full throttle I sometimes bottom out at or below 10, based on the loss of power. I did some 4th gear pulls, saw 10.5-11, and there it seems to pull through pretty well, i.e. power is okay.

Right now I have the OEM midpipe in, put it back in to see if that was causing any problems. Want to put the 3" one back after dealing with emissions. Engine feels like it's getting strangled with the OEM midpipe.
If you have an innovate wideband you can log it along with the ecu parameters with Nissan Data Scan II. The software is around $60 depending on exchange rate. That would be very helpful to get you dialed in.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Uhhh...yeah...2.25" piping isn't exactly good for the turbo

Sent From My HTC 10 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have an innovate wideband you can log it along with the ecu parameters with Nissan Data Scan II. The software is around $60 depending on exchange rate. That would be very helpful to get you dialed in.
Thanks. I have an AEM gauge and apparently, based on what I can find on it on AEM's page, I should have an output for the AEMscan (which seems to be datalogging software). I'm going to look into it further.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks. I have an AEM gauge and apparently, based on what I can find on it on AEM's page, I should have an output for the AEMscan (which seems to be datalogging software). I'm going to look into it further.
Yeah that will work just for seeing afr, the useful part of using an innovate WB is being able to see rpm along side, with load, BFS and other stuffs.

I may start working on a device to hook a wideband up to and emulate the Innoate protocol to be able to use any wideband, I'm just not too sure how hard its going to be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
(sorry pressed Post a bit fast)

All right, all done ! I'm releasing everything right now, so I'm not requiring any extra donations.
However, if anyone else uses this, and thinks I deserve an extra beer or two, by all means I will be very glad to accept more donations : ))

@carpediemracing , 2016/12/31
@murphys_law, 2017/01/17
@onebadwolf, 2017/01/24
@Mancuso, 2017/01/24
UHR Tuning, 2017/02/07
Hassan A., 2017/02/09
SH, 2017/02/09
PJ, 2017/02/09
NISformance.com , 2017/02/10

OK so here's where the kernel is :
https://github.com/fenugrec/npkern

that's the source code, as promised, but most of you will only need the "npk_7055_35.bin" file in precompiled/ .

and yesterday I did a quick release (1.01) of the nisprog PC software, you can get it from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nisprog/

"Stay tuned" (ha, ha) within the next few days, I had a few things waiting to be added to the kernel and nisprog but I ran out of time. Nothing critical though, everything should work fine as-is.

Of course, I'll state the obvious --
  • - The ECU is a safety-critical system in a car. Reflashing an ECU can void warranties, reduce the vehicle’s reliability, and cause a whole variety of undesirable consequences. Use of this project and any associated tools (freediag, nisprog, npkern etc) is of course entirely at the user’s risk. Standard disclaimers apply.
  • - Reflashing an ECU may be illegal in some areas. Responsibility in this matter lies again with the user.
  • - Tuning and modifying ROMs are complex skills that can only be acquired through significant investments of time and effort!
  • - These SH705* ICs are typically rated for about hundred re-write cycles, beyond which Flash retention may degrade.
    Experience seems to indicate the actual endurance can be significantly higher, but as with any Flash memory, excessive re-writes should be avoided.
  • - I offer no guaranty whatsoever, cannot be held responsible/liable for any possible problem, etc etc. The usual conditions. Both the npkern and nisprog projects are released under the GPL license.

Please, please, before trying anything, a few files that need to be read (15 minutes, tops) :
  • nisprog : README, USING.txt
  • npkern : README, doc/USING.txt
For questions or issues, I suggest posting a thread on these forums in case others can help too. For reference, here are some videos to show a bit of the workflow :

- my initial proof-of-concept video, doesn't go into much detail but does show the process in-car : https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B2Au0uikLkbuWUw5cDA2SW8zd28

- 2 nice videos by murphys_law , to explain the workflow more globally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awEj4pg2TQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Q9oynK964

PS - I'm taking a short break too, and will be away for a few days.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I got a ecu with bad membery i can try to find a chip that can take live tuning.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts