A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and have gained a lot of information over the last few weeks. I figured I would write up a small guide on how I used plastidip to pain my emblems and grill, and put eyelids on my headlights.

My Spec V is bone stock, with no interior or exterior modifications. The previous owner was a quiet guy who took great care of the car. I've been looking to do some mods to make the car stand out a little more. Painting the badges and doing eyelids seemed like cheap and easy mods to do for a quick change. I came across Plastidip and the growing cult of people who swear by it, and decided to pick up a couple cans. In Ontario (canada) this stuff is pretty expensive, about $20 for a spray can (wtf?), so I had my brother grab a can of white and black in michigan for me for a much easier $7 a can.

The stuff is very easy to use. You simply cover up the parts of the car that you don't want painted and do between 4-6 light coats of the paint over the area. Yesterday was the first sunday of football this year so I just reapplied the paint every 40 mins or so while watching football. The following are some pictures about halfway through the process:

IMG-20120909-00160.jpg
IMG-20120909-00161.jpg
IMG-20120909-00163.jpg
IMG-20120909-00164.jpg

The grill took me two steps, as I wanted to coat the front emblem with the white plastidip for some contrast on the black background. This is how easy it is to peel off the plastidip:

IMG-20120909-00165.jpg

I then finished up the coats (I think 6 in total, I really wanted a thick, deep coat) and let it dry overnight. These are some shots of me peeling the residue off and the finished product:

IMG-20120910-00166.jpg
IMG-20120910-00167.jpg
IMG-20120910-00168.jpg
IMG-20120910-00169.jpg
IMG-20120910-00170.jpg

The final product is very clean and pretty much what I hoped for. There were some problems with the peeling though. The reason the spray peels so easily is because if there is a crack or gap where you are spraying, the substance will not adhere and it will be easy to peel. The issue I had was on the front emblem, the gaps were not as big as I hoped and as I was peeling I pulled some of what I wanted. Using an exacto knife and painter's tape helps to remove this issue, but you must be careful when doing delicate parts.

I encourage anyone to give this a try because it really is easy and gives a decent result. Let me know what you think of the write up and the car!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool beans bro, but did you loctite your butterfly screws and install and aftermarket catless header?
Not yet. I dont really have the tools to do the butterfly screws here at school but I will be doing it at some point if I can get to my buddy's garage. What is a 'catless' header, and where can I get one?

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Not yet. I dont really have the tools to do the butterfly screws here at school but I will be doing it at some point if I can get to my buddy's garage. What is a 'catless' header, and where can I get one?
You don't have a socket set a screwdriver and a pair of pliers?

It's a header without a cat, you need to get one ASAP, browse the FS section here or buy one from ebay, anything is better than the stock header, the cat material is know to break up and ruin motors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
39,082 Posts
Not a bad result.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It's a header without a cat, you need to get one ASAP, browse the FS section here or buy one from ebay, anything is better than the stock header, the cat material is know to break up and ruin motors.
Or order one from MarkSpecV here in the group buy section

Reactions: Mitchell Spec V

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't have a socket set a screwdriver and a pair of pliers?

Or order one from MarkSpecV here in the group buy section

I'm not about to start tearing apart my car in the middle of my apartment parking lot is what I'm saying. I think I am mechanically capable of doing it as soon as I can get to a garage or clean work space.

I want to upgrade my I/H/E and I think I will start with the an XS Header, Midpipe, and Racepipe. MarkSpecV has a lot of stuff available, thanks for telling me about that. If I want to upgrade my intake, how much difference does a cold air intake make if I'm just naturally aspirated?

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
I'm not about to start tearing apart my car in the middle of my apartment parking lot is what I'm saying. I think I am mechanically capable of doing it as soon as I can get to a garage or clean work space.

I want to upgrade my I/H/E and I think I will start with the header and midpipe. MarkSpecV has a lot of stuff available, thanks for telling me about that. If I want to upgrade my intake, how much difference does a cold air intake make if I'm just naturally aspirated?

You can loctite the butterfly screws and be done in just under an hour while parked on the shoulder of the Interstate...no joke!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
895 Posts
a Sabres fan, and a Leafs Fan... you guys live on the wrong coast CANUCKS REPRESENTIN'... okay nuff gangster... looks really goot... it pops really well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
a Sabres fan, and a Leafs Fan... you guys live on the wrong coast CANUCKS REPRESENTIN'... okay nuff gangster... looks really goot... it pops really well.
Oh tell me how awesome a cup victory feels....oh wait. Haha CHIIIITOWNNN

Yes and looks good. I plan on doing my wheels soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts