A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The MAF is new. I have read where it could be the ground on the MAF, any idea where the ground wire is or how to reground it?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V
130 Posts
Is it OEM new or is it auto parts store new? I went through a junkyard sensor and an auto parts store sensor before I bought an OEM one and problem solved. OEM sensors are expensive but it could be your issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That could be it, I bought this one from an auto parts store but it sure wasn't cheap.
I found out what the problem is today, I pressurized the exhaust system today and sprayed soapy water on the exhaust flange that bolts up to the head. This catalytic converter is leaking big time also. This is the 4th catalytic converter on this car all so far have leaked. Check out the photo.

Does any one know where I can buy one of the thick header exhaust manifold gaskets. I found several that are thick aluminum but haven't found one to fit the 2008 SE R Spec V. Anyone have a link where I may find one.
Exhaust Leak Again.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V
130 Posts
I don't use the metal gasket on the exhaust manifold for that same reason. I bought one from autozone that's that thick material and no leaks. I'd try there first, I think its like a $12 gasket

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
The metal gasket is what you need. The most important thing is that you have to make sure that both surfaces on the exhaust and the block are clean. Torque down the exhaust nuts tight from the inside out. Should not leak. The graphite gaskets leave behind alot of meterial that is hard to clean off and also deteriorates over time from heat and water. Use a Nissan gasket if youre in question.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You can use the b15 one as they have the same layout on the exhaust side.
Thanks fellows, I appreciate your help. I will pressurize the exhaust system while tightening the manifold this time, I will see if there are any leaks as I tighten the manifold this time. I will let you guys know how it turned out and what I did.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I got the exhaust leak stopped completely....for now. I used some high heat copper gasket stuff and put it in between two aluminum gaskets. I pressurized the exhaust system and tightened the converter bolts. I left the fans out so I could get the shield back on after finishing. I ran the car until it got to operating temps, re torqued the converter bolts. As of now the exhaust does not leak, I just hope it stays that long.

We took the car for a pretty good drive yesterday to see if that made a difference in the stumbling. It did slow it down some but the car still stumbles going up a hill. At the 26 mile mark, the car spit a dad blame code P0037. It says Bank 1 sensor 2 or could be sensor 2 fuse. Anyone have a clue where this fuse might be?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Good luck on the double gasket.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I am kinda holding my breath on the double gasket and keep hoping it will hang in there. I tried to find one of the thick aluminum gaskets they use on headers but had no luck there. I will keep looking and hope I can find one before the double gaskets give out.

I did find why the car spit a P0037 code yesterday, one of the heater wires on my down stream 02 sensor was cut. How in the world it got cut is beyond me. It was about 2 inches down inside the protective cover. The strange thing is, there wasn't a mark on the sleeve at all. If something had cut it, it would have cut that sleeve also. The wire was not pulled apart, it was cut clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
The cut wire is wild lol. Sometimes those things are unexplainable. Maybe it was a point of flex??

I think youll be in good shape from here on out. I really think a quality metal gasket and a clean surface will solve the problem completely without worry, and will last forever.

Reactions: BigJim1

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Here is the latest on my SE R Spec V. I have had two more codes since I posted last time but I didn't post because I have whined so much already. lol So far the exhaust manifold gasket is holding on. I did get a code on that same 02 sensor so I tested it and sure enough, it was bad.

Bought a new one and put it in, bought a new set of fuel injectors, not the cheap ones. While I had the intake off I could get to the knock sensor so I flipped it so it is on backwards now.

I finished up this morning and drove about 40 miles. It is unreal how much different the car is now. Smooth as silk, no stumbling at all and the increase in power is amazing. Before we were getting 14-16 miles per gallon, now were are getting 30 miles per gallon. Sure makes me a happy camper.

Keeping fingers cross that it is finally running like a champ.

Cricki I don't know if turning the Knock Sensor around backward was the answer or not but it sure didn't hurt. I appreciate all your help.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts