A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a 2005 Sentra ser spec v with 90k miles and I’m new to driving stick which led to my horrific ride coming home.I bought the car from a guy who seemed nice and we test drove it and nothing seemed odd.I decided to plug in my OB2 Sensor to check for codes and nothing appeared.

we made the sale and I drove off to an hour drive home as a new manual driver.My mistakes were when I was stopped at a steep downhill and had a car behind me and reved the piss out of 1st gear at 6k rpm.My second mistake was starting in 3rd from a red light which cause my wheels to lock up but I proceeded to go.

now i came home and I decided to check my car for codes once again and got hit with P0300 Multiple random misfires ?? Could I have caused this by Starting in 3rd and reving 1st gear?

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Coil packs are known to go out regularly. I keep a spare in my door pocket at all times.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coil packs are known to go out regularly. I keep a spare in my door pocket at all times.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Could my mistakes as a first time manual driver caused this?? Revving to 6rpms in 1st gear and starting from a light in 3rd?

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Maybe, it's a drastic load change but I doubt it, but assuming you wasn't getting a flashing or solid check engine lightthen it must have been a soft code. Let it run the course but I would normally do a full service as soon as I can on anything I purchase, change the plugs and go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe, it's a drastic load change but I doubt it, but assuming you wasn't getting a flashing or solid check engine lightthen it must have been a soft code. Let it run the course but I would normally do a full service as soon as I can on anything I purchase, change the plugs and go from there.
Yea I’m hoping just the plugs and nothing serious.I messaged the seller and he said he didn’t know about it.He told me to reach back to him if the problem continues.Im hoping it’s not the nightmare of the butterfly screws.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have had this happen when I revved the shit out of the car doing a turn (got the power slide in) and I closed up the spark plug on cylinder 3.

Like CrickiKaze said, do a full tune up and you'll probably be golden.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had this happen when I revved the shit out of the car doing a turn (got the power slide in) and I closed up the spark plug on cylinder 3.

Like CrickiKaze said, do a full tune up and you'll probably be golden.
I went through the same thing but as first time stick driver.I revved the piss out of 1st gear on super steep uphill and I revved it pretty high starting in 3rd gear which cause I mini burnout in snow.I hope I’m blessed by the Nissan gods and it turns out to be spark plugs only.I really loved the car and it only has 90k miles

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I would honestly just erase it and keep an eye on it. Starting 3rd from a stop could cause a miss just because its too slow of a rev.

Practice makes perfect 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would honestly just erase it and keep an eye on it. Starting 3rd from a stop could cause a miss just because its too slow of a rev.

Practice makes perfect 👍
The thing is scaring me too is the butterfly screws that may cause this cel.The car has a ticking noise that sound like its coming from the manifold not sure if it’s normal for a 15 year old car with 98k miles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No cel light on dash and when the ob2 scanner said no codes but when I clicked read codes that p0300 code popped up even though the ob2 scanner said no codes were found?

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
The tick from the manifold is normal.

As much as it may suck, wait for a hard code, SES light on.

One thing you can do is pull the coils and see if there is any liquid with the plug, that can cause a misfire as well due to grounding out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:The car started weird with a weird whining noise for a second followed by a stench on burnt electrical/crayon type of smell coming from the engine bay specially the passenger side is where I can smell it the most.The smell is so strong it filled my garage with and it stuck on my clothes PLEASE HELP I JUST GOT THE CAR

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
So it is either the alternator or the ac compressor, obviously leaning to the alternator as that would fit your description and I don't think you are running the ac right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The seller is blaming it on me for it because he claims he never had the problem before which is true.When I test drove the car it ran like a champ with no weird noises or smells.As I first time manual driver I was a little nervous taking the car home on a hour and half drive in stop in go traffic.I made a handful of mistakes like starting in 3rd at a light and revving pretty high in 1st gear and bogging.My brother has a g35 and his car is more forgiving I don’t know why sentras are so fragile haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from the Nissan dealership from a a few results.
For the misfiring they confirmed
1.spark plugs are burnt
2.CAI not responding well
Also did a compression test
#1-170
#2-170
#3-100
#4-170
They are now going to perform a leak test on cylinder 3.Is the engine pretty much done at this point?? Can I still expect to drive the car for a good amount time before she take a crap?

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Cylinder 3.... wonder if that is a head gasket failure... though ther rest of the cylinders look good.

Figured spark plugs would be a culprit but top be burnt out... eh.

What do you mean CAI not responding well.

I would still run it.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I have bought and sold (honestly!) a fair number of cars. I have to believe the seller was lying.

The burning smell sounds kind of electrical. Alternators do fail in that way. Have to pinpoint that. If its a slight knock then cant worry about that. If it sounds like a handful of quarters were tossed into the oil cap, you might have an issue.

Super hard to say as always tho without being there, Im sure I could point it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No even the Nissan tech was surprised about cylinder 3! He mention that the engine was so smooth and didn’t feel anything he’s scratching his head why only 100psi.I might just end up parting ways with it.I was considering it a daily but not anymore

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
I'm all most certain cylinder 3 I's the head gasket which can be done in less than a day unless the head needs milled.

Have you checked your lemon laws yet? May not apply here but I wouldn't know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts