A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've had the SES light on my 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec V for a few months, I scan it every once in a while and I always get the P0444 Code which has to do with the EVAP Purge Canister.

So I finally got around to trying to fix it so far I've only checked out the fuse number 20, 10A fuse which in is the cabin fuse box expecting it to be blown, but it's fine so we can rule that out.

Has anyone fixed this code?

Thanks in advanced.

JD

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
lol i have this code all the time on my 02 max...cant figure it out for shit...so i just leave it lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
That code sets when either low or no voltage is received from the EVAP Canister Purge Valve indicating an open in the circuit. The open is going to be either in the valve itself or in the connector/wiring. I would start with replacing the valve & checking the connector/wiring coming from it to make sure there are no obvious problems (connector broken/disconnected, terminals corroded, or wire chaffed/broken).

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the valve its on top of the intake manifold which I think is the solenoid and not the valve itself.. It seems to be connected properly all the cables are fine. So I should replace the valve, Any guides to doing that? Lol.

JD

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Valve and solenoid are the same part. Nissan's actual name for it in the service manual is the Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve. LOL. And yes I would start with replacing that first.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So about 7 months later, LOL, I got a new, well used Evap Purge Valve/Solenoid, it is in fully working condition.
I installed it yesterday, reset my codes, drove around, turned off car, turned it back on, no SES light. Decided to scan my codes, got a pending P0444 Code again, thought maybe I needed to drive to car more to get it to erase, well today I drove it and the SES light turned on, scanned my codes, and to my amazement it was the DTC P0444 Code, so It's still their, guess my original Solenoid is in full working condition it must be something else.

Anybody have any idea's as to what to look for now?
Has anyone fixed this code?
All help is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
did you test the solenoid before replacing it or did you just start throwing parts at it? every solenoid is essentially an electro-magnetic valve. every solenoid is going to have a single coil of wire around a metal core. every solenoid is going to have two pins. every solenoid is going to give you a resistance value when checked with an ohm meter. every solenoid can be activated with a 9V battery.

start there before throwing parts at it. there is a service procedure for checking this code in the FSM. don't buy used sensors or solenoids.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
did you test the solenoid before replacing it or did you just start throwing parts at it? every solenoid is essentially an electro-magnetic valve. every solenoid is going to have a single coil of wire around a metal core. every solenoid is going to have two pins. every solenoid is going to give you a resistance value when checked with an ohm meter. every solenoid can be activated with a 9V battery.

start there before throwing parts at it. there is a service procedure for checking this code in the FSM. don't buy used sensors or solenoids.
Thanks for the advice, No I didn't check it with the procedure, I was reading it right now on the FSM. BUT I didn't think of checking the solenoid valve because the seller was very honest, and I asked if the car ever had Evap codes or specifically the P0444, he said no never, so I went for it, extremely cheap so it doesn't even matter.

I had that code, it ended up being that the wire broke that goes into the connector on it. Just re soldered it and it fixed it
Hmmm, broken wire, I'm going to have to run out and check that right now. Thanks!
Just came back from the car right now, double checked the fuse lol, not it either.

Another thing, the car feels more powerful and alive without the SES light on, LOL.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys, Checked the two wires going into the plug, Their both fine. Tried following them to see were they lead, they go and join other wires in between the valve cover and the intake manifold, so no luck with that either. I'm stumped..

·
Registered
977 Posts
I didn't see if you checked to see if it is even getting power to it. Engine off key on it should have 12v. If the solenoid is good then it is in the wiring. If you have battery voltage there then you need to get to the plug for the ecu and check for continuity, I don't know what pin it is, refer to the fsm. There isn't much that can go wrong there. Just visually inspecting the wires is a pain in the ass and not good enough.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't see if you checked to see if it is even getting power to it. Engine off key on it should have 12v. If the solenoid is good then it is in the wiring. If you have battery voltage there then you need to get to the plug for the ecu and check for continuity, I don't know what pin it is, refer to the fsm. There isn't much that can go wrong there. Just visually inspecting the wires is a pain in the ass and not good enough.
Nope, I haven't checked that!
I looked through my tools, I got a 6-12V Circuit tester; It's like a screw driver that lights up lol.
Well how could I check it for electricity using that? Also their are 2 cables coming into the plug, which one would I need to test.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just got back from the car, tested the fuse number 20, lite up, so we got electricity their. Also tested the plug that goes into the Evap Solenoid and there's power their also, Now I'm really stumped!

If I'm getting electricity, The Evap Solenoid is fine, then why I'm I getting that P0444 Code! It makes my car feel somewhat sluggish, and I'm pretty sure my terrible gas mileage is to blame on having an emission related code which causes closed loop.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You also have to check the ground side of the circuit for continuity. Look at the electrical diagram and get your figures from that. It could be something as stupid as your gas cap with evap codes

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You also have to check the ground side of the circuit for continuity. Look at the electrical diagram and get your figures from that. It could be something as stupid as your gas cap with evap codes
Thanks for your help so far everyone!
I have no clue how to check the ground side for continuity? Lol, Sorry.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts