A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

Pedal Relearn, Throttle Body Relearn and Idle Relearn

484K views 235 replies 73 participants last post by  457bg 
#1 ·
Pedal Relearn Procedure
Accerlerator Pedal Released Postion Learning is and operation to learn the full released postions of the accerlerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelearator pedal postion sensor or ECM is disconnected.

1. Make Sure the acceleartor Pedal is fully released
2. Turn Ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 Seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 Seconds
4. Turn Ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn Ignition switch off and wait at least 10 seconds

Throttle Valve Relearn
Throttle Valve Closed Postion Learning is to learn the fully closed postion of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness of
electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnect.

1.Make sure accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition ON
3. Turn igntion switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds. Make sure that the throttle valve moves during the 10 seconds by confrming the operating sound.
(You can hear the TB sound when you have key on and shifter in first gear and step on the gas. So you know what you listening for.)

Idle Air Volume Relearn Procedure
The Following Condtions Must be met in order for procedure to Work.

Battery Voltage :More than 12.9 volts at idle
Engine Coolant Temp 158-203 degrees Farenhiet
Electric Load Switch OFF i.e Air Condition, headlamps , rear defogger
Steering Wheel: Neutral Postion (Straight Ahead)
PNP Switch: OFF (Park Neutral Switch i.e. Clutch Switch...pretty sure)

1. Perform ACCERLEARATOR PEDAL RELEASED POSTIONS LEARNING
2. Perform THROTTLE VALVE CLOSED POSITION LEARNING
3. Start engine and warm it up to operation temperature
4. Turn igniton switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
5. Confirm Gas Pedal if fully realeased, then turn igniton switch ON and wait 3 seconds
6. Fully step on and release gas pedal 5 time within 5 seconds
8. Wait 7 seconds and fully step on gas and stay on until MIL stops blinking and is steady.
9. Fully release the Gas pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL has turned ON steady.
10. Start engine imediatly and let idle. Wait 20 seconds.

See less See more
#3 ·
Trying it again

This has been happening to me for about a month. I thought it was due to me having a minor accident. I tried to do the relearn as per the video, but no dice.
I'm going to try again today, b/c it sucks being stuck at a light w/people honking at you to go. Thanks for you post Ash!

#6 ·
i am having a semi related problem with my 2003 sentra spec v. a few days ago i would push the gas and nothing happens. a day later with the car still just idling, still nothing. so i towed it back to my house to work on it. started it the next morning and all it would do is turn over stutter and die, if i held the key down for a little bit longer i could force the car to start. and it would idle at about 600 rpms. today i bought a new pedal thinking it was the pedal not communicating. not the case as it would still do the same thing. so i called nissan and asked if they had a throttle body in stock and they did for 211 not a bad price. so i installed the throttle body and did all the relearn stuff and it starts just fine but surges from 1500 to 2500 and i dont know what to do anymore, i really dont want to take it to a shop. so any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

#25 ·
Yo silverbullet. thanks for the advice man but still couldn't get the relearn to work. Cleared the code, did every step and used a stop watch. Ended up taking it precision auto and the dude hooked it up to his computer and relearned it with his computer. He hooked it up for $25. The dealer wanted $96. Thanks again man.

#30 ·
did this today, the spec sat for about a year or so and the idle jumped all over the place, up to 2k sometimes.

followed the VIDEO and it worked perfect.

one big big tip.

make sure the key is NOT in lock position when doing the steps, only OFF.

#32 ·
took me about 6 times to do it, timed it by just counting out loud.

solved my idle issue and the spec is getting 27mpg now :)
30+ on the hwy.

#33 ·
1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temp.
2. Turn the ignition to the off position and wait 10 seconds
3. You turn the ignition the ON position and wait 3 seconds
4. You depress and release the gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds dont do it too fast or to slow it has to be exactly 5 seconds
5. wait 5 seconds and then fully depress the gas pedal and keep it there for 20 seconds until the SES lights starts blinking
6. fully release the gas pedal within 3 seconds after the SES light started to blink
7. Start the engine and let it idle, wait 20 seconds

this is what i did i didn't turn it on for 3 second and shut off for 10 seconds 3 times is that what i should do?

#34 · (Edited)
watch the video, those are the directions u follow.

3. You turn the ignition the ON position and wait 3 seconds
then off for 10 seconds
then on for 3 seconds
then off for 10 seconds
then on for 3 seconds
then off for 10 secs

THEN u do the rest.
just mash the gas pedal 5 times, all the way down, release, all the way down release etc.
it doesnt need to be exactly per seconds.

please watch the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.