A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Automatic QR25DE

I have a rough idle when in D stopped which occasionally has a hiccup but does not stall. Drives fine.
Replaced cam and crank sensors and heated O2 sensor, cleaned MAF and TB, done pedal and TB relearn with idle relearn.

Pedal dance shows code 0350
Wondering what is the difference between 0300 Random/Multiple Misfire and 0350 Ignition Coil Primary/Secondary Malfunction and why I don't get a code for a specific coil.

My guess is I should check all wiring, connectors and grounds first then possibly replace all coilpacks ?
Coil packs are original @ 200,000kms running

·
Administrator
6,791 Posts
I'll have to further look into the code but yeah, coil packs don't last forever and they may finally be done but with it being summer I'm sure that heat isn't helping extend their life. With the motor still fresh from your rebuild i don't see it being the motor.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a vacuum leak possibly cause this ?

While crawling over the motor doing the other stuff, I found the vac line from the solenoid to the purge canister was not reconnected and have also found the main wiring loom not clipped to the back of the manifold along with a large hose also at the rear of the manifold not screwed onto its bracket.
So it makes me wonder if there is another hose not connected or possibly the intake manifold not tightened properly.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ok why havent you replaced the ignition coil for whatever cylinder.

It should describe a certain cylinder. I think it depends on how it fails if it throws a p0300-304 vs an ign coil code.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok why havent you replaced the ignition coil for whatever cylinder.
Because the 0350 code does not specify a particular cylinder and there were no other codes besides that one.
I tested each coil by unplugging them one at a time and the idle got rougher as you would expect running on 3 cylinders so it is a random thing like reduced voltage rather than a specific failed coil.

·
Administrator
6,791 Posts
That code was not in any of the three fsm I have, or I over looked them which is pretty hard when I'm looking at the list that's in numerical order... it's a weird code as I doubt the ecu would say i can't due off the coils properly and that they would all fall at the same time...

The vacuum leak for the emissions should have thrown its own code one would think but it would surprise me if it was linked. I think the common ground for the coils might be an issue but you might have to check each wire... not a lot of help on this one as it's weird with limited checks and info.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That code was not in any of the three fsm I have, or I over looked them which is pretty hard when I'm looking at the list that's in numerical order... it's a weird code as I doubt the ecu would say i can't due off the coils properly and that they would all fall at the same time...
It is in the list on this site

·
Administrator
6,791 Posts
I found it yesterday doing a search, but it wasn't in the fsm I have.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
P0350 is also not in alldata. Weird

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so it seems the 0350 code was from my unplugging each of the coils one after the other while testing for a bad coil because I cleared the code, restarted the Xtrail, still had the rough idle but then rechecked the codes and 0000.

·
Administrator
6,791 Posts
How far did you drive after clearing?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About a minute or 2, not far.
I got a video of the engine vibration when rough idling in drive but my Pixel4 video format won't play in Windows so I have to find out how to convert it for you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Automatic QR25DE

I have a rough idle when in D stopped which occasionally has a hiccup but does not stall. Drives fine.
Replaced cam and crank sensors and heated O2 sensor, cleaned MAF and TB, done pedal and TB relearn with idle relearn.

Pedal dance shows code 0350
Wondering what is the difference between 0300 Random/Multiple Misfire and 0350 Ignition Coil Primary/Secondary Malfunction and why I don't get a code for a specific coil.

My guess is I should check all wiring, connectors and grounds first then possibly replace all coilpacks ?
Coil packs are original @ 200,000kms running
Start with the easy stuff first, change spark plugs.
my 03 spec V idle fluctuates when using the AC, changed the spark plugs and it cleared right up. All 4 spark plugs looked good with no deterioration, change them anyway problem solved.

·
Registered
2003 Sentra SE-R Auto
13 Posts
The recommendation above about the spark plugs is where I would start. I had the same exact thing with my 03 auto SE-R. It had a very rough idle in drive at a stop and occasionally felt like it was going to die out. No codes either. I looked everywhere and finally replaced the spark plugs, after that she idled like a new car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts